Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Userlevel 1
I have my Sonos controller on several iOS devices but after the most recent Sonos update I cannot start the Sonos Controller on my iPad with iOS 9.3.5. (it's an older iPad and iOS 9.3.5 is the most recent iOS for that device). I can start Sonos controller on my iPhone iOS 11.0.3 and then the iPad with iOS 9.3.5. picks that up and I can then continue to use the iPad with Sonos controller to choose music and so on. Not a huge thing and I have a work around but something is not working as it should, the Sonos 8.1 Software release notes say iOS 9 and higher. Can you let me know how to fix the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

I like the quality sound of Sonos speakers. I would not have invested, however, had I known the required software was so limited. Wooden interface on Mac and PC, 60,000 track limit, unable to play directly from iTunes (with my speakers), cannot get Plex to work, no support for IOS 9.3.5. I will not be expanding my system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
no support for IOS 9.3.5

Apple barely supports that device, why should Sonos?

Sonos System Requirements

Also if you have an Airplay compatible, and an up to date OS, you can always Airplay to Sonos.
My point was that having bought some impressive hardware, it was not apparent at the time that the software would have severe limitations. When I recently upgraded the Sonos player on my desktop Mac I found my iPad was 'obsolete' as far as Sonos is concerned. I believe I can play directly from iTunes via Airplay 2 if I purchase one of the later speakers. As I understand it, however, my original Play 1 and Play 3 units will not work independently of the new speaker. So without purchasing new speakers or a new iPad the usability of my system is compromised. I think I will try SonoPad.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I found my iPad was 'obsolete' as far as Sonos is concerned.

As far as Apple is concerned.
Sounds like you work for Sonos to me, I think given the price of Sonos equipment, they might offer a little more support.
Being someone who deals with software that runs on both Android and iOS, I can assure you that this is a result of the change by Apple, not something that Sonos wants to do. As soon as they can no longer get support from Apple on the code base, they're in a bad position, and must stop supporting that particular version of the operating system. It's Apple who's out to get your money....
Being someone who deals with software that runs on both Android and iOS, I can assure you that this is a result of the change by Apple, not something that Sonos wants to do. As soon as they can no longer get support from Apple on the code base, they're in a bad position, and must stop supporting that particular version of the operating system. It's Apple who's out to get your money....
Funny, other app developers and other companies have no problem adapting -only sonos has! How hard is it to create an App to connect and play?! This i simuler to say "Microsoft propriatory attitude" - nothing else!
Suggest ppl head over to trustpilot and leave a "review".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Funny, other app developers and other companies have no problem adapting -only sonos has! How hard is it to create an App to connect and play?!
This is factually untrue: there are plenty of apps that no longer work on obsolete iOS versions; Spotify, for example [1]. Developers like Sonos want to take advantage of features only available in later iOS versions, and Apple does not allow legacy versions of apps to coexist with newer ones in the App Store. So, how do you propose that developers work around this?

[1] https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/system_settings/spotify-system-requirements
...Apple does not allow legacy versions of apps to coexist with newer ones in the App Store. So, how do you propose that developers work around this?

I don't believe this is correct. When searching and installing the Sonos app on 9.3.5, there is a message that the current version is not compatible, but a previous version is available and that installs.

My understanding is that Sonos sets an arbitrary limit to the number of past versions (3 comes to mind) that the App can lag the firmware, then the App (be design) gives an error message and does not even attempt to function. This is likely their internal definition of legacy App support to limit full compatibility requirements with past controller versions as they evolve firmware going forward.

That said, one stripped down legacy app with necessary ports for service updates doesn't seem like it would be much of a stretch. Yes, Apple no longer supports the device, but it still turns on and functions as designed. It boots, WiFi connects, the screen turns on, etc. Controller support for Sonos devices, IMHO, is squarely in Sonos's court of responsibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
...Apple does not allow legacy versions of apps to coexist with newer ones in the App Store. So, how do you propose that developers work around this?
I don't believe this is correct. When searching and installing the Sonos app on 9.3.5, there is a message that the current version is not compatible, but a previous version is available and that installs.

You're right about this; I was misinformed. Apologies.

So, Sonos could indeed choose to maintain legacy versions of the iOS app. All versions would need to be updated as the speaker firmware was updated. This is feasible, but would require development and support investment that would otherwise be focused on other things. It's a matter of opinion whether they're making the right trade-offs.

