Sonos Controller S1 update still reboots Windows 10 without a prompt.

Why does Sonos keep closing this topic? We need a fix for this. Every time I update Sonos Controller 1 it restarts my Windows 10 PC without any warning. After it has done this, the update runs and every thing is fine. It is very irritating and without a prompt about a restart you could lose any unsaved work.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can’t remember the last time a Sonos PC update for S1 or S2 required a Windows reboot of any of my devices, and certainly not without a prompt. Bizarre.

Same here - no reboot of the PC on any Sonos update S1 or S2. Might it have been a Windows background update and purelyby coincidence, perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Take a look at C:\ProgramData\Sonos,_Inc\runtime\Installer.log to see if there any clues in there as to why it decided to reboot.

Thanks controlav. I have had this issue for well over a year (maybe two) and I am not the only one who has experienced this. I found this in the log:

MSI (s) (E8:CC) [11:13:13:497]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Sonos Controller. Product Version: 57.7.19010. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Sonos, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

MSI (s) (E8:CC) [11:13:13:497]: Value of RebootAction property is 
MSI (s) (E8:CC) [11:13:13:498]: Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: Sonos Controller. Product Version: 57.7.19010. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Sonos, Inc.. Type of System Restart: 1. Reason for Restart: 1.

I think the issue may be with Windows Installer. I can live with this providing I remember to close everything before updating S1 Controller as there is no prompt that a restart is going to happen.

dcart,

Try uninstalling the S1 controller from your PC, reboot the PC, then install a fresh copy of S1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My S1 log is notably different for the same version, taken just now (with no reboot):

MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:209]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Sonos Controller. Product Version: 57.7.19010. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Sonos, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:210]: Attempting to delete file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\5763c44e.mst
MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:210]: Unable to delete the file. LastError = 32
MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:218]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist
MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:218]: Attempting to delete file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\5763c44e.mst
MSI (s) (24:20) [06:20:49:219]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:225]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:225]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
=== Logging stopped: 7/31/2021  6:20:49 ===
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:229]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:229]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:229]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:229]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:234]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:234]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:237]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:237]: Post-install cleanup: removing installer file 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\5763c44e.mst'
MSI (s) (24:10) [06:20:49:238]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (24:F4) [06:20:49:238]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (34:8C) [06:20:49:240]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (34:8C) [06:20:49:241]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 7/31/2021  6:20:49 ===

Why does Sonos keep closing this topic? We need a fix for this. Every time I update Sonos Controller 1 it restarts my Windows 10 PC without any warning. After it has done this, the update runs and every thing is fine. It is very irritating and without a prompt about a restart you could lose any unsaved work.

I have S2. Same behaviour. Anyone figured this out?

I did initially think I had a fix by uninstalling the S1 controller from my PC (Windows 10 Pro, 21H2), then rebooting and then installing a fresh copy of S1. I then got an automatic-with-no-warning-restart on a subsequent update. So what I do now is when I know an update is available, I don’t use S1 programme to update. Instead, I go to the Sonos website and download the new version from there. Updating and installing this way appears to avoid the automatic restart issue (so far). Even then, I make sure all my work is saved and closed just in case before installing an update. 

I did initially think I had a fix by uninstalling the S1 controller from my PC (Windows 10 Pro, 21H2), then rebooting and then installing a fresh copy of S1. I then got an automatic-with-no-warning-restart on a subsequent update. So what I do now is when I know an update is available, I don’t use S1 programme to update. Instead, I go to the Sonos website and download the new version from there. Updating and installing this way appears to avoid the automatic restart issue (so far). Even then, I make sure all my work is saved and closed just in case before installing an update. 

Thanks. I just did the fresh install to see if that will help in my case. I guess I will see on next update. Otherwise, I will follow your example I think. I also noticed I still had S1 installed so I removed that as well. Maybe that will help 🤷‍♂️

This is still happening for me (been a couple of years of this now), but with controller S2. I recently needed to do a fresh install of Windows 10, so I took the opportunity to install the S2 controller on a fresh win10 install. First time Sonos issued an update perhaps month later, I got the same reboot without warning. Happens every time now. Today’s update prompted me to come back here and see if there had been any movement on this issue.

