SONOS ending playing music from phone library!

I loved my Sonos system when I got it several years ago. Now, it's becoming a pain and I am about to replace it all.

1. Skipping songs constantly. All tips I've tried had not resolved the issue. Turned off bluetooth, keep phone unlocked, etc. Don't need to reconfigure my phone every time I want to use Sonos.
  2. Now I soon won't be able to play songs off my iPhone. I got a pop up today in the app stating this. Really SONOS? Because you can't fix issue #1 you're going to remove it all together? That's my suspicion anyway.
  3. No support for 5 channel system.
  4. Expensive. I can now buy cheaper products and hook to Google home and have less problems.
Makes me sad. This was a system ahead of it's time when I got it several years ago.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

The whole point is that Sonos cannot fix the probkem because they have no control over Apple.

There are simple alternatives to playing from a mobile device. I of course respect your right to bale out instead.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Now I soon won't be able to play songs off my iPhone. I got a pop up today in the app stating this. Really SONOS? Because you can't fix issue #1 you're going to remove it all together? That's my suspicion anyway.

It's not something Sonos can fix. They can't rewrite iOS.
I found a work around at least for the "on this iPhone" function that will be gone soon. I have 4 play 3 speakers which do not support apple air play, I recently decided to update to Sonos One that has airplay capability. I was able to group my old play 3 with my sonos one and use airplay to control all the speakers and can now play my iTunes playlists thru airplay on my play 3 now thanks to the interconnectivity of Sonos. I don't have to go thru my computer or buy a NAS drive, I can still use my iphones stored music! I am a happy camper.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The iTunes/Airplay option is a good one. I've purchased the IKEA Symfonisk speaker and, after a few issues over interference, I've got a stable set up, which means I can play all my music on iTunes everywhere, for the first time.
Yay!! I had no issues with setting up my first Sonos one, I did with the second not wanting to set up as a pair at first, I had to set them up individually and then pair them. I thought I would try then pairing my play 3 speakers to see if the inter connectivity would bypass the upcoming “on this iPhone “ function on the app and it did. I hope other people see this and not give up on Sonos as here is an easy way around- May have to buy one airplay capable Sonos speaker, but far less to invest in a whole new speaker system.
Userlevel 1
I have hundreds of dollars invested in Sonos equipment, which Sonos has just made obsolete by refusing to update its software to be compatible with the new iOS. I don’t want to upload all my music to the cloud. I don’t want to have to upload news podcasts every day to the cloud that I’m not going to listen to ever again. This is abusive.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have hundreds of dollars invested in Sonos equipment, which Sonos has just made obsolete by refusing to update its software to be compatible with the new iOS. I don’t want to upload all my music to the cloud. I don’t want to have to upload news podcasts every day to the cloud that I’m not going to listen to ever again. This is abusive.

Possibly worth venting your anger at Apple, rather than Sonos, in that case.
Apple changed the IOS- they aren't the software angles that people think they are.

This isn't a one way street. Go and bark up the right tree.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Oh and there are other options, if you have Airplay2 compatible speakers.
I have hundreds of dollars invested in Sonos equipment, which Sonos has just made obsolete
I assume then that you no longer have the Apple Music account you mentioned in previous posts?
Userlevel 1
With all due respect, it is up to Sonos to keep up with Apple, not Apple to keep up with Sonos. The tail doesn’t wag the dog. I have two music streaming services, but I also have a lot of music off-line. As well, the only way I can listen to podcasts now is to upload them to some cloud-based service, which is silly, given that I’m only going to listen to them once. What really irritates me, is that the various workarounds Sonos has developed do not work for older units and equipment like mine.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
With all due respect, the "on this device" service was only added in 2012 or thereabouts, when Apple obviously wanted to cooperate. The software company that provided that service obviously don't want to cooperate.

So I think your analogy is entirely misplaced. Ape aren't the tail, they are the big dog. They need to be flexible and perhaps Sonos do a bit.

I'm glad I've almost entirely divested myself of Apple's overpriced products, although Airplay connectivity for iTunes remains useful.
Badge +2
Disappointed as well. I just bought a second play 1 so I could pair them together as a stereo pair. Now I cannot play music from my phone. Sonos 1 cannot be paired with a play 1. So I’m returning the second play 1 and won’t buy a Sonos 1. The original play 1 never seemed to work anyway. Skipped songs, stuttered. Don’t say complain to Apple.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have a very robust system of 8 speakers and have worked at insuring it works efficiently and effectively. I have many options for playing music and have not placed my eggs in one basic.

Complain or give up on Sonos. You are free to do as you please.
Badge +2
I’ll guess I’ll be giving up on Sonos. Sound quality was very good for such a small speaker.
Seems a shame, given that they provide so many other ways to play your music.

If I ever received that pop-up I don’t remember it.  Very disappointed I cannot play my phone over the Sonos.  I have a Yamaha system at another home and I can play it there.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

5 months on from the original post, so I guess you don’t use the feature too often! Shame it’s gone, certainly, but not a total disaster. 

Yay!! I had no issues with setting up my first Sonos one, I did with the second not wanting to set up as a pair at first, I had to set them up individually and then pair them. I thought I would try then pairing my play 3 speakers to see if the inter connectivity would bypass the upcoming “on this iPhone “ function on the app and it did. I hope other people see this and not give up on Sonos as here is an easy way around- May have to buy one airplay capable Sonos speaker, but far less to invest in a whole new speaker system.

I did see this and you saved me! Thank you. I grouped my old Play 5 and Play 1 with the new One and now my Gigs of phone music are back in business.