Sonos can't connect to my mac for music library on iTunes

• 31 August 2014
  • 68 replies

Sonos cannot connect to my mac. I have followed all the instructions and very frustrated as I have spent a lot of money on an Audio consultant and the hardware ... and am still playing music on my phone when we have guests! please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

I have enabled sharing on my Mac, I have kept the macbook name really short however I am unable to search for a share so I enter the path manually and get told that the macbook won't allow the connection. I don't have a firewall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you please follow the directions on this guided assistance FAQ to get that music library up and running? It sounds like you've already done most of those directions, but we'd like to recreate the error messages on the players for the next step. If you're still having trouble, can you please submit a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks.
I cannot now either update my I Tunes library, or even play music from it now !  Would someone from Sonos, admit there is a problem . Is it something to do with the Yosemite upgrade , or is it a Sonos problem . When i try to play music it is saying 'the server can't be found'.  When i try to update the library on Sonos, it says' I Tunes no longer available.' Can someone PLEASE help us . I spent a lot of money on my Sonos system..basically it is now a radio player !!
..I should also say that everything was great until the Yosemite upgrade . No problems with 18,000 tracks . So please.........no technical stuff about file types,codecs, blah blah. There are too many people on many forums, complaining about the same subject. 
I also have the same problem since updating to OS X Yosemite, worked well before upgrade, and ideas please
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Jon and Tony,

In most situations, music shares will work just fine following an operating system upgrade. However, changes to an operating system may result in potential file sharing issues in some situations, as many important system files are re-written or replaced. Usually these problems can be resolved quickly via configuration changes.  

Take a look at these troubleshooting suggestions and let us know how it goes.

General Troubleshooting Suggestions:

1. Remove and re-add your music library from that computer under Manage > Music Library Settings. (Jon, you've already done this step I see.)
  2. Rename the computer and add the library again. Described in my post below in detail, and on this FAQ page.
  3. Finally, you can manually setup a share and add your music library through the network sharing option.
If you’re still not able to get your music share working following the update to Yosemite, please send a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number. We’ll take a look at it for you.
Thank you Ryan for your reply. I have actually now managed to remove and re add my music library , but had to do it from my desktop Sonos app, and not from my I Phone app. (That doesn't work!) 
Deleting the old library and letting Sonos find the new library name seems to do the trick !!
Thanks for getting back .
Jon
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thank you Ryan for your reply. I have actually now managed to remove and re add my music library , but had to do it from my desktop Sonos app, and not from my I Phone app. (That doesn't work!) 
Deleting the old library and letting Sonos find the new library name seems to do the trick !!
Jon

Great to hear. You do need to do that from the computer, as likely the sharing settings on the machine were reset during the operating system upgrade. The phone can't setup those permissions on the computer. 

Let us know if you have any further trouble, we're here to help.
Jon

I managed to do this by going into sharing settings and ticking the SMB option and clearing the AFP option.
Jon

That was on the Mac
Jon

I was facing this issue and found a solution that works.   My music is in a shared folder that I point my iTunes towards.   After following all the other checks (firewall, sharing permissions, disk utility verification, etc.), I manually added my music library using the 3rd set-up option but noticed the recommended path syntax:  \\computer\user\music folder didn't follow the mac convention.  I used \\computer/user/shared music folder instead and it worked like a charm.  I have both AFP and SMB file sharing options selected under OS 10.9.5.
Badge
@RT than you for this - this solved my problem too.  Finally I have Sonos working on my iMac.  I have to ask: why on earth have Sonos implemented the Mac client in such a complicated way?  The music is on the disk drive on same Mac that the Sonos client is running on - why on earth doesn't it just read it - why do we need to bring in dodgy Windows technology (SMB) to share a drive - there has to be a simpler way.
I had the same problem with adding iTunes to my sonos controller on my mac yosemite.  I tried a number of the recommendations provided by the support strings.  
Finally, I resolved the problem by deleting the sonos controller on the mac and all the references in mac library using the program CleanMyMac.  I  then reinstalled the sonos controller and linked it to the existing sonos system.  I then added the iTunes directory and it is working beautifully.  NO problems since.
Hi Ryan, 

I've tried all of the above and still can't get it to work. 
The diagnostic ref no. is: 4763152

Thanks!
Take care of your iTunes music library
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ryan, 

I've tried all of the above and still can't get it to work. 
The diagnostic ref no. is: 4763152

Thanks!

