Question

Sonos Controller for past iOS version

• 7 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Hallo everybody! Still available the APP Sonos Controller for iOS 5.1.1 onboard on my iPad 1? I've got a lot of music inside and I would like to connect to the brand new Play3...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos does not support old versions of controllers, and the app store won't allow it, apparently.
sonopad any good to you?
in the apple app store
The app store allows older versions, however anybody who has tried to maintain an older version of Sonos on their system will tell you that usability goes by the wayside relatively quickly. Protocols between systems and services are changed (see BBC and Spotify for example), API's change or are abandoned (see Spotify), and services introduce new features and abandon old (Apple, GPM, etc).

Keeping and maintaining "older" versions that are also current with changed services/protocols/technologies is a logistical nightmare and incredibly costly in man-hours. Even if they could solve these logistics and cost problems, in the case of Apple, it is impossible to release multiple app versions designed and maintained for different iOS versions. You are limited to releasing the old version as is, which does nothing to combat the issues listed above.

In short, it's not going to happen.