Sonos Beam, night mode schedule function

• 25 October 2018
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 3
It would be nice if we were able to schedule when the night mode and dialogue modes are on and off like when you set alarms.
We always use both modes in the evening and only dialogue during daytime. Now I have to turn night mode on and off every evening on my phone which is a little annoying to me. I would rather have them automatically turn on during specific hours and turn them off manually the few times I don't want to use them in the evening.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, TheFrog. Thanks for the post and sharing your feedback. I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Do you think these settings should be on the Now Playing screen where Night Mode and Dialog Clarity can be found? Where in the controller would you like to see a feature like this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
can it be done via IFTTT?
Userlevel 3
Hi Keith N, thank you for forwarding this topic. I think the best place would be under settings>room settings(beam settings) >night/dialogue schedule.
My first thought was that it should be underneath the alarm option, but in that case it would have to be greyed out or not visible to users that do not own a soundbar.
The Now Playing screen should stay the same. Then you would have the option to override the schedule temporarily by simply hitting the buttons on the Now Playing screen.
Example : My Beam is set to turn on Night Mode every day between 7 pm and 7am. Then if some day I want to watch a movie at 8 pm without Night Mode turned on, I simply uncheck it on the Now Playing screen.
If I choose to leave Night Mode off, it will automatically turn back on the next day at 7pm and continue to follow the schedule.
Just got Beam and it's amazing how good it is for such a little soundbar, and I had to turn volume down many times because it can get very loud but is there a way to turn on night mode with Alexa? I found someone posted saying "Alexa, set night mode" but that doesn't work.
Userlevel 3
Voice commands are not supported where I live - yet. But even if it was, I would still prefer the schedule. The schedule would make it hassle free to the whole family. I could set it up and then my wife and kids wouldn't have to worry about it.
Voice commands are not supported where I live - yet. But even if it was, I would still prefer the schedule. The schedule would make it hassle free to the whole family. I could set it up and then my wife and kids wouldn't have to worry about it.

Yes, absolutely I also prefer schedule where I would watch TV late into the night but wanted loudness in the daytime.
Today I bought my first Sonos Beam. i was impressed how easy the set up was. Well done!
BUT it feels almost like an insult, that there is no night mode schedule function :8 So please make that product perfect and spent him a night mode schedule function...
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi there, TheFrog. Thanks for the post and sharing your feedback. I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Do you think these settings should be on the Now Playing screen where Night Mode and Dialog Clarity can be found? Where in the controller would you like to see a feature like this?

Please include this in playbar/base set ups too.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
TheFrog is not the only user requesting this. I've had my Sonos for a few short weeks and in the first couple of days I looked for an option like this.
I too would think it would be near the Alarms section or maybe even holding down the night button could activate a pop up menu with the scheduling options.
This feature is really really sorely needed.
Hopefully Sonos will do us right. I would think it would be super hard to do. (I'm no programmer though)
I want this feature too!
+1 for this.

I spent a lot of cash on a 5.1 Sonos setup and it's amazing! A little too amazing... So at night and early in the morning Night Mode is a must have if I want to keep my current living arrangements and wellbeing...

I think that having a schedule is very important. I would also settle for enabling night mode using my voice assistant, over infrared or through my Logitech Harmony hub and remote
I raised this with Sonos in 2016 and I'm still really wanting this feature on my Playbar, especially now I've added surround speakers to the setup.

Either a schedule for night mode, or something that automatically turns off night mode after x hours.

Please Sonos, you know it makes sense 😉
Userlevel 1
Please can we have an update to when this simple feature is going to be completed?
Unlikely. To date, Sonos has never shared a timeline, save the time they integrated Apple Music, and Google voice, the latter of which they missed the original date. That's likely why you won't find out when until it gets released, unless you care to join the Sonos Beta program, in which case you might find out slightly earlier than the rest of us.
What on earth is the purpose of this forum if not to see our requests realized! HOW HARD is this!? Night mode scheduling...not rocket science, let’s go Sonos! There’s been hundreds of requests for this and closed threads with only “I’ll forward this onto the team” what a blow off.
Userlevel 1
What on earth is the purpose of this forum if not to see our requests realized! HOW HARD is this!? Night mode scheduling...not rocket science, let’s go Sonos! There’s been hundreds of requests for this and closed threads with only “I’ll forward this onto the team” what a blow off.
Here here!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
In that case, I’ll lodge a vote against night mode.

I watch and listen at different times of night and day. I don’t have a regular time that I’d want night mode set to cut in.

Whilst I can see benefits for a few users, I’d rather see development time and resource spent on more/better integration with Alexa and GA, for example, than on night mode.
Userlevel 1
In that case, I’ll lodge a vote against night mode.

I watch and listen at different times of night and day. I don’t have a regular time that I’d want night mode set to cut in.

Whilst I can see benefits for a few users, I’d rather see development time and resource spent on more/better integration with Alexa and GA, for example, than on night mode.In that case, I’ll lodge a vote against night mode.

Whilst I can see benefits for a few users, I’d rather see development time and resource spent on more/better integration with Alexa and GA, for example, than on night mode.

Then don’t turn it on maybe!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Yup, but as I said in my post I’d rather see the development time and resource spent elsewhere.
FWIW, for those that like to use Alexa, these commands are available and may help (a little), rather than reaching for the Sonos controller App... You just need to say these things before starting initial playback at night.

Alexa...
"Switch to Night Mode on [Room Name]" to turn on night mode via voice.
"Switch to Speech Enhancement mode on [Room Name]" to turn on speech enhancement via voice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yup, but as I said in my post I’d rather see the development time and resource spent elsewhere.

And theirin lies the rub. What is one persons must have new feature is simple Meh to another.

I'd like to see this feature, along with lots of other simple enhancements but given the GA and Alexa stuff ging on I don't expect these to be a priority for Sonos.

It would be a great if Sonos had a quick wins dev team to do this a a number of other changes that would be small but make a big usability hit.
Can you make it so you can switch Night mode off with Alexa as well as switch it on? Or else put a schedule setting on so it can be automatic...
This is a great speaker system but night mode doesn’t really do what it should if you have to remember to put it on and off

+1. This seems like such an obvious feature to have. If you can’t offer it in your own app can you at least open up night mode control to HomeKit or Alexa integrations so I can make my own schedule.

I’ve got a 2019 LG TV integrated with HomeKit and do all kinds of scheduling magic with on/off control and inputs. It puts Sonos to shame in terms of their integration.

Adding support for this feature request.  It came up as the kids get up earlier than everyone else and turn on the TV.  The bass resonates through the house early in the morning.

I would think the simplest development path would be to make this an IFTTT option.

Bumping this. It seems to be a really obvious feature that wouldn’t be a great shake to implement.