Answered

Sonos iOS app with Windows 7 PC

• 14 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi,

Sonos has discontinued support for Windows 7. I have my Sonos library on a Windows 7 PC. I am concerned that if I update the iOS app, it will no longer work with my PC/library.

Do we know that updated iOS apps will retain compatibility with my “Sonos Controller for PC” v13.2?

I would prefer not to update this PC as it does everything I need it to. We all know that Windows updates can cause problems.

Thank you,

Morty

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 October 2021, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

You don’t need to have a SONOS controller installed on a computer that hosts a share (your music library folder). SONOS uses a file sharing protocol known as SMB1. It’s an ancient protocol that is now out of favor, but fully supported on W7. Actually, you’d have some trouble if you migrated to W10 because W10 does not like SMB1 and you’d need to jump through some hoops.

Each SONOS controller is an independent agent and does not know or care about other controllers. You can have up to 32 controllers simultaneously active.

Hi,

Thank you. I got “brave” and updated the iOS app. Everything still works (I hoped it would and didn’t have a plan if that was not the case). I now understand that the PC Controller is not required, so I’m fine with the mobile controller and my Play-1 speakers.I’m keeping the v13.2 controller as many things are easier to do on a PC than an iPhone.

-Morty

While controllers don’t care about other controllers, they usually do care about aligning with player firmware versions. Wrong version controllers may partially work for a while, but there is no guarantee that a v13.2 controller will be able to work full function with a 13.n or 14.n player. Your best plan would be to avoid updating anything until you are sure that the new firmware will continue working with your 13.2 desktop controller. Unfortunately, you will need to be very careful if you add any new hardware to your SONOS system because you’ll be forced to update the firmware at that time.

I share your preference for the desktop controller and I’m grumpy that I cannot use it exclusively. Whenever I can, I’ll join a “please save the desktop controller” discussion.

I avoided W10 as long as possible, because my computer didn’t have enough “moxie” for W10. But more and more programs that I must use were dropping W7. Now I have a new machine and W10 -- and I expect the W11 pressure will begin soon.

Hello again,

Is there a link for the v13.2 or v13.2.2 desktop controller so I can download and archive it in case I need to reinstall? I’m running v13.2 now.

Thank you,

Morty

Hello again,

Is there a link for the v13.2 or v13.2.2 desktop controller so I can download and archive it in case I need to reinstall? I’m running v13.2 now.

Thank you,

Morty

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController132.exe

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You don’t need to have a SONOS controller installed on a computer that hosts a share (your music library folder). SONOS uses a file sharing protocol known as SMB1. It’s an ancient protocol that is now out of favor, but fully supported on W7

Installing the Sonos controller on the PC, even the last one that supported Windows 7, will install the SonosMusiclibrary service which is required for local file sharing. SMB hasn’t been used on PC or Mac for a year or two.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mtarr 

Thanks for your post!

As the desktop Sonos app runs in a limited mode anyway, there won’t be any immediate issues with it not being updated on your Windows 7 computer. In the case of S1, it’s very unlikely there will ever be issues as that software is now static. In time, however, changes may be made to S2 that would prevent the S2 desktop app from functioning correctly - but how in much time, I cannot say.

Short answer - for now, it’s fine to update your Sonos system.

Of course, it’s no longer considered safe to use Windows 7 at all on a internet-connected computer due to the fact that Microsoft no longer releases updates or security patches for 7. Also, Windows 10’s system requirements are the same as those for Windows 8, so it’s not overly demanding. I agree that Windows upgraded from a previous version is never as reliable as a clean install, however.

Hi,

Thanks everyone!!

Best regards,

Morty