Sonos Controller

• 17 November 2018
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1
After expending about $3000.00 US on my system I am told that I need a phone to set it up.. who does this to their customers ??? No phone no setting up my system.Really SONOS ???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

You actually need a variety of Controllers to set up use a Sonos system:

If you want to set up Sonos you need an Android or IOS device
If you want to tune it using TruePlay the device must be IOS not Android
If you want to use Sonosnet instead of Wi-Fi the device must be Android not IOS
If you want both then you will need both IOS and Android devices
If you need to set up custom URLs for streaming you must use the PC or Mac desktop apps not a mobile device
If you need a controller that is legible and intuitive you will need a third party IOS app like SonoPad or SonoPhone
If you need a dedicated hard button controller with a screen that works on Sonosnet you need a CR200
If you need a dedicated hard button controller with a screen that works on Wi-Fi you need a NEEO remote

Your best bet is probably to buy a table that you can put in the corner of the room to hold and charge all of the different control devices you will need in order to have a complete Sonos experience.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Massive exaggeration.

Badly expressed, on a generous interpretation. Or just plain wrong. Using SonosNet does not require an Android device. Only Android devices can connect to SonosNet, but that isn't what you said.
Anyone's system can operate with SonosNet or WiFi only, with a single Android or iOS device as controller.
Massive exaggeration.You said it. But deliberately so, of course. A single mobile app, possibly with occasional use of the desktop controller, is enough for most people.

Badly expressed, on a generous interpretation. Or just plain wrong. Using SonosNet does not require an Android device. Only Android devices can connect to SonosNet, but that isn't what you said.
Anyone's system can operate with SonosNet or WiFi only, with a single Android or iOS device as controller.

I thought since the topic was controllers that it was obvious from the context that I was saying if you want to use Sonosnet to connect your controller instead of Wi-Fi you need Android but I guess I can see your point.
Massive exaggeration.You said it. But deliberately so, of course. A single mobile app, possibly with occasional use of the desktop controller, is enough for most people.

Yes deliberate and intended to be humorous to put the tragic tone of the original post into perspective. Was not expecting such serious analysis.

I thought since the topic was controllers that it was obvious from the context that I was saying if you want to use Sonosnet to connect your controller instead of Wi-Fi you need Android but I guess I can see your point.
So in that context, I am not clear what 'If you want both then you will need both IOS and Android devices' means, given that Android devices can connect to SonosNet or WiFi?
OK - I did get that it was tongue-in-cheek, and maybe my response a bit OTT.
You actually need a variety of Controllers to set up use a Sonos system:

If you want to set up Sonos you need an Android or IOS device
If you want to tune it using TruePlay the device must be IOS not Android
If you need to set up custom URLs for streaming you must use the PC or Mac desktop apps not a mobile device
If you need a controller that is legible and intuitive you will need a third party IOS app like SonoPad or SonoPhone
If you need a dedicated hard button controller with a screen that works on Sonosnet you need a CR200
If you need a dedicated hard button controller with a screen that works on Wi-Fi you need a NEEO remote

Your best bet is probably to buy a table that you can put in the corner of the room to hold and charge all of the different control devices you will need in order to have a complete Sonos experience.

Now that's funny right there! 😃
After expending about $3000.00 US on my system I am told that I need a phone to set it up.. who does this to their customers ??? No phone no setting up my system.Really SONOS ???

Let’s see, who does this to their customers? Amazon. Google. Bose. Sony. Insignia... Um, who doesn’t?

Hard to imagine anyone, in 2018, without a smartphone. Especially someone who can afford a luxury item like Sonos.
The question here is "How to set up a new speaker without using your phone"
The answer is, currently, it can’t be done. I’d recommend borrowing from a friend for the short time it requires to set up, once that is done, the desktop controller is all you need.
What is the reasoning for you to take this away from the PC app?? Even your install videos say this can be done.
What is the reasoning for you to take this away from the PC app?? Even your install videos say this can be done.
The videos are outdated. Moreover, you'll need an Android v 5.0 or higher or a iOS device v10 or higher to perform administrative tasks that require signing in to your Sonos account (adjusting room settings etc.)
Well, I want to know a reason....Can my whole system be returned because of false information?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sonos System Requirements

Controller requirements

Supported OS versions

An iOS or Android device is required to set up a new Sonos system or add new products

If you are investing $3000.00 into something, maybe try doing some research.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If you bought it from Sonos directly, they offer a 45-day money back guarantee
I think it says in most electronic hardware manuals, that things are 'subject to change without notice'. I’m sure I read that somewhere in the Sonos Manual... The current Sonos system requirements are also clearly documented online here for all to see...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126
As far as reasons why...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300

It may not give you the answer you want to hear, but Sonos typically gives their reasons for whatever change they've made in the announcement forum. And of course, you'll see everyone else's opinions on the topic as well.
After expending about $3000.00 US on my system I am told that I need a phone to set it up.. who does this to their customers ??? No phone no setting up my system.Really SONOS ??? Just got off the phone from Sonos "tech" support. Confirmed that Win App software upgrade create a status quo of that you need a smart device i.e. apple / android to manage and configure your system. Basically in brick layer terms is that the Sonos Play5 hardware and software need these devices being Android / IOS to get the system to speak to your router, and as in their business model to bi-directionally send your usage data to Sonos. That way Sonos stay in control of you because your Sonos device will not work unless you play by their rules......Mark of the beast ring a bell somewhere????
After expending about $3000.00 US on my system I am told that I need a phone to set it up.. who does this to their customers ??? No phone no setting up my system.Really SONOS ??? Just got off the phone from Sonos "tech" support. Confirmed that Win App software upgrade create a status quo of that you need a smart device i.e. apple / android to manage and configure your system. Basically in brick layer terms is that the Sonos Play5 hardware and software need these devices being Android / IOS to get the system to speak to your router, and as in their business model to bi-directionally send your usage data to Sonos. That way Sonos stay in control of you because your Sonos device will not work unless you play by their rules......Mark of the beast ring a bell somewhere????

Perhaps read the privacy statement?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

And the phone is just a controller, it doesn't need to be on for the system to work, and would not be used for sending usage data, since the speakers can speak to the Sonos cloud directly.
Sonos needs to collect the usage data in order to send targeted advertising through your home audio system:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4235857-sonos-future-may-depend-services-hardware
Sonos needs to collect the usage data in order to send targeted advertising through your home audio system:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4235857-sonos-future-may-depend-services-hardware

You do fall for hacks, don't you?

Being that targeted advertising would violate Sonos' declaration that they will never sell you data, now or in the future, your link is either fake news, or a declaration that Sonos is the dumbest company on the face of the earth.

Being that targeted advertising would violate Sonos' declaration that they will never sell you data, now or in the future, your link is either fake news, or a declaration that Sonos is the dumbest company on the face of the earth.

I'm not sure that it would. Sonos could theoretically do targeted advertising without selling your data. If, for example, a user had a Pandora free account with ads, Sonos could insert the targeted ads in the stream on behalf of Pandora without providing any data to Pandora. If a user opted out of data collection, then a user would then get un-targeted ads.

I'm not saying Sonos will ever do this, but I'm not sure it would really bother me too much. If I'm going to get ads, I'm fine with them being targeted as long as my user data doesn't leave Sonos.

Regardless, this is getting offtopic. The thought was that Sonos had made the move to mobile app setup only to enable data collection, which is completely untrue.