Have you submitted a diagnostic to Sonos after a reboot occurred, and called them? To the best of my knowledge, this is not normal behaviour, but unless you give them specifics, they’re not going to ‘fix’ your issue. 

I’m not seeing this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just joining in to say that every time I also do an update of the Sonos S2 controller my Windows 10 Pro PC does a re-boot without any warnings. It is SO annoying.

I did send a tweet to Sonos about this a couple of weeks ago but they just ignored it.

@UKTreoFan,
As @buzz mentions, I’m not seeing this issue either and I have both the S1 and S2 Apps installed on my Windows 10 PC’s (x2). Neither of the two PC’s restart at all after each new Sonos App update?
Might this be something to do with the PC’s ‘Group Policy’ setting for system restarts, perhaps🤔?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Ken_Griffiths Lots of apps update all the time on my PC - browsers, email client - and only the Sonos desktop app causes a reboot, and without any warning to, ahem, boot.

So I regard it as an issue specifically with the Sonos update.

Looking at the Event logs when I started the update the log recorded:
‘Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Sonos. Product Version: 69.1.32100. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Sonos, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.’

and at the end of the installation:
‘Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: Sonos. Product Version: 69.1.32152. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Sonos, Inc.. Type of System Restart: 1. Reason for Restart: 1.’

I also notice there were some logs from RestartManager to the effect that ‘’Kaspersky Anti-virus service could not be shut down’ 

So I wonder if there is some interaction between the Sonos installer and, perhaps, Kaspersky?

Bear in mind that the Sonos installer is also replacing the ‘SonosLibraryService’ background service, which is used as necessary to access music files on the PC.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still happening. Remove, reinstall, still reboots with no warning. S2 controller.

@Mark Robson,
I’ve just recently updated both the S1/S2 controller Apps on my Windows 10 PC and it didn’t reboot, nor even request a reboot. Even if Windows own updates are installed, Windows OS always throws up a prompt to restart, or cancel, the reboot to finish any such install, in my case. Could you perhaps have switched something off within Windows that may prevent that sort of intervention?

This thread is quite old too, over a year old in fact.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thx @Ken_Griffiths 

saw it was an old post, & thought strange.

used to happen, then stopped but recently started happening again. 

other updates request permission to restart but Sonos not. If there’s a setting just for Sonos restart request I’m all ears 👍

Thx @Ken_Griffiths 

saw it was an old post, & thought strange.

used to happen, then stopped but recently started happening again. 

other updates request permission to restart but Sonos not. If there’s a setting just for Sonos restart request I’m all ears 👍

Not that I’m aware of @Mark Robson, but it’s strange it did not happen for the PC here when I updated both Apps, just the other day?

I perhaps should add, that I do not use the Sonos library service as my local musuc library is an SMB share on a NAS, so maybe that’s the reason, if your setup perhaps uses a local http shared library? That said, I would still have expected to see Windows prompt you, but maybe switch off/end the Sonos library service before your next Sonos update and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Worth a try. Just an annoyance. But such is life with Windows 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge

Happened to me just now. I was doing some work and thought ill turn on some music. Bloody Sonos forced my PC to restart without any warning when the controller wanted to update. This has been happening for years and still not fixed. Its the only program that does it - poor programming Sonos. PLEASE FIX IT!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just joining in to say that every time I also do an update of the Sonos S2 controller my Windows 10 Pro PC does a re-boot without any warnings. It is SO annoying.

I did send a tweet to Sonos about this a couple of weeks ago but they just ignored it.

Happened to me just now - again. I don’t use Sonos much on my PC and going through my replies on this account, I complained about it 3 years ago! And its still doing it!!!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Worth a try. Just an annoyance. But such is life with Windows 😀

It ain’t a Windows problem thou