Sonos Controller Update 8.5 - no release notes

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hey Ryan - I see a controller update was released for iOS today but the release notes are generic. “Every update delivers upgrades and improvements...”

Usually you guys are good about putting details in release notes. Please tell me this isn’t the beginning of Facebook-style release notes. From a user perspective, updates to the controller mean updating the speakers, which is inconvenient (more for some than others). Providing a reason for updating let’s us know the purpose for the inconvenience and probably results in more positive sentiment.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Second
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm hoping it pushes through an update on the speaker that gives you the option to remove the Alexa wake tone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/software/release/8-5 shows an empty page currently 😞
I fully agree on that post of Corrode, please let us know in the future what things have changed, i really appreciated this open-minded communication from your side so far....
Only differences I’ve noticed so far:

1. CR100 now has message about being unsupported with this version
2. Skills like Radio Paradise, AnyPod, Stitcher, etc, which used to say the stream was playing, but silence would ensue, now say “I’m having trouble accessing your XXXX skill right now”. Sigh. In the Alexa app, the Sonos skill has not yet updated, hoping it will soon update and all these skills will FINALLY work...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, the community announcement for the release is now live. We like to make sure it's available in all app stores (aside from the Amazon store) and regions before publishing the release notes. It's all set now.

This update has some bug fixes and improvements but may not have too many visible changes. You can see the announcement here.
Badge
I'm still eagerly awaiting AirPlay... hence the reason to keep checking the release notes... hence why Sonos should put a little bit more effort into writing them!
A native integration of AirPlay would be really nice but i doubt that this is coming soon... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'm still eagerly awaiting AirPlay... hence the reason to keep checking the release notes... hence why Sonos should put a little bit more effort into writing them!

you need Apple to release Airplay 2 first !
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Noticed a couple of of UI tweaks straight away (including an actual fix/improvement!).

On the mobile "My Sonos" screen:
1. Regular favourite categories like "Others" (AKA "Artists") scroll to list all your favourites, not just the first 8 alphabetically (this is awesome, finally approaching the promise of "fast navigation to your favourite stuff" that desktop controller has had for years)
2. The list of Sonos playlists now only shows the first 8, not all (odd that they fixed the favourites and broke the playlists), I can't test the old "favourite playlist shown twice" bug, because...
3. It appears to be no longer possible to mark a Sonos playlist as a "favourite" / "My Sonos item" either on mobile or desktop (though if you have any they still show up on desktop favourites screen).

Obviously, the desktop and mobile apps still look like the products of different companies, the queue / play button issues (eg. expired-queue-play-next inserting) are still untouched, but as long as you learn the UI it's OK...
Userlevel 1

Less airplay anymore and much more amazons multi room support. It’s a bit perplexing that the One was pitched so hard as an Alexa compatible, yet still is without the ability to use the multi room stuff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is Sonos Multiroom. Amazon multiroom (which is fairly limited) is only on pure Amazon devices and that is an Amazon directive.
Sonos is Sonos Multiroom. Amazon multiroom (which is fairly limited) is only on pure Amazon devices and that is an Amazon directive.

Interesting that they announced the Multi-Room Music SDK way back in August last year, but none of the many 3rd party Alexa-enabled devices appear to have implemented it. Maybe they decided to keep it to themselves, or the licensing fees were too steep, or they ran into patent infringement issues. Dunno.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7c9343ce-425b-4baa-ae63-49c36afb5341/giving-device-makers-more-ways-to-bring-voice-forward-music-experiences-to-their-products