Answered

Sonos Controller Improvements.

• 16 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello

I’m a user of Sonos since 2013.  Like it a lot - however the thing which lets it down is the controller.  I don’t want to rant / moan about it, I’d genuinely like to put forward 2 sensible suggestions.  whether they get listened to is another matter but for the time it takes to write this it’s definitely worth it.

1. Album list alphabetically by artist:  It’s a bit counter intuitive to list Albums alphabetically by album name rather than artist….I draw the comparison with old skool record / CD shops where albums are displayed alphabetically by artist.  Now you may say “oh you can view alphabetically by artist” - but that doesn’t really help.  The luxury of browsing artists is that you get to see the cover art, which the human brain recognises much quicker than going into an artists list.  This in my view is MUCH more synonymous to flicking and browsing through a record or CD collection at home or in a shop.  What are the chances of that feature being added?
  1. If you go by the Album view in Sonos controller you get about 4 albums on screen.  This is an extremely narrow view when you’ve about 300 albums to scroll through.  What would be cool is some sort of pinch zoom function which zooms out and fits a lot more album cover icons on phone screen.  This harks back to my reason above - the human brain instantly recognises icons - even if they’re really small.
  1. Given that I’ve used the Sonos controller for 7 years, like a lot of us, I woudn’t say there’s been many or any overhauls of the UI - maybe a few facelifts and colour changes, etc.  So I’m reluctant to believe any of these requests may happen.  Does anyone know whether there’s a decent 3rd party project to create a new sonos app - maybe utilsing the sonos API functions.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 17 January 2020, 22:45

@Richard Gill Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I’d be happy to send in feature requests for you. I’ll send in to the team requests to sort the albums by artist, and for a zoom function in the album view.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Richard Gill Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I’d be happy to send in feature requests for you. I’ll send in to the team requests to sort the albums by artist, and for a zoom function in the album view.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Does anyone know whether there’s a decent 3rd party project to create a new sonos app - maybe utilsing the sonos API functions.

The data is locked down by Sonos, such an app would have very few features

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Locked down? Try here Sonos Developer Home there is a lot of information available.

https://developer.sonos.com/

The data is locked down by Sonos, such an app would have very few features

Locked down?  90% of it is generic UPnP, and there have been a half dozen 3rd party controllers written.  Not to mention the official developer API listed above.