Sonos Can't Find Music Library (Computer Not Found)

• 4 February 2013
  • 36 replies

I'm having a problem adding my music library to Sonos. I've sent diagnostics with confirmation number: 2324524. I have a desktop PC with itunes music. I have my sonos bridge connected directly to my router (no wireless). I have my PC connected directly to the router as well. From my desktop PC, I can open the sonos program and play all music - pandora, songza etc. But my library doesn't appear. When I try to add the library (which is on the desktop itself), I get the message indicating that my Computer is not found. This was working a month ago and not sure what has happened. Thoughts? Andy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Badge
Hello Andy, After taking a look a the diagnostic it doesn't appear that Sonos is trying to add your music library. Is your computer wired into the network or wireless? Do you have any firewalls on your computer? Firewalls tend to block file sharing and must be configured in order to allow Sonos to access your music. You can find steps on the configuration for your firewall here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692. If you are still unable to add your music library after configuring the firewall please submit another diagnostic of your system.
I had this same problem and my firewall is configured perfectly 😞
Badge
I have the same proble on Windows 8. The library is on a second hard drive im my PC. I can see and play the songs in Itunes. To been able to play music I have to remove the library and re-add.
Badge
I have the same proble on Windows 8. The library is on a second hard drive im my PC. I can see and play the songs in Itunes. To been able to play music I have to remove the library and re-add.
I still have this problem it will connect to some of my music but not all
Figured it out for symantic, hopefully all of the firewalls.... Go to your firewall rules or exceptions. Add a new rule. Under the general tab, set it to "Allow this traffic", "All network adapters." Next, Hosts tab, Click on MAC Address. Open your Sonos Controller and click on the Help tab and then "About My Sonos System..." Find the serial number in that list and add it as the MAC address(minus the last digit.) Next tab, Ports and Protocols tab, set it to "All IP Protocols" and "Both." Next tab, Applications tab, do NOT add the Sonos desktop controller(or Sonos.exe). Last tab is Scheduling, do not do scheduling.
Hi Having the same problem with a MAC, tried adding an exception and then disabling the firewall totally, still same problem, says it can find the machine its hosted on??
Here is the ## of a diagnostic 2376766 from when the problem first appeared today. I cannot play my music library either through the controller on my MacbookPro or IPad mini. This has been a recurring problem in recent weeks, about which I've had to make several calls to support to trouble shoot. Apparently this is a known problem, at least for the laptop, having nothing to do with any firewall or lack of sharing being turned on. I have gone through the steps I've been advised to take (restarting, checking for updates), and I still get the error message "unable to play . . . the share [name of file] does not exist. One thing I notice is that the problem seems to occur each time after I update the music library. It's not necessarily confined to that, but this seems to be associated. In the past, I've happily recommended Sonos to others, but I am now losing confidence in the system. I'm hoping a solution can be found that really works, and soon. Thanks for your help.
We have periodically had the same problem ever since we bought the Sonos system some long long months ago. We use a Mac and are unable to play our sonos playlists. The system has been sitting unused for a couple of months now as I was getting really fed up trying to fix it each time it stopped working. It's an expensive piece of kit to have sitting around however abd I have girded my loins to have another go and ...... failure - yet again! It really is no good to have a piece of technology in this day and age which is so hit an dmiss.
SONOS PLEASE!!! fix this problem. I too have been unable to use my Music library from my MAC with any regularity. I install and uninstall my Library so many times. This is getting to be such a waste of my time and damned embarrassing when I am entertaining and my system is constantly failing me.
Similar problem here. Suddenly Sonos PC software and iPhone/iPad controller were unable to find my music library on my NAS, what it did for month. It took me two days reconfigurating, deleting, reconnecting and suddenly, without an understandable reason the library was found under the same route....... very strange
I've had numerous calls with Sonos over the last two months, and what is emerging is that there is a problem in the sonos interface with Mac products overall. I'd be interested to know if those who are writing here are on Macs or PCs. My problems started to arise when I migrated from a PC to a Mac. The last tech support person with whom I spoke said directly that the SBS form of file sharing that Sonos uses does not interact smoothly with Mac products, but "hangs up," so that, if you are trying to use the sonos controller on an iPad or iPhone, it may not work. He had a workaround for this (turn off file sharing on the PC, wait a bit, turn it on again), and it seems to work, but of course this defeats the point of using the iPad or iPhone controller, and doesn't at all address the underlying problem of trying to play directly from the Mac computer. I urge everyone to raise this if you call tech support, as it appears this should not be treated as an individual problem specific to each of us as users, but rather is a wider problem that needs a systemic fix.
