Answered

Sonos keeps telling me updates are available, but then just wants me to use Alexa

• 28 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Ever since the most recent update, the Sonos app keeps periodically bouncing around in my dock (I use OS 😵 to tell me that an updated is available. However, when I click through, it seems that this is not true: the only question I get asked is whether I'd like to integrate with Amazon Alexa (I would not). I presume there is a bug somewhere — has anyone else run into this?

About Sonos says:

Sonos Controller for Mac
Version: 8.4
Build: 41350131
icon

Best answer by nikomatsakis 28 May 2018, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you wish to disable updates go here...
How to update/turn-off updates for your Sonos system

If you need the latest MAC Controller update go here...
http://update-software.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopController851.dmg

Note the latest updates will disable the CR100 hardware controllers, if you have any of those old devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There is a newer version available. It's version 8.5.1. Not sure why your Mac controller wouldn't mention that an update is available. Usually it shows "Update Now" over on the right side with the various music services if an update is needed. You might want to go to the Sonos menu and check for updates. If that doesn't work, I'd download the Mac controller from the link that Ken provided. And I'll repeat Ken's note that if you have a Sonos CR100 controller device, this update will cause it to stop working.
Ah, hmm, I think I was misinterpreting the dialog that was telling me that an update was available. I thought it was telling me to configure Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It may have mentioned that some updates to Alexa functionality were part of the update, and that could be what threw you off. The Mac and Windows controllers don't have the ability to set up Alexa functionality... only the iOS and Android mobile apps do (though why, I'm not sure).