Answered

Sonos Bridge (SonosNet) vs pure WiFi network

• 13 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
I have struggled over the years with my Sonos system and it's intermittent on/off the network. So, I finally re-configured network to be 100% on my WiFi with a LinkSys net extender (using same SSID). It's stable now...BUT

1) My Sonos controller (not a phone) no longer works because it needs to communicate through a bridge; correct? But, using a bridge means I have to go back to a private SonosNet; correct?

2) So, my options are to continue using Android phones/tablet to run the system (wife likes the old controller) or to migrate to voice-control (Amazon Echo) or other controller (waiting for a Flipp)....

I think that voice-control may be her best bet....thoughts?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 October 2017, 22:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

1) No, to my knowledge, the controller does not need to communicate through a bridge. It needs to communicate via wifi to the router that the Sonos system is set up on. I would infer from the way you've identified it that it's one of the Sonos devices (CR-100 or CR-200?) that are no longer sold/supported. I don't have one, but I believe there are others here who do. I'd assume it has the ability to connect to the wifi, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

2) Yes, Android phones/tablets are great ways to run the system. As are computers. You can have multiple devices that all have the ability to control your system. You're not stuck with just one. I happen to have 1 Mac, and 3 different iOS devices (phones and tablets) that all control my one system.

Voice control happens to be pretty awesome. Granted, I'm probably not the target market for it, I tend to play one playlist, and it's a local (NAS) list at that. But once I've started it using the controller, I do 99% of what I need to using the Amazon Echo/Dots that I have sprinkled around my house. I can resume, pause, raise or lower volume, skip songs, all by voice. That covers my needs quite explicitly.

Sure, I'll be happy when/if they're able to deal with starting other local playlists, or allow me to search for a specific local song, but for my use, it's already damn good.
Your controller must be on the same subnet as your Sonos devices. This means if your extenders are on a different subnet, they will not be able to connect to Sonos. Also, Sonos operates on 2.4 GHz Wifi, so if your router has both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz WiFi, and it does not bridge between the two, you must connect to the 2.4 GHz in order to control Sonos.
Badge +2
Let me ask the question again (please)....Can a SONOS brand controller (CR-200) work on a pure 2.4GHz WiFi network? I use my WiFi phones and laptops OK. I have an old SONOS bridge and the controller, but doesn't that then require a special sub-net?

I used to have my entire SONOS system set-up on the dedicated bridge network, buit it kept droping out, so now it's 100% on my main WiFi network. All good except the CR-200
Let me ask the question again (please)....Can a SONOS brand controller (CR-200) work on a pure 2.4GHz WiFi network? I use my WiFi phones and laptops OK. I have an old SONOS bridge and the controller, but doesn't that then require a special sub-net?

I used to have my entire SONOS system set-up on the dedicated bridge network, buit it kept droping out, so now it's 100% on my main WiFi network. All good except the CR-200

The CR200 must be used with a Sonosnet (Boost) setup. It is incompatible with a WiFi (Standard) setup.
Badge +2
Thanks for the replies. I will leave my network as "pure WiFi" and not revert to the SonosNet (boost) setup. I have an older bridge and when I setup the network via that path, it seems to drop off the network occasionally....don't know why, but leave well-enough alone! My wife will have to learn to run the system via Android or Amazon Alexa now.
Thanks for the replies. I will leave my network as "pure WiFi" and not revert to the SonosNet (boost) setup. I have an older bridge and when I setup the network via that path, it seems to drop off the network occasionally....don't know why, but leave well-enough alone! My wife will have to learn to run the system via Android or Amazon Alexa now.

Some Bridges have wonky power supplies. You can pick up a replacement power supply on Amazon for cheap. I would definitely try that because the Sonosnet setup is far superior to just WiFi in many ways.