Answered

Sonos controller 9.3 is not completing installation on my devices

• 3 December 2018
  • 4 replies

I seem to be one of a number of Sonos owners who is having trouble with the latest controller update to 9.3. Some controller devices seem to have achieved a 9.3 update however, all my PC and ipad and android phone devices still start up with a request to update everything. The only way I can partially access my Sonos system is overriding the update and click on 'continue using controller'. This only shows some of the rooms being available for use as other rooms are greyed out and inaccessible. However, even trying to use the Sonos system this way, all media sources keep cutting out after seconds/minutes for a short time. I have submitted a diagnostic report 879747506. Nothing has changed on my system for several years. Nothing has been moved etc. A similar problem occurred a few years ago which was also most frustrating and it took Sonos to release an update 'fix' before my system returned to normal. Any help?
icon

Best answer by Fizzio55 4 December 2018, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Try connecting the problem units via Ethernet, power cycle and give them a few minutes to see if they pull the update that way.
Thank you Stanley_4 for your suggestion. Let me say that I seem to have finally solved the issue by turning off from the mains all Sonos units - 2 x amp, 1 x boost, 3 x Play 3, 2 x Play 5 and 1 x Play 1, and in no particular order, switching them back on in turn using the controller on my PC (windows 10) to see each one and check for updates. Surprisingly, and thankfully, when it needed to update a speaker, the process took the seconds that I normally expect and I did not experience the prolonged attempt and failure notification I had been experiencing. Checking my Sonos system now shows everything in version 9.3. Touch wood, all seems well and I am back to how it was with version 9.2. There is also no dropping off of the media that is playing. I am back to realising how great the system is ……………
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd think you got bit by the dread IP acting weird Sonos bug. Nobody has a good explanation of what it is or how it works but it bites random folks at random times but with a fondness for during updates.

Working around it is pretty easy, go to your router's DHCP page and assign a static/reserved IP address to each sonos device. Shut them down, reboot the router and then power the Sonos back up at one minute intervals.
I too am not able to complete the 9.3 update. None of my devices can be connected via Ethernet. I’ve tried cycling as suggested, turning off all devices and their hosts. Nothing works. Any other suggestions I haven’t tried?