Sonos Controller doesn’t find speakers

• 19 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Since the update my iPhone and iPad will not connect to my Sonos system. My partners iPhone and iPad still connects so I know it’s not a problem with my WiFi settings. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both devices and rebooted the router.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I'll spew a few possibilities, hopefully one of them makes sense.

1) are you sure you're connecting to the 2.4Ghz channel of the router, rather than a 5Ghz channel? It *might* make a difference, or it might not, but it's worth checking, since you're saying that you've checked your wifi settings.
2) Have you done a hard reboot of your iPad and iPhone, to force a re-connection to your wifi?
3) I'm confused as to why your partners iPhone and iPad indicates anything about your own iPad and iPhone's wifi. They're completely different devices. They'd certainly indicate that there's nothing wrong with your Sonos system, but would only indicate to me that your devices are connecting to a different router/wifi signal that your partner's devices.

And, some questions:

a) What version of the controller are you using?
b) What OS are you running on your iPhone and iPad?
c) What is the exact error message that is showing up when you attempt to open the controller app?
d) Do you ever get the option to "connect to existing Sonos system?

And finally, have you tried to contact Sonos to discuss it?
Hi, thanks for your response.
1) my router only allows me to connect at 2.4Ghz
2) yes I have rebooted both my iPhone and iPad
3) it’s strange for me too

A) 9.2
😎 11.4.1
C) it’s searching for my Sonos system and then states that it can’t be found
D) I can select more options but it still cannot connect :(

I haven’t contacted them yet but I think it may be my only option.
Userlevel 7
Hi banksy14

Are there any range extenders installed on your network?
Hi,
Yes I do, I have tried to use it when it was off and it didn’t work.
Strange thing has happened, my iPhone now connects but my iPad doesn’t? It’s very weird.
Userlevel 7
Hi,
Yes I do, I have tried to use it when it was off and it didn’t work.
Strange thing has happened, my iPhone now connects but my iPad doesn’t? It’s very weird.

I wasn't suggesting that you use the range extender...quite the opposite. Your devices could be getting confused and trying to connect to the extender rather than to the main router (Wi-Fi). When someone finds it necessary to use a range extender I suggest they move their Sonos to Boost mode connected to the main router. Boost creates the SonosNet which is stronger than Wi-Fi and isolates all Sonos to limit interference. Use the extender for all other devices if you must.

One additional point...if using an ISP's provided Router/Modem combo in conjunction with your own router you must do one of the following:

1. Turn the ISP routers Wi-Fi off (recommended) or
2. Place your router in bridge mode

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sometimes ios apps after updates incorrectly hold on to multiple IP addresses and have trouble getting good connections to router.

Best way to solve is go into settings on iPhone...wifi settings.... forget network. REboot phone and router. Then add back your home wifi to the iPhone. Should clear network problems it has.
That worked! I forgot the WiFi network and when I reconnected it is working. Well done Chris.
Thanks for all the replies and help resolving this matter. Much appreciated.
I can now go back to annoying the misses with my poor taste in music ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ios devices have a tendancy to mess up their network settings during ios updates (supposedly routers get confused as to their being 2 phones instead of 1).