Sonos forced V8 update, sonophone google play music no longer works?

• 7 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
After sonos forced a v8 update last night, no choice to just carry on without updating, Sonophone on GPM home screen is just white with lines on ipod touch 4th gen.
All the favourites i made with GPM still work ok.
Anybody else experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos never forces an update. You are always given a choice, though if you have automatic updates set on your phone or tablet, it may download the controller due to that. However, that is an Apple Store and Google Play setting. Nothing to do with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't know why, but I had no choice on iphone controller.

Stefan from sonophone says it no longer works with GPM or amazon with sonos speakers. They do a check and only allow official sonos controller software access.
Everything else is unaffected.
Userlevel 3
Badge
@jgatie - unfortunately you're wrong. Sonos has been forcing upgrades for a while now. user no longer has control. it's a very poor user experience now. last few times i simply wanted to turn on some music and had to endure painful software upgrades before getting music playing in my house. if anyone at sonos is monitoring, revert back and let us choose when to upgrade.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Up until V8 with the privacy policy combined, I always had a choice not to upgrade.
So I disagree that "upgrades have been forced for a while now".
Also always was able to elect whether or not to upgrade until V8. It wouldn't let me access any of my Sonos speakers until I updated the controller and all s/w. Did not like this forced update - and also forced me to create a Sonor account online. I am a bit concerned with the online account requirement - are they now monitoring and collecting my personal data and correlating to my account? Not happy with either the forced update to V8 or the online account sign-in/creation requirement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I thought it was my daughters new iphone, that she added v8 from the apple store, and then that forced the update.....but others seem to have been forced as well......
If you log into your sonos online account, if you have opted in for data collection, there is all sorts of stuff stored about usage, how many hours, what days, what services.....even what hours it is on in the bedroom or kitchen.
You can also opt out of data collection with the mere touch of a box, something the vast majority of companies will not allow you to do. So you can put the tin-foil hats away until the next one of Paulw123's silly conspiracy posts.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
If updates are a concern (whether forced, accidental, or otherwise), simply blackhole the relevant Sonos sub-domains (see my posting on the "Save the CR100" thread for instructions). If the hardware controller / player cannot find their way to the server then they can't update.

My Sonos system still functions fine - yet any attempt by a controller or the App to attempt a firmware update is met with a 1101 error, i.e. the components cannot reach the relevant servers at Sonos, exactly as intended.

I hope SonoPhone / SonoPad will allow me to continue to enjoy my system from an iOS POV since I find the current iOS Sonos Controller App hard to enjoy. It's crazy that I have to lock down my Sonos components just so I can continue using them.