sonos app V10

• 1 February 2019
  • 24 replies

The latest version of the Sonos app is utter rubbish*!! and disconnects all the time, refuses to play what's been chosen,your now unable to control from the lock screen.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are almost always caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Oh and by the way, when you signed up for an account, you agreed to the TOS, which disallows the use of profanity. There's no reason for a sane adult to post like you did in a public forum. Grow up.
It's stupid and I wish I never bought this POS
Scroll down to "Adding multiple accounts for a music service"

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2757?language=en

A computer scientist should be capable of finding the support pages himself.
Providing a diagnostic or calling in to Sonos Support for assistance would have proven more rewarding.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I sympathise. I've been embroiled in several threads where the advice , very polite, informative, useful has been that its me not Sonos. ie. My network is the issue, despite it working fine for 10+ years both wired and wireless with no other device showing any problem. Iphones, laptopns, ipads, Playstation, Smart TV, Smart lighting controls... all working perfectly, all upgrade with ease. However, Sonos is indeed a different beast and I've found in recent years, my Sonos system usually fails after an upgrade. (see my previous threads) and v10 is proving no different, despite me having static IP allocations.
My arguments that my problems ONLY ever come to light when SONOS upgrades their apps, are dismissed.
My argument that its unreasonable for SONOS to expect its users to reconfigure IP addresses on routers, restart routers and allocate static IP's etc are dismissed.
Even having to restart the router, is an unreasonable expectation in my opinion. But again, I am in the minority for sure.
My advice to you.Smija
Just get used to it. Always set time to upgrade when you have time to fix the issues afterwards.
I upgraded yesterday and am currently reconfiguring everything again and searching my router for IP clashes that weren't there yesterday (before I applied the upgrade). And I'm also having to completely rebuild the index from scratch. ie. remove the shared folder and re-add, Cos Playlists that have been fine for years, wont play and Genres that have been fine for year are now missing a lot of tracks.. Even after this index rebuild, I can see that SONOS isnt reading all the files from my NAS anymore. One GENRE I have , should have 1000+ tracks but is only showing a few hundred.
I need to check Sonos library limits but I dont think I've hit them. ho hum !!
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Not sure what’s going on here. I am definitely not a computer scientist, but have 5 different Spotify accounts on my system, and guests use Spotify connect all the time.
Sort out your WiFi issues. It’s nothing to do with the app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Just to say that rebooting the router WITHOUT the Sonos Wi-fi booster attached, and then powering up the Boost, appears to have fixed all and Playlists, etc are now playing 🙂 I guess I need to make that a static too !!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just to say that rebooting the router WITHOUT the Sonos Wi-fi booster attached, and then powering up the Boost, appears to have fixed all and Playlists, etc are now playing 🙂 I guess I need to make that a static too !!
I wonder if you have a defective unit. Is it definitely a BOOST, not a BRIDGE? The latter seem to have an issue with flakey power supplies, resulting in exactly the kinds of issues you're reporting.
It's a shitshow. Their android app is horrendous. Why not just do your users a solid and offer chromecast & spotify connect???
Sonos proudly presents...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-7-0-with-spotify-connect-and-trueplay-for-home-theater-now-available-6762099
It's a shitshow. Their android app is horrendous. Why not just do your users a solid and offer chromecast & spotify connect???
It’s not for everyone, but I find running all my Sonos devices on the 'exclusive' SonosNet (in-built) Wifi signal, beginning with either a single Sonos Boost or Sonos Speaker, on one LAN subnet, with reserved IP addresses in the DHCP Table and setting the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels apart from the router WiFi (which should be fixed, not auto-selected) ...and removing any stored WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Advanced Settings, seems to work best, for me at least.

Network Wifi Access points, WiFi mesh hubs, Extenders, Powerline Adapters and Managed switches, can (and do) bring about some issues for many, particularly if not correctly configured.

It’s always best to use the least-used non-overlapping WiFi channels and where practicable, shift other non-Sonos wireless devices onto the 5ghz Band.

Keep reasonable distances between the wireless devices for the STP connections, or cable 'out of reach' speakers ...and of course remove/reduce likely sources of interference near to devices by separating them apart by approx 3 feet etc.

I’ve personally never had an issue with any Sonos update for a good many years and I also have quite a few speakers setup over three different floors.

I know many other users, friends and family, who follow the above suggestions (as widely mentioned, in a great deal of depth here in the community)...there or thereabouts... and they very (very) rarely suffer with any problems with Sonos updates, or the general day to day use of their speakers.

Many thousands of devices are sold by Sonos each and every day and the complaints arising here, after each update, are very few indeed by scale and quite frequently it’s the same folk complaining, or new community users who have not read any of the forum threads prior to posting their gripe.

