Answered

Sonos Move not showing on Android App, but works from PC

• 22 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So.. My Sonos Move ran out of juice. A typical situation, no doubt. It showed in the Android App as offline. I tapped it a few times (don’t know why, I guess I was a bit trigger happy) and it disappeared from the list of devices. 

I put it to charger base. It didn’t reappear. I tried reset + add new device, for very 1/5th of a second it finds Sonos Move, but then that window goes away and the app keeps searching for a device. Hmm I wonder, reboot the phone, same continues. I can’t add it, I can’t reset & add it. 

I go look from the Windows Desktop app. Well - in there, I can see it. I can control it. I can’t control it via Alexa tho. 

Sent diagnostics reports, mobile n667243110, desktop n16643197. 

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 24 December 2020, 00:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The only ‘bogging down’ that could potentially occur is if you were to use the same channel for both SonosNet and your own WiFi, which is why Sonos tells you to use 1, 6 or 11, so it doesn’t overlap with the channel on your router. Not sure what your link has to do with anything, though, there’s only advertising, and not any image supporting your suggestion. 

SonosNet uses the DHCP function of your router to assign IP addresses, but there’s no other ‘collisions’ possible beyond simple wifi interference .

The trouble though along with your Sonos app being sluggish and gradual to update way your router is for a few cause nonetheless bogging down as you can *** Running Sonosnet this is odd - and looks as if something is meddling with the router (a few sort of interference or networking storm that is bogging down router).

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct. Specifically, removed spam link.*

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @boogey,

Thanks for your response and for updating us. We appreciate all your time and effort to get this resolved.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps that might work for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from your Apple music and observe.
  2. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If there’s no improvement in your system after going through the steps, at this point, I would recommend contacting our phone support team to look into your Sonos system and find out what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

Just so that you know, this case was/still is being also investigated by customer support (via phone support). But to answer your questions:

• I have one router, Ubiquiti UDM Pro
  • I have rebooted the UDM Pro twice
  • Yes, my wired PC’s are connected to the same UDM Pro as Sonos Five is

After factory resetting Sonos Move few times, it has disappeared also from the Windows application. Process goes now so, that Android App finds the Sonos Move, does all the setup fine, but then doesn’t show it on the system list. When I go to reboot the Sonos Move (as instructed by the app), Android App shows “Move Unknown Room” until it has rebooted and connected to the network - and then it disappears again from the App. 

Funny enough, some hours later, Alexa finds the Sonos Unknown Room and is able to play via it. But I cannot see it in Windows nor Android app. 

As instructed by the very helpful support person on the phone, we changed some settings on the Ubiquiti UDM Pro, mainly we removed the automatic wifi optimization from use. This did not help. We also removed SonosNet from use and have all the devices just on WiFi. This didn’t change anything either. 

But, what did change, is that some hours later also two Symfonisk speakers disppeared from the both Windows & Android versions of the app. They still work fine when operated thru Alexa. 

Spotify does not see any of the “disappeared” devices as “cast" destinations. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @boogey

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, both your mobile device and windows pc are connected to the same network. I can see your Sonos Move in both reports. Your Sonos Move is always connecting to your WiFi network (Ubiquiti). However, your Sonos Five is wired to an "Unknown" router. This could be a network-related issue why you can't see your Sonos Move even though you have one speaker wired to your router.

To check further on your concern, I’d like to ask some questions:

• How many routers do you have?
  • Can you let us know the make and model of your routers?
  • Have you tried turning off your Ubiquiti?
  • Is your Windows PC wired to the same router as your Sonos Five?

Additional information about your network setup would help us understand what's going on with your Sonos system. We'll be waiting for your response.