I am having exactly the same problem and am at my wits end. Having persuaded my wife that she could listen to all our music in one place and having thrown our 15 yr old CD system out, I'm looking pretty stupid. What a nightmare... the error message I get is The computer "(null)" cannot be found, Help please before divorce proceedings commence
Badge
I am having exactly the same problem and am at my wits end. Having persuaded my wife that she could listen to all our music in one place and having thrown our 15 yr old CD system out, I'm looking pretty stupid. What a nightmare... the error message I get is The computer "(null)" cannot be found, Help please before divorce proceedings commence
Hello, The network name that Sonos is finding for your computer, "(null)," is most likely not matching what your computers name is under Sharing. To fix this problem you will need to rename the computer by clicking on the Apple icon > System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name. Type a computer name that is 15 characters or less with no spaces or punctuation. Once you have made the change you will need to restart your computer. After the restart try to add your music library to Sonos again by going to Manage > Music Library Settings > Click the "+" icon. If you receive an error message please submit a diagnostic. You can find instructions on how to submit a diagnostic here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142.
Scott: Nice of you to respond to those of us who are having this problem. Just as an FYI to you, Sonos worked with me to change the computer name twice (even though it was fewer than 15 characters to begin with), and the problem nonetheless persists. Please see my comment of about 5 days ago on information I've gleaned over time vis-a-vis this problem. It appears to be systemic and may be specific to Sonos interface with Mac products. (FYI, I am going to have another support session with a level 2 tech upon my return from traveling, and we'll see what transpires, but I pass this along for troubleshooting purposes in the meantime, as the problem does seem to be systemic, not individual.)
I am having this problem as well, and I am using a Windows 7 PC. I have changed the name of the PC and updated my firewall settings. Still no luck.
Badge
I am having this problem as well, and I am using a Windows 7 PC. I have changed the name of the PC and updated my firewall settings. Still no luck.
Hello Michael, What is the error message that you receive when attempting to add the music library? Could you try adding the music once again and submit a diagnostic of your system after receiving the error message once again? You can find instructions on how to submit a diagnostic here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142.
Same problem, firewall is fine, computer name has been shortened and contains no special characters, and still get the error message that my mac can't be found. Diagnostic #: 3038051 Any help totally appreciated.
Ok in the end we contacted the company who fitted all our sonos stuff after months of trying on my own to fix it! If there has been a power cut at any time ie storms etc it can cause the connections to only go to default. Therefore not accessing the full misic library. Inspire who fitted mine took the box away rebooted it and hey presto I now have h full access to my music library and a whole lot more. It can also be a lost connection don't ask why they just wear out Apparently!
I have the same problem - diagnostic submitted - 3047318
I cannot access my iTunes library. I get the same error as others I.e. the computer xx cannot be found Is there a fix for this yet?
I don't know what to say in response. Since first posting my frustrations here, I have "fixed" the problem but have no idea how. It appears to have been while messing around - changing this - changing that. I can't even recall what I did change. I do share everyone's frustrations here. I have no faith that my system will remain "fixed".
got same problem, sonos cant find computer "macbook" Not happy.
It worked fine before the lastest update by the way.
Userlevel 2
I have been wrestling with this problem ever since I got mu Sonos a few weeks a go. Everything else works perfectly (Pandora etc), the controller on my computer or phone work perfectly but I could not get access to my iTunes library on my computer. "Computer (name) not found" kept coming up. I went into the control panel >security centre and disabled the firewall and Voila! It loaded the library in a few moments. I am on a Windows XP laptop. Hope this helps. Richard