Question

SONOS integrated with Echo / Alexa?

Can you integrate an Echo / Alexa to your Sonos system so that when you command Alexa to play music, it goes through your Sonos system??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

Not now. It has been announced for later this year. Right now you can only connect an Echo Dot to a Sonos with a line-in connection.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's confirmed vaporware
Nothing imaginary here, that's just insulting.
It's confirmed vaporware

Thanks for such an enlightening comment. You've added much the the thread. 😃
Userlevel 2
I heard that the feature is currently in beta...anyone know what beta/version it's in?
If it's in beta, it is a private beta and thus anybody in the know is under a strict NDA.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can you integrate an Echo / Alexa to your Sonos system so that when you command Alexa to play music, it goes through your Sonos system?? Yes, I'm doing that right now, however, it appears I'm not allowed to tell you how.
Can you integrate an Echo / Alexa to your Sonos system so that when you command Alexa to play music, it goes through your Sonos system?? Yes, I'm doing that right now, however, it appears I'm not allowed to tell you how.
You weren't even allowed to tell us the first half of the sentence.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
[/quote]
You weren't even allowed to tell us the first half of the sentence.[/quote]
Why, it's not a Sonos solution I'm using, so I think I'm still allowed to tell people that it's possible and that I'm doing it right now?
Continue and you're done with testing. You've signed a NDA, remember?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Smilja, this has nothing to do with the official Sonos/Amazon integration. Read my other posts if you want to know how I'm doing it, but it's possible this may be deleted as apparently I'm not allowed to say how it's possible.
Johnnie, you contradict yourself. You are not even allowed to tell that you are partaking in testing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm not testing, I've found an alternative solution that's actually been around for some time.
I'm not testing, [...]
Sonos is able to verify that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Sorry I don't understand understand. I just thought that you and others who want to control and play music from their amazon echo through their sonos speakers would like to know that it's already possible. It does require some extra equipment but i've been advised that I shouldn't be linking to such solutions in my posts.
It is already established that an Amazon Echo or Dot will be required. Fifteen minutes of fame can be costly, you know.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
What? Yes, obviously an Amazon Echo device is required.
However my solution is available and working now.
OK it requires certain additional hardware/software to function, but it works.

So those people who tell you that it cannot currently be done aren't correct.

As I said, check my other posts for a link to the solution I'm using, assuming that it hasn't been deleted.

I must admit, I had hoped for a better reception to my posts telling people that they can already stream and control music to their sonos speakers using alexa voice control.

You can also use the same method to provide a Bluetooth source to your Sonos speakers.

Starting to wonder why I bothered trying to help others by sharing some useful information.
What? Yes, obviously an Amazon Echo device is required.
However my solution is available and working now.
OK it requires certain additional hardware/software to function, but it works.

So those people who tell you that it cannot currently be done aren't correct.

There are already other solutions like Yonomi and IFTT. Not interested, I'm patiently waiting for the genuine integration.

You can also use the same method to provide a Bluetooth source to your Sonos speakers.
As it stands I'm already taking advantage of an entirely adequate method – it's called Amazon Dot.
Badge +20
Johnnie Walkers solution involves software that costs $$$
To answer the question a different way. You cannot currently say "Alexa play XXXX" and song XXX will play on you're sonos speakers (unless alexa line out is connected to Sonos line in). However, there are several different 3rd party solutions out there utilize the sonos API and Alexa API to sort of simulate that situation. In reality though, you aren't telling Alexa to play through Sonos, you're affecting executing a prescripted command to have you're 3rd party solution send a command to Sonos 'on the back end' so to speak. It works fine for may situations (I use one solution myself for some scenarios), but it is not as ideal as the upcoming direct integration between Alexa and Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Melvimbe, that's exactly what I can do actually. I say "Alexa, play heroes by David Bowie" and because I've setup Spotify as my default music service in the Alexa app it the song plays on my Sonos Play 1's.

I just have the streaming software running on my Mac mini, and Sonos app on my 'Radio Station' channel and it works.

Obviously all the other audio that can would normally play through the Echo Dot internal speaker goes via my computer and is streamed to my Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
However I have the added benefit of being able to play music/audio from any devices that have Bluetooth.

So yes, I can play YouTube audio from my phone or tablet through my sonos speakers too if I want to.
Obviously I'd have to switch the Bluetooth connection from my Echo Dot and Mac mini, to a connection from my phone/tablet to my mac mini, but I can do that from the alexa app. So don't have to actually physically change any connections.
Oh jeez dude, all you are doing is using a stream capture and rebroadcasting it as a URL. Something which has been done since day one with Sonos. It ain't exactly rocket science (and it most certainly doesn't take a $59 program that you are coincidentally hawking on your website).
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
OK, it's not free, the streaming software for my Mac costs $59 plus vat, but considering how much the sonos speakers cost and the added functionality it adds, it's worth it for me.
I already have a Mac mini running all the time for file backup, server duties, and I also had an old Bluetooth audio receiver and got my Echo Dot last Prime day.

At the end of the day I just want to point out that what people are saying can't be done can actually be done.

Whether or not it's a solution that will be right for everyone is a different matter.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Oh jeez dude, all you are doing is using a stream capture and rebroadcasting it as a URL. Something which has been done since day one with Sonos. It ain't exactly rocket science (and it most certainly doesn't take a $59 program that you are coincidentally hawking on your website).

So you knew of this amazon echo dot integration solution then, but decided not to share it.?

And how am I Hawking software I don't sell and am not affiliated with?

If it's not for you then fine. Just don't call me a liar.