SONOS + ECHO DOT

• 16 March 2017
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1
HOW MUCH LONG BEFORE SONOS + AMAZON DOT UPDATE PLEASE ! ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Argh!! Seriously? I mean, seriously!?!?

Not integrating with the Echo *immediately* is just ridiculous, almost as bad as the fact we're still not able to stream-what-we-hear from any device without using dirty hacks.

While Sonos does seem to be slowly, slowly waking up to the fact that a walled garden may not be the way to go, it's all just taking *waaaay* too long.

Seriously, people, get your s**t together! If you don't help provide a seamless experience across ALL consumers' devices *soon*, Sonos will quickly become irrelevant (regardless of hardware quality). That will leave all of us orphaned with your stupid devices that don't talk to anything.

I humbly suggest you start by firing whoever's calling the shots for software development. Then hire someone who has the first clue what they're doing and *get it done*. Now! Please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Methinks you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of humble.
Methinks you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of humble.
Trolling? Nah, not going there: methinks we should stay on topic.

But seriously: I dislike being abusive but feel strongly that Sonos needs to understand that the current speed (or lack thereof) of their software development is utterly unacceptable.
Humble? I think that chance has flown. Instead, they should aquaint themselves with a complex multiple vendor software development cycle.
This integration may never happen. Or if it does, may be short lived.

With Apple releasing a "high end" home speaker, Amazon is likely to release an improved Echo and they will want to have full control over their whole home-interaction experience as it matures. That's the future. We're less than five years away from asking our Echo to order groceries which will be delivered from Whole Foods via Amazon's delivery service.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of this project from Sonos. This will leave Sonos in a bad position as consumers will eventually expect their home speakers to be seamlessly integrated with their voice-activated home. Sonos was successful because they applied innovative technology with great sounding speakers. They will no longer be the "innovator" because they won't be able to compete with Apple or Amazon.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Amazon will purchase Sonos, but I doubt it.

I have a fairly large investment in Sonos equipment, so I hope I'm wrong here. Best scenario is they do this integration and we get another few years out of Sonos gear.

TL;DR Use your line input and get over it. Save your money for whatever winning technology emerges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This integration may never happen. Or if it does, may be short lived.

With Apple releasing a "high end" home speaker, Amazon is likely to release an improved Echo and they will want to have full control over their whole home-interaction experience as it matures. That's the future. We're less than five years away from asking our Echo to order groceries which will be delivered from Whole Foods via Amazon's delivery service.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of this project from Sonos. This will leave Sonos in a bad position as consumers will eventually expect their home speakers to be seamlessly integrated with their voice-activated home. Sonos was successful because they applied innovative technology with great sounding speakers. They will no longer be the "innovator" because they won't be able to compete with Apple or Amazon.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Amazon will purchase Sonos, but I doubt it.

I have a fairly large investment in Sonos equipment, so I hope I'm wrong here. Best scenario is they do this integration and we get another few years out of Sonos gear.

TL;DR Use your line input and get over it. Save your money for whatever winning technology emerges.

You don't think Sonos would have entered a binding Joint Venture agreement then?
I think you're overestimating the sound quality and multi-room capabilities that Apple/Amazon/Google are offering. They could certainly cut into Sonos business, but they can't, or are a long way from replacing all that Sonos does.

As far as not being willing to partner with Sonos, they are more likely to alienate customers then bring them in if they do that. Customers have invested $1000s in their sound system, and I seriously doubt Amazon is going to try and push customers to dump their gear and spend another $1000s to buy Amazon gear. Besides that, I would bet that there are contractual obligations in place that prevent Sonos or Amazon from breaking the deal and screwing each other over.

Most importantly, if what you're saying is true, it's not just Sonos, but just about every home audio company out there that is going to be dead in 5 years. If Sonos is screwed because Apple/Amazon/Google own voice assistance, and will make their own speakers without sharing VI tech (which Amazon is sharing), then everyone is screwed.