It does very often transpire to be a local (isolated) network issue and those users, in a majority of cases, perhaps need to look a little closer to home to actually resolve their issues with Sonos 'dropouts' and the such like.

I seem to see quite a few folk, who return here from time to time, in some cases, have not even followed some of the basic suggestions found on this forum, as they are not sure about how to change some things, or settings, on their local network.

In some cases they say they have changed a setting, when clearly they haven’t and we may see those people reappear at the next update and the next and the next.

My 'polite' suggestion here therefore, is to read and implement the advice available already on the forum and then see how it goes.

These two links are perhaps a place to start, but keep reading till you find your own solution...

Reducing Wireless Interference

Local Network Stability

You could, of course, also choose to contact Sonos Customer Care directly, using this link below:

Contact Sonos Customer Care/Twitter (24/7) etc.

Anyhow I truly hope that helps and that you get your 'most likely' local network issues resolved soon.?
Sonos proudly presents...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-7-0-with-spotify-connect-and-trueplay-for-home-theater-now-available-6762099

First of all each member of our family has a personal spotify account, and only one email can be registered per sonos device so this will not work, if I am wrong please do inform me of this.

Second of all we all use android and not even the phone with the main account can enable this feature

Third, what's nice about "real" spotify connect (like my sony speaker, or chromecast, or computer, or ps4) is that it does not require registration and even friends can play music without any hassle.

Sonos is such a complete mess, and that is my opinion right now, please do try and change it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
First of all each member of our family has a personal spotify account, and only one email can be registered per sonos device so this will not work, if I am wrong please do inform me of this.
This is wrong, if I've understood you correctly.

You can enrol multiple Spotify accounts as Sonos music services, all of which will then work across all Sonos players in an installation. You choose a default account on a per-controller basis, but all the Spotify accounts are available to all controllers.
This is wrong, if I've understood you correctly.

You can enrol multiple Spotify accounts as Sonos music services, all of which will then work across all Sonos players in an installation. You can choose a default account on a per-controller basis, but all the accounts are available.

But how can i even sign in to the sonos from my phone, my partner's account is already registered and it asks for her user/pass in my sonos app on my phone, and if I input my sonos user/pass it says that i have used the wrong credentials.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But how can i even sign in to the sonos from my phone, my partner's account is already registered and it asks for her user/pass in my sonos app on my phone, and if I input my sonos user/pass it says that i have used the wrong credentials.
That's the password for the Sonos account. There is only one Sonos email/password per Sonos installation (the account to which the Sonos system is registered), but this is entirely separate from your Spotify accounts.
That's the password for the Sonos account. There is only one Sonos email/password per Sonos installation (the account to which the Sonos system is registered), but this is entirely separate from your Spotify accounts.

As a computer scientist I find the fact that I have to share credentials with other people highly upsetting and quite insulting to my craft. Everyone who is into computer security will tell you not to share secrets with other people, but now I am forced to do that, even with people I don't live with if I want them to be able to play music when they are in my home.

However,

All of that does not change the fact that she went through everything in the video above, and now she can play spotify from inside the sonos app but NOT from inside spotify using the standard spotify connect flow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
[As a computer scientist l I find the fact that I have to share credentials with other people highly upsetting and quite insulting to my craft. Everyone who is into computer security will tell you not to share secrets with other people, but now I am forced to do that, even with people I don't live with if I want them to be able to play music when they are in my home.
The Sonos controller app should require no Sonos password or any other account information unless the user is trying to change system settings. This seems reasonable. If you're seeing something different, you should call Sonos support.
Yes well spotify connect doesn't work

And I can't change EQ without her password

Who thought this was a good idea... Jesus christ
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes well spotify connect doesn't work
It should (assuming you have the same Spotify account enrolled as a Sonos music service). Call support.

(I have to say that you've made some pretty strong negative statements when it's evident that you don't have even a rudimentary understanding of how Sonos works. Nor do you seem to appreciate help from other Sonos users.)
Now I'm seeing HER playlists on MY phone? You think this is a good use case? I paid $300 for a sonos and I literally can't play my own music selection?

You think that my opinions are wrong because you are entrenched in your liking of sonos.

It's pretty clear for me as an outsider, that really wants to like this expensive system, that it is all shiny packaging and zero product know-how.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Now I'm seeing HER playlists on MY phone? You think this is a good use case? I paid $300 for a sonos and I literally can't play my own music selection?
Switch your controller app to access *your* Spotify account, not hers. It's not rocket science.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread. Keep up the charm offensive.

Knock it off with the disguised profanity or you will find your stay here to be quite brief. We are adults here, start acting like one.
Scroll down to "Adding multiple accounts for a music service"

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2757?language=en

A computer scientist should be capable of finding the support pages himself.

A 5 year old can Google "Add multiple music accounts to Sonos" and get an answer in the first link. :8