Question

Sonos controller not working with Parallels 9 running Windows 7 on MacBook Air OSX 10.9

• 5 December 2013
  • 6 replies

Sonos controller doesn't work on Windows 7 Professional on Parallels Desktop 9 running from a bootcamp installation on a 2012 MacBook Air with OSX 10.9. Sonos controller runs fine in OSX or in plain bootcamp boot-up of Windows on this same machine. Is the Sonos controller incompatible with Parallels? I am guessing this is a port or firewall issue and I am not expert in those areas.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello Stephen,

This is normal, as the Mac OS is sharing the network connection to Parallels.
The virtual machine ( Parallels ) shares the IP address of the Mac on the external network.
The Mac provides a Network Address Translation (NAT) for the network traffic from the virtual machine.

In short seen that the Mac is providing the IP address for the Parallels running Windows it will not be able to connect to devices in the network.

Best regards,
Max
Interesting - thanks for the insight!
Badge
Hi Stephan, I have a similar setup with a macbook pro running OS10.9 and Parallels 9 with a Windows 7 machine. Max's explanation is dead on, however you can Bridge the network in parallels. This should allow connection from the windows machine to SONOS. Note that in my experience, parallels sometimes has a tough time with certain programs where the communication is not reliable 100% the time, especially on the wireless interface... It's worth a shot if you want to try but it's probably not the ideal setup. If it works for you then great. To try this setting, in parallels go to Devices>Network>Bridged Network. Select the interface you are using (Wi-Fi or hardwire etc). To go back to the usual default setting go to Devices>Network>Shared Network.
Badge
Sorry for the typo on your name Stephen....
Josh - yes this worked! FWIW in your suggested configuration I can run the Sonos controller in both the Mac OS and Windows realms simultaneously on the same machine - not that I would typically do that - but it is nice to understand how. Thanks.
Hi Stephan, I have a similar setup with a macbook pro running OS10.9 and Parallels 9 with a Windows 7 machine. Max's explanation is dead on, however you can Bridge the network in parallels. This should allow connection from the windows machine to SONOS. Note that in my experience, parallels sometimes has a tough time with certain programs where the communication is not reliable 100% the time, especially on the wireless interface... It's worth a shot if you want to try but it's probably not the ideal setup. If it works for you then great. To try this setting, in parallels go to Devices>Network>Bridged Network. Select the interface you are using (Wi-Fi or hardwire etc). To go back to the usual default setting go to Devices>Network>Shared Network.

Wow, this answer still stands three years later. I just installed Parallels 13, and as soon as I switched to the bridged option everything worked perfect. Thank you! 😃