Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Userlevel 1
I have my Sonos controller on several iOS devices but after the most recent Sonos update I cannot start the Sonos Controller on my iPad with iOS 9.3.5. (it's an older iPad and iOS 9.3.5 is the most recent iOS for that device). I can start Sonos controller on my iPhone iOS 11.0.3 and then the iPad with iOS 9.3.5. picks that up and I can then continue to use the iPad with Sonos controller to choose music and so on. Not a huge thing and I have a work around but something is not working as it should, the Sonos 8.1 Software release notes say iOS 9 and higher. Can you let me know how to fix the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Unbelievable!! I've already had to replace my ageing iPad Gen 1 once due to this. I was quite happy with it as a Sonos controller as that is all it did propped up in the Kitchen. Now I have to replace my Gen 3! And to cite that they are worried that the older iPads are not up to the task. It's not like the Sonos app is particularly resource hungry!!:@
Userlevel 2
Badge
Can I join others here in asking for Sonos to make the older version of their app available . I don't want the whistles and bells I just want my Sonos system to work on 9.3.5 . I wasn't notified of this when I bought the system
Userlevel 2
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.
I also have the same problem. It seems that Sonos should have simply skipped updates for iOS < 10, which they did not. The iPad has not changed, the hardware has NOT changed, jgatle, and Sonos broke their own product by updating blindly and carelessly, without making a check on the version. Having made the mistake, they do not provide a way to rectify it.
This is pathetic. We have ipad minis in all rooms and installed them in the walls. They are NOT THAT OLD!! They are all running 9.3.5 and Sonos is telling us we need to replace all of them? Not good PR.
Badge
I have encountered the same problem in that my iPad with ios 9.3.5 will no longer run the Sonos app. I am appalled that Sonos can't just leave those with this version of the software as is. All they would have to do is read which version the machine has and then state that you have the latest version for this ios. SIMPLE. MANY OTHER APP DEVELOPERS DO THIS.

My BBC apps, ITV, S4C, Sky, Radio and podcast apps are all still working.

Why not just offer a very simple select and play type mini app with none of the bells an whistles that will work on even the lowest spec tablet/phone.

SONOS. IF YOU WON'T DO THIS THEN LET SOMEBODY IN THE COMMUNITY PUT IT RIGHT!!!!!!!
Are you joking me, fix the problem so that we can use our devices without being forced to purchase new ones
Me too - controller working perfectly yesterday and will not run today. Farcical. Sonos... FIX THIS
Userlevel 1
I am ready to give up on Sonos as this is the 2nd time they have essentially bricked an iPad for me. My wife can’t stand using a phone or PC to control Sonos but is happy having a dedicated older iPad the listen to Sonos. I am not buying a new iPad just to be a Sonos controller. I have 4 Sonos devices and was a big supporter as they are vendor agnostic. The app does little and killing support sucks. Don’t blame Apple, this is Sonos fault for not understanding their customers. If you can’t handle an app, there is this technology called web pages you could use.:
Userlevel 1
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.

Been in the IT consulting business for twentyfive years and have an iPad I use as an AV Control 'appliance' (9.3.5) that stopped working, as well as an old Samsung TAB, another Samsung Tab 3, a LG tablet, and a Lenovo Tablet all that stopped working with Sonos, while other apps and products work just fine with these devices which are in excellent condition. I've always used 'older' devices as appliances strategically placed around the house, why not? Why should I have to buy new hardware every year or two to run Sonos speakers - LOL! Between Sonos not maintaining older software for at least some basic controls, in addition to forcing original purchasers like me to get an ID to update (class-action lawsuit...) I've stopped recommending the product and have had to tell folks to stay away.... (I used to promote the Sonos product over so many other options over the years to clients, neighbors, friends, etc) People are seeing how this company is behaving since it has gone public. Need I say more?
Userlevel 2
So why don’t you just limit the functionality for old controllers like iPad and iPhones. All we need is basic functionality !! Or do you have a secret agreement with Apple to force user to upgrade the hardware ?? The sensible way to treat you customers is to let them choose if and when they want to upgrade their systems. ??

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.

That's a bit over reaction lol . Less dramatic way is to segregate your system similar to the people running the cr100. Details are in this thread https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index1.html

Or just embrace the updates, buy new hardware regularly (new phone and iPad (pro) every year or two) .

Ridiculous answer. not everybody can just buy new technology, and why should they if it still works perfectly in all other aspects. there should be an older version available that does work with older devices
How can this happen ? why would you think it acceptable that customers should replace working telephones in order to carry on using an expensive sound system. This is a really poor product management.
Userlevel 2
Same problem. I am really angry at Sonos for making a perfectly functional controller useless (or nearly). I don't want to try to teach my six-year-old some hacky approach to using the app she's used for years.

