Answered

Sonos Multi Room Setup

• 2 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I recently got  a new place and would like to set up with Sonos eco system. I want to make sure if I get the following

Living room (TV) - ARC, Sub Gen 3, One (total 4 - 2 front and 2 back)

Bedroom (TV) - Beam, One (2 total) 

Office (Computer) - One (two total) 

3 other bedrooms(future) additional Ones

• Will I be able to control them individually by room with two TVs and office computer playing at the same time?  
  • Can multiple users take care playing music by the room? Just like first question but via Spotify and not TV
  • Do I need anything else to make sure I can do all the above items but need additional Sonos devices possibly?

And I am assuming it is possible to  play by one user with all sonos devices.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 January 2022, 21:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

For the living room, you can only add two Ones as rear surrounds. You cannot add two Ones in front. The Arc already acts as the center, left front and right front channels of the 5.1.2 setup. Also, you can save money by using the One SLs instead since you cannot use the microphones on the Ones when they are being used as surrounds. Same for the two Ones in the bedroom.

For the office, Ones aren’t designed to be used as computer speakers unless you have a Mac and plan on connecting to them over AirPlay. You are better off finding speakers made for computers.

Will I be able to control them individually by room with two TVs and office computer playing at the same time?  

Each room can be controlled individually or the rooms can be grouped together to play the same audio.

Can multiple users take care playing music by the room? Just like first question but via Spotify and not TV

Users can play music to a specific room from Spotify from the Sonos app, through Spotify Connect, or over AirPlay with an iOS device.

Userlevel 7

Living Room _Arc + Sub + One SL x 2 in rear

Bed Room_Beam2 + One SL x 2 in rear

3rd Room_Any combo of above for TV

All rooms are independent or can be grouped to play same music source 

All rooms can be voiced controlled to play music in same room or command to play music in another room. 

No other speakers are needed for your proposed setup in any room. 

Note: Sonos speakers are not designed to connect directly to a computer. You might connect a single Roam or Move via Bluetooth. 

For the living room, you can only add two Ones as rear surrounds. You cannot add two Ones in front. The Arc already acts as the center, left front and right front channels of the 5.1.2 setup. Also, you can save money by using the One SLs instead since you cannot use the microphones on the Ones when they are being used as surrounds. Same for the two Ones in the bedroom.

For the office, Ones aren’t designed to be used as computer speakers unless you have a Mac and plan on connecting to them over AirPlay. You are better off finding speakers made for computers.

Will I be able to control them individually by room with two TVs and office computer playing at the same time?  

Each room can be controlled individually or the rooms can be grouped together to play the same audio.

Can multiple users take care playing music by the room? Just like first question but via Spotify and not TV

Users can play music to a specific room from Spotify from the Sonos app, through Spotify Connect, or over AirPlay with an iOS device.

But I can use 2 Sonos Five and connect with Audio with 3.5 jack on one and setup for 2 from app for computer?  

It’s not really clear what you’re asking. 

Yes, you can set up a stereo pair of Sonos Fives that play an analog line in on one of them. 

There’s a minimum of a 75 ms delay on any analog line in on Sonos, so the Sonos Fives will be slightly behind anything showing on the screen, so playing games or watching video streams will be unsatisfactory.

No, you can not set up Sonos speakers using the controller on a desktop. The set up function is only available on a mobile controller. Once set up, though, either desktop or mobile controllers can be used to control the speakers. 

Userlevel 7

But I can use 2 Sonos Five and connect with Audio with 3.5 jack on one and setup for 2 from app for computer?  

From Sonos:

A quick note on Play:5, Five, Connect:Amp, Port and Connect
While it is possible to use these players with a PC by connecting to their line-in ports, this isn’t a recommended solution if you’re planning on doing something that requires audio/video synchronization. There will be a minimum of a 75ms delay on the audio due to the signal processing performed on the line-in side. If synchronization isn’t an issue for you, you can simply connect the device to your PCs headphone or line out jack like you would a pair of regular headphones.