Sonos experience through controller iOS/Android

• 26 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I've been using Sonos for some time now, starting with play:1 and then playbar. I remember being sceptical and expecting to having problems setting up for the first time, but was amazed with the simplicity of the process. It was one of the most user friendly experience I've had, both setting up and using the controller with Spotify and my own library on my server. Room controlling was very straight forward.

After recent updates to the controller, both iOS and Android, the whole experience has changed to the worse. I've bought two more play:1 to add to even more rooms. The setup process adding speakers now require me to reinstall the app on my device to get the new speakers/rooms showing up, on every device for each added speaker.
The general GUI is now confusing, both choosing which room I want to play, volume settings and, most frustrating; grouping. When choosing rooms to play, I never get the system to respond the first time; I have to choose speakers multiple times. The sluggishness reflects in general use, like trying to turn on/off speech enhancement on the playbar.

I am very pleased with the sound quality and concept of Sonos, but I have gone from almost pushing friends and relatives into buying to being more reluctant. I wish Sonos takes note of all forum posts and feedback in App store and Google Play and rework the Sonos experience to make it great again :8

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello there, runquest. Thanks for posting. I am happy to get your feedback and sentiments along to the team. Thanks again and keep the feedback coming.
Userlevel 2
This evening, 25-12-2017, I wanted to play some Chistmas music via my PLAY1 units. Therefore I started my SONOS app on my Ipad and got the message that it wanted to upgrade. No problem, I've done that several times and most of the time it went OK. No this evening, it tells me that the I need to update my Ipad to a higher version. My Ipad can't handle the latest version IOS anymore so I can't use my SONOS units any more. So I bought 2 x PLAY1 for a lot of money and now I need to buy a new Ipad at €369,00 or more to keep using them. There is no way I can continue using the older app (which worked fine, incl. Spotify).
If anyone knows a way to solve this without buying a new Ipad, Iphone or other expensive gadget please post it!!!
Userlevel 2
Runquest, I couldn't agree more. I have made a significant investment in Sonos gear (2 x Play 5, 4 x Play 3 and 2x Connect AMP) and loved the entire system.... Until the upgrade to version 8.x. The user experience has gone from excellent o abysmal in one leap... The usability of the UI is now terrible, the performance of the application is poor, reliability has dropped and, as a result, the use of the system in our family has dramatically decreased. We routinely get errors indicating that "cannot add music to the queue - 1001 error". Searching for music takes minutes to respond at times. The use of the app is very counterintuitive. As an IT professional I can tell you that the usability of this application has gone from industry leading to bottom of the barrel. @Sonos, please, please, please address this situation. Provide a mechanism to roll back to the previous version while you work through this. Frankly speaking, from my perspective, this app upgrade was so bad that it will threaten Sonos' position as an innovator and market leader in the connected music industry. No doubt about it....
With regard to the new Sonos controller update - I'm very, very, very, happy that I loaded it only on my IPhone and not my laptop or ipad. I absolutely can't figure how to use this new app. Horrible. How can a company that differentiates itself based on technology have such a poor technology upgrade?
I have a playbar that I got 3 years ago and a play 3 I've had even longer. So here is my question - Is there any way I can get rid of the new controller update on my iPhone and go back to the old one that I found very easy to use. The app should allow me to easily get to the music I want to play and the speaker control I want to use. This app does the exact opposite, the items I'm not interested in using show on the top level and I can't find the items I use on a daily basis.