I will vote with my wallet and not purchase from Sonos again, due to this extraordinarily bad and frustrating customer experience. Hope someone from Sonos central is reading this.:@
Userlevel 1
Same problem here, and I am seriously p***ed off having just bought 2 Sonos Play 1 speakers to be controlled by older iPads. I can appreciate that hardware and software evolve and the oldest stuff cannot be supported for ever. I also appreciate that Sonos can have no control over customers upgrading iOS without considering the consequences. However, surely Sonos should have issued a bulletin to warn what would happen. The fix is simple. Sonos should reinstate the previous version and call it Sonos Legacy. No updates, no support, leave as is. I will then be happy and may continue to invest in Sonos.
Userlevel 1

I'm afraid you are not going to be happy, because Sonos is not going to reinstate the previous version as Sonos Legacy. Time to invest in another multi-room system that maintains backwards compatibility with outdated versions of mobile operating systems. Good luck finding one.

Well, I wrote more in hope more that expectation. Since my original post, I have stumped up £3.99 for Sonopad, and a quick use seems to prove it works OK. I'm probably only delaying the inevitable.
I think this is ridiculous. I have perfectly good iPads mounted to the wall and I am no replacing them. SONOS you SUCK! The performance response is BS. My iPad has plenty of power to do the job. Sonos is no better than Apple creating a replacement market for perfectly good hardware. Sonos DO NO EVIL and put the controller back.
It was just yesterday that I experienced the problem with my iPad operating iOS 9.3.5. I’ve read all the information here and it seems like Sonos should be able to support an older version of their controller. Now I’m supposed to go buy a new iPad which otherwise works perfectly for me? I don’t think that this is a good way to do business.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
It's always an excitement to update Sonos. You never know what will happen.

Maybe you lose some functionality, maybe you'll have to toss your remote, maybe you need to go buy a new iPad, maybe you get a new GUI you better not get used to because it will be altered soon enough or maybe you just get som strange dropout problem or other inconsistency. I'ts been a continous train of small or big disasters keeping Sonos up to date.
Userlevel 1
Thank you to everyone who recommended Sonopad.
Like many of you I am deeply disappointed with Sonos for not recommending this solution. The "Help" person went so far as to tell me I should have received an email warning of the change. I did NOT receive any email!
We've enjoyed our Sonos system and had no issues, *up until now*. Oh, except that iPort xPRESS Audio Keypad is a useless piece of junk!
Shame on you Sonos. This whole planned obsolescece thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth about this company.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
no solution for older iphones with Sonopad - strike one ! - just downloaded Sonopad for my husband's iPad and there "does" seem to be an app for iPhones. Did not dig deeper to see if useful for older devices.

It's called Sonophone.
Still going strong on my iPhone4 running iOS7!
Think it is 1 dollar or something like that 🆒.

Sonopad has a great feature where you automatically get searches on the web for what you're listening to. I mainly use Discogs, where you often get track info, artwork, and credits. Almost like to good old times with physical albums.
Userlevel 2
SONOPAD FOR SONOS application is definitely the solution. SONOS has done things over the last couple of years with the navigation in their app that made no sense to me. I remember scratching my head at the changes to a once very intuitive application and eventually "adapting" to the SONOS app. SONOPAD reminds me of the "once upon a time" much simpler and intuitive app that SONOS used to be. I don't know what all "bloatware" SONOS has been putting into their application (seems like it takes forever to load). SONOPAD loads up instantly and navigates very intuitively and directly. Not to mention the price is right (it is a "pay" application). SONOS' official response to this issue should be "use this other guy's app - he has your solution all worked out". I am using the SONOPAD FOR SONOS app on my one newer iPad that runs the newer SONOS app because I LIKE IT BETTER - GO FIGURE!
Userlevel 2
SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD *** SONOPAD
It is only $4 and it ROCKS!
I really don't give a damn about the "back story" with Apple and SONOS. Apples business strategy of "planed obsolesce" is scandalous and an assault on the "thinking man". They indoctrinate stupid millennials at an early age and brainwash them into thinking there is no other way (don't get me started). Apple and SONOS are either "in bed together" or Apple is putting the "screws" to SONOS to comply with their world vision of "planned obsolesce". All I know is some independent developer dude has an app available that works flawlessly on IOS 9.3.5. Go figure.
Userlevel 2
Just to bash everyone equally, it isn't just Apple that removes access to data about older the older non-supported OS. All makers of operating systems do this.
Yes, this is true. However no one does as often and egregiously as Apple. I am still not sure that Sonos' hands are tied by Apple. I have order Netflix apps that will show a "pop-up" saying that it is a "legacy" version and that some features may not work. Why is this not possible with Sonos? Why is Sonos forcing customers to upgrade their controllers. Why can some 3rd party dude offer up an app that does what the Sonos app should be doing. So many unanswered questions.