Also, as @airgetlam states, there's no support from Apple for development on legacy iOS versions. If Sonos hits an iOS bug, that's tough.
Actually, Apple does not allow you to update legacy versions, they must stay as originally released. That is why Sonos does not keep legacy apps, because they would almost immediately be out of sync with the firmware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Actually, Apple does not allow you to update legacy versions, they must stay as originally released. That is why Sonos does not keep legacy apps, because they would almost immediately be out of sync with the firmware.
Ah, that's the limitation -- thanks. That does seem rather restrictive on Apple's part.
Userlevel 2
SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD
It is only $4 and it ROCKS!
I really don't give a damn about the "back story" with Apple and SONOS. Apples business strategy of "planed obsolesce" is scandalous and an assault on the "thinking man". They indoctrinate stupid millennials at an early age and brainwash them into thinking there is no other way (don't get me started). Apple and SONOS are either "in bed together" or Apple is putting the "screws" to SONOS to comply with their world vision of "planned obsolesce". All I know is some independent developer dude has an app available that works flawlessly on IOS 9.3.5. Go figure.
Just to bash everyone equally, it isn't just Apple that removes access to data about older the older non-supported OS. All makers of operating systems do this.
Userlevel 2
Just to bash everyone equally, it isn't just Apple that removes access to data about older the older non-supported OS. All makers of operating systems do this.
Yes, this is true. However no one does as often and egregiously as Apple. I am still not sure that Sonos' hands are tied by Apple. I have order Netflix apps that will show a "pop-up" saying that it is a "legacy" version and that some features may not work. Why is this not possible with Sonos? Why is Sonos forcing customers to upgrade their controllers. Why can some 3rd party dude offer up an app that does what the Sonos app should be doing. So many unanswered questions.
The one answer I can give you to one of your questions is that the third party dude doesn't have a legal department (and investors/stockholders) giving them specific legal requirements.
Userlevel 2
The one answer I can give you to one of your questions is that the third party dude doesn't have a legal department (and investors/stockholders) giving them specific legal requirements.
Are you suggesting that Sonos is at risk of legal liability for producing a legacy application or 3rd party dude for that matter? That's a bit of a "stretch". Kudos for creative reasoning. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are no legal issues here, just engineering tradeoffs. As SonoPad shows, one can publish apps to the Store that work on old iOS versions. I don't know what hoops have to be gone through to do this mind you: I am a n00b iOS developer myself.

As a general rule, 3rd party apps like SonoPad and my own don't care which Sonos system software you are running: they continue to work on new ones, and we try to keep them working against old systems (even though it is expensive to test this, as we need to keep N systems un-upgraded to do so).

The official Sonos controllers do not have this philosophy: they require players to be running firmware versions that match the controllers. While this makes sense for options such as Setup and Upgrades, for regular playback there is no technical reason for this (see: 3rd party apps). This is their decision, with unfortunate side effects when the decide to stop running on older platforms. They could make the old apps go into "safe mode" if they become too old for the player firmware and become playback-only (like the PC/Mac apps have permanently become), but they chose not to: instead the apps refuse to run.
Userlevel 2
As a general rule, 3rd party apps like SonoPad and my own don't care which Sonos system software you are running: they continue to work on new ones, and we try to keep them working against old systems (even though it is expensive to test this, as we need to keep N systems un-upgraded to do so)

What is your app?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sounds like you work for Sonos to me, I think given the price of Sonos equipment, they might offer a little more support.

I wish.
I just have a basic understanding of how electronics.... and (more specifically) how Apple works.
Like everyone else, I wished that Sonos had not dropped iOS 9.3.5 on my iPad Mini. Once I got over it, I purchased the Sonopad app and found that it is so much better than the Sonos native app. It instantly connected to my Sonos Connect systems, music library and music services and is very nice to use and intuitive (unlike Sonos app). My recommendation - stop getting frustrated with Sonos and Apple as you won't change anything. Just buy the app and carry on using your old iPAD which is easily capable of running this modern app. It costs less than a cheap album download.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What is your app?

I get into trouble naming it too often in the forum, so I'll just suggest your check my profile.
Download SonoPhone from the App Store to control Sonos with devices with OS 9.3.5. Quite shocking when my older iPhones and iPads wouldn't work with my extensive and expensive Sonos system. I Really needed a head's up for this type of change. Take Care with your customers! Disappointing to work from another platform.
I totally agree. I downloaded Sonopad for £3.99 which works well, so I'm still using my older iPad. I think a head's up from Sonos would have demonstrated more 'Customer Care' whatever their reasons for discontinuing support for IOS 9.3.5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.