Sonos Mac APP Memory Usage

• 7 February 2019
  • 22 replies

Does it make sense Sonos APP for Mac to be taking so much memory (~2GB) , or I am the only one having the issue with it ?

Analysis of sampling Sonos (pid 4600) every 1 millisecond
Process: Sonos [4600]
Path: /Applications/Sonos.app/Contents/MacOS/Sonos
Load Address: 0x100b2b000
Identifier: com.sonos.macController
Version: 10.0 (48.2.61220)
Code Type: X86-64
Parent Process: ??? [1]

Date/Time: 2019-02-07 12:10:18.701 +0100
Launch Time: 2019-02-05 21:38:41.527 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)
Report Version: 7
Analysis Tool: /usr/bin/sample

Physical footprint: 1.9G
Physical footprint (peak): 2.0G

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, ilija_g. I'll be very honest in saying I'm not sure why that is happening. Do you have a music library that you use in conjunction with Sonos?
Hi Edward R, I don't have any local music library (neither on my network) associated with Sonos app.
I am simply using Sonos app with Spotify service. But I have noticed one more thing, that the app takes more and more memory with time, and it seems like a memory leakage to me.
Check below:

Sampling process 92959 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling Sonos (pid 92959) every 1 millisecond
Process: Sonos [92959]
Load Address: 0x104b15000

Date/Time: 2019-02-14 13:07:56.584 +0100
Launch Time: 2019-02-14 13:04:24.517 +0100

Physical footprint: 188.3M
Physical footprint (peak): 269.3M
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As a comparison, here's my Sonos process dump:

Analysis of sampling Sonos (pid 2412) every 1 millisecond
Process: Sonos [2412]
Load Address: 0x1045b5000

Date/Time: 2019-02-14 12:07:43.273 +0000
Launch Time: 2019-02-12 09:58:41.495 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.3 (18D109)

Physical footprint: 242.8M
Physical footprint (peak): 246.4M
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But I have noticed one more thing, that the app takes more and more memory with time, and it seems like a memory leakage to me.
A memory leak is plausible. Worth investigation by Sonos. Having said that it's no big deal to restart the controller, since it's essentially stateless and the restart doesn't interrupt playback.
pwt,
Absolutely no critical issue here. 🙂.

But it is a problem when I am working and need every byte of memory and my computer becomes slow, and the reason for this is Sonos APP which (by my opinion) should be just a helper APP.

Don't get me wrong I am not hating here 🙂 . Sonos guys are doing great job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
pwt,
Absolutely no critical issue here. 🙂.
But it is a problem when I am working and need every byte of memory and my computer becomes slow, and the reason for this is Sonos APP which (by my opinion) should be just a helper APP.
Don't get me wrong I am not hating here 🙂 . Sonos guys are doing great job.

No, I didn't read it as 'hate' thread at all 🙂 I think it's a defect worth reporting. There are plenty of dev tools available to detect memory leaks. It's also possible that the app is doing a lot of cacheing (images, etc.) without limiting the cache size.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Given what has been identified here, I think it may be worth getting in touch with us by telephone. It seems necessary that we log into your computer to run some tests remotely. Thanks for your patience in this matter, I'm sure it will be resolved fairly quickly once you're in touch with the appropriate team.
Don't get me wrong but I do not have enough time to search for a contact and get in touch by phone 🙂. I will continue restarting the app until they figure the issue eventually and sort it out, or have any other means of communication.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's a pity, although I do understand. Unfortunately it does seem that it would require a more hands-on approach, as there will likely be some level of data gathering involved. I'm not sure if it is an isolated event to your computer, though if it persists beyond, say, the next update, we may need to get you some real-time support. Until then, let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks your effort Edward, I do appreciate it.
Anyway, I will try to reproduce the problem myself and send you some more information when (and if) it happens again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No problem! That would be great. Keep us posted.
I think I managed to reproduce the problem. It happens when I put my Mac to sleep couple of times with Sonos APP turned on.

Way to reproduce it:
1. Open Sonos APP.
2. Start running Spotify (change couple of lists)
3. Put it in sleep for some time
4. Repeat process 2-3 couple of times.
5. Memory consumption goes up.

Sampling process 93921 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling Sonos (pid 93921) every 1 millisecond
Process: Sonos [93921]
Load Address: 0x10fed3000

Date/Time: 2019-02-15 11:13:49.341 +0100
Launch Time: 2019-02-14 13:25:51.419 +0100

Physical footprint: 1.7G
Physical footprint (peak): 1.8G
There is clearly a memory leak in the Sonos Mac app v 10.0. Using top -o rsize I watched Sonos get to 2.1Gb resident. Killing Sonos and restarting I find 130Mb resident initially but it's growing steadily. Right now I'm streaming Pandora and every time a new song is played and the album cover graphic updates there is a small jump up in memory usage.
I left the Sonos Mac app running with Pandora for 1.5 hours. It is now using 555Mb.
I see the same issue. The memory consumption slowly increases over time as the app runs.
I'm using Spotify.

Related issue: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-mac-app-memory-leak-6820766
I wanted to add to this.. it's been like this for me for the entirety I've owned Sonos (2+ years). I have to restart the app every few days because utilization starts to creep up. When I can tell it's affecting performance, I'll open activity monitor to check it before I kill it, it's consistently 2+GB of usage. Way too high, and I also use Spotify.
Next time, before you kill the app, submit a system diagnostic so that Sonos has more data to look at. Having managed engineers looking for bugs, it's always better to have more data than anecdotal data. That way, you can avoid the almost inevitable "it works fine on my machine" by pointing at the diagnostic.

I have the same issue and have followed the exact same steps as described in this thread.

1. Open Sonos APP.
2. Start running Spotify (change couple of lists)
3. Put it in sleep for some time
4. Repeat process 2-3 couple of times.
5. Memory consumption goes up.

I have submitted a system diagnostics with number: 1383266111

Good luck!

Hello @jobias. Welcome the community. I would like to get a bit more information from you in order to help. To do so, I am going to send you a direct message. 

Same issue here for the Sonos Mac App, running version 11.1 to control 3x Symfonisk bookshelf speakers. System diagnostics 1520331975. I don’t have a local library and only play Spotify playlists. Noticed that the app was using 3,5gb memory in Activity monitor after being running for a few days. Restarted the app, now its back to 180mb memory usage. Sounds like a memory leak to me. :/

I’m also on (>2GB). I do have pretty big playlists and long queues on Spotify. I leave the app open for days, controlling the speakers through the iOS and Spotify apps too in the meantime.

I had big hopes the S2 app was going to bring a change in that but seems that it’s just a new skin for version 12.0. I understand the macOS app isn’t the priority but when I see nice third-party plugins on the app store for menu extensions for example, while the official app is bare-bone but still hogs my memory…  I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed.

System diagnostics 578948719

Badge

I have a usage of 4GB atm for the Sonos app on mac and this happens very often. It was happening in the S1 app but still is on the S2. Is there a way to limit the memory usage?

System diagnostics: 1728384005