Sonos can't connect to my mac for music library on iTunes

• 31 August 2014
  • 68 replies

Sonos cannot connect to my mac. I have followed all the instructions and very frustrated as I have spent a lot of money on an Audio consultant and the hardware ... and am still playing music on my phone when we have guests! please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

The entire Manage menu is greyed out. I can't select any of the options and I'd like to sync my music library. How do I deal with this?
Badge +1
The entire Manage menu is greyed out. I can't select any of the options and I'd like to sync my music library. How do I deal with this?

Hi finrstmachineage,

Normally when vital options such as this are greyed out it would indicate a Software update is required or the controller device is running only a partially supported OS version.

Can you confirm your system is Fully Up to Date and you're running a fully supported OS version.
My system is fully up to date and I have the same issue in accessing music from my Seagate PersonalCloud server. I can see the files, but Sonos generates a message indicating that it cannot add songs to the queue. I submitted diagnostics for reference...6664805.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you please try changing the cable, Todd? It seems your system is struggling to actually access the files.
I am having the same issue. I noticed this after upgrading to iOS 10.12 but I somehow fixed it. Now there was a new update to iOS 10.12.1 and it stopped working again. i submitted a diagnostic -- 6683631
I was able to make it work. Apparently it can see the files when I navigate through the menu directly to the server, but it can't play them. If I add them to the music library first and then access them via that navigation, it works no problem.
how can i fix this ? I had done the firewall setting in "Privacy & security"
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
how can i fix this ? I had done the firewall setting in "Privacy & security"
Hi, the issue is your "Computer Name" is too long. The max number of characters should be 16.
Please change your Mac computer name and try again.

Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So overnight Sonos decided it could no longer see my music folders on my iMac and sent an error message to tell me this. So I deleted the old library (on Sonos for MAC) and tried to re-add it using "iTunes usual place" and got an error saying Sonos couldn't find my iMAC. I then tried the "browse" method and although I can find the mac and the appropriate folders and am asked for the administrators password it returns with "The computer "Marks-iMac" cannot be found."

iTunes and other apps can still access my music.

This is quite aberrant behaviour. I did accept an update of the Sonos controller on my MAC yesterday - it says it is Version 7 Build 34735162b. And the Music Library setting is set to do an update every morning at 8am. My guess is that this is what triggered the error message.

Firewall is set to off but as I haven't changed any settings on the Mac recently I don't think the issue is at this end.

I have no intention of re-naming my computer to fix what is a Sonos issue as I have no idea what flow-on effect it might have to my other applications/shares.

Help...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So overnight Sonos decided it could no longer see my music folders on my iMac and sent an error message to tell me this. So I deleted the old library (on Sonos for MAC) and tried to re-add it using "iTunes usual place" and got an error saying Sonos couldn't find my iMAC. I then tried the "browse" method and although I can find the mac and the appropriate folders and am asked for the administrators password it returns with "The computer "Marks-iMac" cannot be found."

iTunes and other apps can still access my music.

This is quite aberrant behaviour. I did accept an update of the Sonos controller on my MAC yesterday - it says it is Version 7 Build 34735162b. And the Music Library setting is set to do an update every morning at 8am. My guess is that this is what triggered the error message.

Firewall is set to off but as I haven't changed any settings on the Mac recently I don't think the issue is at this end.

I have no intention of re-naming my computer to fix what is a Sonos issue as I have no idea what flow-on effect it might have to my other applications/shares.

Help...

Hi Glockers,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app then reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here. Really frustrating!!!!!!!!
Hi I am having the same issue as many users and have tried all suggested fixes to no avail, here is the diagnostic
The error message i get is "Sonos was unable to add the music folder" "The computer "" refused to let sonos connect to it"
I am browsing to the music folder
Please help, frustrating having a useless sonos
Sonos cannot connect to my mac. I have followed all the instructions and very frustrated as I have spent a lot of money on an Audio consultant and the hardware ... and am still playing music on my phone when we have guests! please help!
I've encountered the same issue. Without any systems changes, the Sonos app could not find the server. The solution, thanks to one of the earlier replies, is to check file sharing settings. I'm using an iMac with OS X 10.10.5 Go into System preferences/sharing/options and select the account (i.e. tick the box along side your name, then tick the boxes above for SMB and AFP. That resolved the problem and reloaded the full music library.
Why it happened in the first place is a mystery. I hope this is useful to other experiencing this issue.
Same problem on my Mac after years of seamless use. What happened? My diagnostic Your confirmation number is: 8274536.
SO frustrated with Sonos! Have spent hours with them trying to correct the following issue to no avail. My Sonos will play music I have downloaded to my iPhone but it WILL NOT not connect to my iTunes folder on my iMac.I get a message that says either “unable to add shared folder” Or that says my “file sharing settings need to be adjusted”.
We have tried eight ways to Sunday to fix this and nobody at Sonos seems to be able to solve this issue. They blame it on Apple and so I call Apple and Apple says it is definitely a Sonos issue. How can it possibly be that I can play my music when it is downloaded onto my phone but I cannot play my music that is in my iTunes folder on my iMac… How Come Sonos cannot connect to this??!!!
Could this be a netbios (computer) naming convention issue ... see this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/909264/