Answered

Sonos Control on Android TV box needs better remote interaction

• 23 December 2015
  • 10 replies

Many media apps work great on Android TV box using the handheld remote...moving from screen to screen, field to field and selecting with the typical navigation buttons. Though I just gave it a quick try...got things linked up and music playing OK...but navigation in Android Sonos Controller is nearly impossible without a touchscreen or touchpad remote. Can this be remedied to work better with typical TV box remote navigation buttons (Up, Down, Left, Right, Select, Back)? It IS really nice to see now playing info on the big screen and select music that resides on attached drives. It would be GREAT if you could make adjustments on the Sonos systems more easily from your main media center.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed H 14 January 2016, 10:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Many media apps work great on Android TV box using the handheld remote...moving from screen to screen, field to field and selecting with the typical navigation buttons. Though I just gave it a quick try...got things linked up and music playing OK...but navigation in Android Sonos Controller is nearly impossible without a touchscreen or touchpad remote. Can this be remedied to work better with typical TV box remote navigation buttons (Up, Down, Left, Right, Select, Back)? It IS really nice to see now playing info on the big screen and select music that resides on attached drives. It would be GREAT if you could make adjustments on the Sonos systems more easily from your main media center.

Thanks Indi, no news to share on Android TV but will pass your feedback on for you.
I should clarify...I'm referring to generic TV boxes that use Android 4.x & 5.x OS...not the specific AndroidTV box I'm now reading about.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Indi,

I have an Nvidia Shield TV at home, and I'm sorry to say that many apps are still not optimized for TV usage on Android, similar to how many apps have yet to be optimized for tablets either. The situation would be the same regardless of which Android version or Android TV product you're talking about.

The Sonos app is not available for Android TV through the Play Store, so I assume you side loaded it in some fashion. I prefer to use the Sonos app on my phone personally, but I've side loaded some apps that aren't meant for Android TV, and for many of them the only solution I've found is to use a mouse. Until Google figures out a way to use touch oriented apps more easily on TV, many apps will require a similar workaround. This is why you don't see some apps available directly through the Play store.
It would be cool if you could set this up without side loading shenanigans, even with the limitations around touch vs. mouse/remote input. My wife and I just bought our first Sonos gear (connect to an AV receiver/old Bose system + a Play:5) and so far love it. We had gotten used to seeing album art and artist/title on the TV while playing music in the house through AppleTV. That was an easy glance at the big screen when something interesting came on ("who is that artist?"), and I'd like to get back to that experience with Sonos. For now I'd be fine with keeping music selection/control on things more "touch friendly".
bump, this feature request needs to happen.
Just having upgraded to an Android TV, I was puzzled as to why the SONOS app was not available and integrated. This would surely be an easy fix and a real selling point, especially for checking what was being played anywhere there is a TV?

Come on folks, time to make it happen!
Bong! Make it happen! :8
+1 need this too
+1 this should be a priority is sonos wants to be innovative
Badge +1
+ this is really an must