Answered

Sonos Controller App for Mac will not install and Procedure Suspicious

Am not able to install controller on my mac laptop (Sierra 10.12.5). When I click Sonos app link from Safari, nothing happens (I suspect file is being deemed a security risk by OS). When I click app link from Chrome, get warning of risky file. When I confirm to proceed (why wouldn't I trust Sonos??) I get a Chinese install window per image below (all settings english - I checked). Please advise on how to proceed.

For a system that is supposed to be seamless and fool-proof, I am surprised at the number of challenges I have faced at every step. Original wireless setup failed on multiple attempts and required multiple help centre conversations (eventually requiring boost device despite strong 60Mbps signal in every corner of my house), Alexa in Canada is garbage (unless you are willing to conduct major brain surgery through a 100 or so lines of instructions posted by users online) and now the Mac OS app is garbage. Please Sonos - at least try to live up to your promise!!!

icon

Best answer by Keith N 3 July 2018, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

You have to download and install the .dmg file from here.
Thanks for you quick response. Tried the link in both Safari and Chrome resulting in same original outcome (Safari flashes to a black screen and then returns to page linked above and Chrome will download but results in Chinese install screen as before)
Removing the old Desktop Controller installation, rebooting the Mac, and then reinstalling the Controller may do the trick.
Did not have existing install, but did try the reboot. Same outcome. That said, I did find a solution. Decided to proceed with the Chinese installation and took a guess that the button on the right was 'install'. This was followed up with another dialog box in Chinese with more buttons. I again clicked the button on the right. Few seconds later i have the standard english install. Perhaps time to brush up on my Chinese for future Songs updates ;)

Thanks Smilja for chiming in to help
That's really bizarre. I can't think of any reason at all for anything to show up in Chinese.
Agreed ... never seen anything like this before so thought my computer might be infected or perhaps was being targeted by phishing. Tested and checked and everything appeared clean and legit. Perhaps its just Apple trying to incent me to upgrade my old mac pro. Anyways, life goes on ... have a great day!
You're welcome. I wasn't of much help.

@mvandevegte, would you mind providing a diagnostic report by following these steps for the Mac app? Could be of some interest to the production department at Sonos.
Done ...

Your confirmation number is: 920985505.
Good thought, Smilja. I can only hope that they'll come back and perhaps provide us an explanation as to what may have happened. It might be instructive.
Am not able to install controller on my mac laptop (Sierra 10.12.5). When I click Sonos app link from Safari, nothing happens (I suspect file is being deemed a security risk by OS). When I click app link from Chrome, get warning of risky file. When I confirm to proceed (why wouldn't I trust Sonos??) I get a Chinese install window per image below (all settings english - I checked). Please advise on how to proceed.

Hi there! The top drop-down box says "Japanese" in Japanese. If you click that top drop-down, it will give you all the options of languages, regardless of what language you have selected in your system.

Select "English" and you should be good to go.

In general, diagnostic reports only give us things like connectivity from Sonos speakers to the local network or errors from an existing system. In this case, this seems to be a bit more focus on the computer itself rather than the Sonos system.
Hi there! The top drop-down box says "Japanese" in Japanese. If you click that top drop-down, it will give you all the options of languages, regardless of what language you have selected in your system.

Select "English" and you should be good to go. [...]

Now this... is a bit too obvious. 😉 Thanks, Keith.
Do you have any antivirus on your laptop? Remove it. Macbooks don’t need them. I had a problem similar to yours and also couldn’t even get the iOS update. I took it in for repair and was advised to remove the antivirus. It’s been fine since.