Answered

Sonos chime instead of local music

• 5 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
As I have seen with some other posts the Sonos chime occasionally plays instead of the playlist music from my computer. It worked perfectly for maybe 6 months but then this has happened a few times in the past weeks. As I saw from another post (https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-alarm-plays-chime-instead-of-pandora-6789800) the recommendation is to submit diagnostics so I have done that.

The confirmation number of the submission is: 1968602670

Can someone take a look at that and let me know what's going on? The music playlist its attempting to play is music from the "Music Library" on one of my computers.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 5 June 2018, 12:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This happens when the controller is having problems accessing the music folder. This may be due to IP conflicts, network issues or possibly wireless interference.

The first thing to try would be to re-boot your system: Switch off power to router, Sonos units, computer, NAS and ALL devices connected to the network (phones, tablets and so on). Then power up the router, wait for it to connect to the internet. Switch on power to Bridge/Boost next and wait a few mins if you have those. Then switch on power to the Sonos speakers/Connects. Then power back everything else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It could also happen if your computer's power settings have changed, and your computer is now going to sleep after a long idle period. With the computer asleep, it saves power, yes, but Sonos can't communicate with it when it wants to play your music, resulting in the chime instead of the music.

I know that in Windows 10, Microsoft will occasionally show tips saying that your computer's power settings aren't optimized... so if you've made changes to your power settings, that might be why.
Badge
Thanks. I changed the source of the music to point to a Spotify playlist instead of local music in case there is something odd with the WiFi to my local computer.