Answered

SONOS macOS app crashes on startup on Mojave Public Beta 1

Unable to launch the app successfully -- crashes every time. Excerpts from crash below. If someone from SONOS wants the entire log entry, reach out.

Process: Sonos [4618]
Path: /Applications/Sonos.app/Contents/MacOS/Sonos
Identifier: com.sonos.macController
Version: 8.6 (43.3.54020)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Sonos [4618]

Date/Time: 2018-06-30 10:11:15.174 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14 (18A314k)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y664)

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [4618]
icon

Best answer by gavingks 1 July 2018, 18:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Good information for Sonos to have, thanks for providing it. I've not run in to any issues with the non-beta build of the Mac OS.
Although it's highly likely that Sonos will have iOS/macOS beta builds in their labs, they don't actually support them officially.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I had the same issue but fixed it but going in to preferences and authorising Sonos to "Control my Computer" in privacy settings. May work for others
Thanks for this, that fixed it. It's under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Accessibility. Make sure SONOS is checked. This is an arcane bug, however, that needs to be addressed in a subsequent release of SONOS.
Thanks for the specific instructions, I really appreciate it! These things are expected with even a public beta, but it is nice to have my app back!
Worked perfect! Thanks! -I do remember a pop up advising this but it never came back.
Perfect! Thx.
It hasn't worked for me. Can't load my music library since updating to Mojave. Sonos you on this?
Badge
Does anyone else think that Sonos should either:
1) Update the Sonos Controller app to not require access to the 'Control my Computer' system permission, or;
2) Explain to users why this permission is required?

I have raised this directly with Sonos and was staggered with the reply: "Because these settings are related to the latest Mac OSX update, we suggest reaching out to Apple directly." When I challenged this I got the same line again: "As previously mentioned there has been no changes made to the Sonos application. ... For specific details on these changes, you'll need to reach out to Apple directly. As the code and operation of the Sonos application has been unchanged, we don't have the ability detail the what changes where included in the latest operating system update."

This seems to completely miss the point that developers should stay abreast of OS changes and modify apps or explain new warnings and permissions to users in advance of the OS update being rolled out. Literally every other piece of software on my system received an update in advance of Mojave - Sonos appear to think they're exempt!

For now I've done the same as most as just approved the security request, as fundamentally I do trust Sonos, but the poor response has really surprised me. Not what I'd expect from a company selling premium products at premium prices!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Apple have a really bizarre attitude to App Compatibility. Instead of making newer OS versions run all the older apps, they require everyone to fix their apps with each OS release.
There's a lot not to like about my Sonos, especially this issue. Overall good solid C-.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You installed a Beta version of an operating system, and are complaining an app doesn't totally work on it. You know what "beta" means, right? I assume Apple provide a way of reporting issues with their OS betas (which is the whole point of giving non-technical users access to them), I suggest you use it. If you are not willing to have things not work perfectly, don't install betas of operating systems. Or apps for that matter.
Badge
You installed a Beta version of an operating system, and are complaining an app doesn't totally work on it. You know what "beta" means, right? I assume Apple provide a way of reporting issues with their OS betas (which is the whole point of giving non-technical users access to them), I suggest you use it. If you are not willing to have things not work perfectly, don't install betas of operating systems. Or apps for that matter.

Mojave was made generally available on 24 September. It's been available to all Mac users since then.
And Sonos works fine on Mojave. Including Sonos 9.2, which was just released today.