Answered

Sonos in University Dorm

• 19 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Hey everyone! I'm currently attending University living in a dorm in which I am constantly having issues with people thinking that it is funny to blast music off of my Play 5. I am on an open network and we are not allowed to create our own so I am just checking to see if there were any ways to prevent this from happening in the future. People are able to just play music right off of the Apple Music / Spotify apps on to my speaker and I really don't want it to burst or anything like that. Is there anyway to disable Airplay? If I connect a tablet through the aux and just keep it plugged in will people still be able to play off of it?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by pwt 19 October 2018, 21:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don't know if I'm able to edit my original post so I'll just add here: Is there anyway that I could lock the volume on my speaker? Instead of unplugging I could just lock the speaker at mute instead of having to fight someone pausing and unpausing the music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The only way you can really work around this is for your speaker and your controller device(s) to be on a non-shared network. The Line-In (aux) solution will not work, because any controller can still select other audio sources. The usual suggestion for this scenario is to use a travel router to create a non-shared network, if that's something that would work in your environment.
I don't know if I'm able to edit my original post so I'll just add here: Is there anyway that I could lock the volume on my speaker? Instead of unplugging I could just lock the speaker at mute instead of having to fight someone pausing and unpausing the music?

As of version 9.2, you can set a volume limit:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3118?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As of version 9.2, you can set a volume limit
Good point. Setting the volume limit requires a login to the user's Sonos account, which prevents random users from altering it.