Thanks for that diagnostic. The players aren't able to get the name of the computer to respond properly on the network. This could be caused by a firewall on the computer preventing the resolution, an issue with the router not recognizing the computer properly, or some other trouble on the network.

Have you tried renaming the computer and adding the library again? I have some steps for doing this here and you can find it on this FAQ page too. Once you've renamed the computer, rebooting the router will make sure the new name is registered. Make sure you reboot your computer too.

Do you have the OS X firewall turned on or a different firewall or security software running?

Let us know how it goes.
I had the same issue with not being able to connect to my iTunes library on my Mac (10.10.4) after the latest controller update, so i tried removing the library and readding and now each time i add it, it goes through the process of adding / syncing and then it never shows up in the music library window.
Renaming my computer isn't really an option given other dependency related to that. Any help greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue with not being able to connect to my iTunes library on my Mac (10.10.4) after the latest controller update, so i tried removing the library and readding and now each time i add it, it goes through the process of adding / syncing and then it never shows up in the music library window.
Renaming my computer isn't really an option given other dependency related to that. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve.  However you feel about renaming the computer, please could you confirm what the computer's name for sharing and NetBIOS name are (see link below)?  Are you adding the folder to Sonos by selecting the "in my iTunes folder on this computer" or by browsing to it?  Are you using the Controller on the Mac itself to try to add the folder?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/~/mac-os-x-music-sharing-help

I've actually given in and purchased an NAS and I'm in the process of moving my library there. Thanks for the quick get back though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Good idea Steve. A lot of good uses at home for an NAS.
hi i had same issue on Yosemite, what i have done is enabled sharing of itunes folder by clicking right button on mouse, open get info, general options enable sharing. worked straight away.
Hi there,
Can you please help with this problem. I have a iMac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
When I play music through my library the songs freeze and I get a message telling me Sonas can't connect to my library or play that particular song.
There is nothing wrong with my wifi or the library songs as I can play them all on iTunes ok.
Can you please help as I need it to work not just for listening but music practice as well for backing tracks.
Many thanks in advance,
E
Hi,

I'm having problem with my Sonos on my mac. Before i updated to the Latest Sonos software, i was able to access my entire itunes playlist from the Sonos controller on Mac book pro and iphone. Since the update, when i go to "Update Music Library" or even "Music Library Settings" it does not let me click onto it. I've reset the wifi and Sonos, ive also deleted the current shared files i used for my music but now it will not let me add it back on. I have alot of music which now i don't have access to now. Here is my diagnostics number 4996569.

Someone please help?
Hello,
I'm having the same issue as many folks above using a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.5; I have done all the steps outlined to no avail. I checked my internet sharing settings, removed and added the library again and still get error code (1002) when I try to play a track from my music library (directly from the desk top controller). I did as requested above and submitted a diagnostic. The Confirmation code is 5162344. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, as this is very frustrating.
Thank you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello,
I'm having the same issue as many folks above using a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.5; I have done all the steps outlined to no avail. I checked my internet sharing settings, removed and added the library again and still get error code (1002) when I try to play a track from my music library (directly from the desk top controller). I did as requested above and submitted a diagnostic. The Confirmation code is 5162344. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, as this is very frustrating.
Thank you.

Hi JenDM, welcome to the community. I have reviewed your diagnostic and didn't see any WiFi interference errors. Is your Mac wired to the router or wirelessly connect to the network? If wireless can you for test wire the Mac to the network via Ethernet and test. Let us know how it goes. Also, submit a new diagnostic.