Answered

Sonos controller app not compatible with IOS 9.5.x anymore

• 9 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi,

After the latest update I'm no longer able to use my Ipad Mini as a controller for my Sonos speakers. It seams that the Sonos app is no longer compatible with IOS 9.5.x which is the max IOS version supported by my old Ipad mini.
It's quite frustrating for me that updating my sonos speakers to newset version caused this to happen.
Any suggestions how to fix this (other than just bying a new ipad, which is not an option) ?

Would it really require too much effort for the Sonos team to keep backwards compatibility at a reasonable level?
Kind regards Torben
icon

Best answer by pwt 9 April 2019, 10:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Numerous other threads on this already. You may want to try SonoPad [1] to keep your iPad in the game. It supports back to iOS 8.

[1] https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonopad-for-sonos/id579984303
Thank you very much.
It seems to work ok and has extended the life of my ipad mini.
I was just about to ditch my old iPad because it no longer works with the updated Sonos app and buy an Amazon Fire when I found this third party app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonopad-for-sonos/id579984303
Some more life for my old iPad as my Sonos controller.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Sonopad is just the ticket! This fixed the same problem as the OP but in my case for an old iPod Touch which still functions well for all of the other apps I use on it. I'm sure Sonos made some kind of evaluation as to migrating their iOS code and leaving behind those still running iOS 9 or earlier. And while I understand the need to keep cost under control by not supporting all possible environments forever, it still bothers me.
Sonopad is saving Sonos' image to keep backwards compatible for the ipad users. This is essential since we have to rely on those smart devices to control the Sonos gear. 😳