Answered

Sonos App says "upgrade" but then fails. Stuck in a loop.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a ton of Sonos equipment, built up over many years. I have always used my ipad as the controller, but now the Sonos app is stuck in a loop where it says it needs to be upgraded and then fails to upgrade.  So I cannot control my system at the moment. Do what do I do next?

icon

Best answer by Simon B 11 July 2020, 00:56

Hi @andrewlydon, Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. We appreciate you taking out to share your experience with us. Regarding this issue, We also refer to our team who develop and made the Sonos system Requirements for the controllers to work with the certain OS version, as Apple and Sonos cope up as well with updates for a better experience for updates and bug fixes on the App. You may check for more information about updating to a Sonos compatible version if your device supports it if there is an available update for your iPad.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

The Sonos Community is always here to help

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @andrewlydon, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern, I’ll be asking some questions to further check on this issue.

• What Sonos products are having issues with failed updates?
  • have you tried another controller to check if the update will push through?
  • Is there an error code when you click on more information on the error message?
  • Have you tried to do a power cycle on your connections and the Sonos products?

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to check valuable information on what could be causing the issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.   

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Simon,  the equipment I am having trouble with is this iPad, the one I am typing this message on now.  I use it as the controller for my Sonos speakers, of which I have about 12 around the house.  Yes, luckily, I also have an iPhione that is not stuck in a Sonos update loop, but I cannot realistically use the iPhone to control the system. My fingers are fat and my eyesight is not as good as it was.  II normally use my phone to make phone calls.  There is no error code, just a ‘update failed’ message.  Yes, I have tried a power cycle.  

UPDATE:

After I posted my original message, I deleted the controller app from my iPad.  So to answer your question accurately, I reinstalled the controller app just now. This time it started OK, but with a warning about running on an unsupported OS. Ok. well, that is fine for me.  I am fed up with the constant interruption and hassle from Sonos ‘upgrades’.   I just want to keep everything the same and have it work RELIABLY, like any piece of well-engineered equipment. Or is Sonos admitting their engineering isn't really that good and that the best they can manage is to offer a stream of little fixes for things they didn't foresee?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Simon, but I think Sonos really needs to hire some decent software engineers to restore their reputation as a provider of premier music systems. There is absolutely no reason that Sonos should make a fuss about the age of my iPad. The proof of that statement is that there are other companies that don't struggle with their controller software like Sonos does.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @andrewlydon, thanks for the update. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern, You may check on this link about Sonos System Requirements, So you can check the controller requirements and check also the OS version of your Ipad if it is supported by the Sonos app. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So who decides these things? Who does this music system belong to? Is it mine or Sonos’s? Did Sonos sell it to me or not? I have no intention of buying a new iPad because Apple and Sonos engineers lack the  skills to write decent software. I say that with some authority as a full stack programmer with 40 years experience.  If I was so inclined I could reverse engineer the Sonos protocols, write an Android or IOS app and put my own Linux firmware in each speaker.  But I have better things to do. The device I hold in my hand has more processing power than the computers that put man on the moon and yet Apple and Sonos have deemed it insuffient to control how music is played in my house. Where is your self respect, Sonos?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @andrewlydon, Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. We appreciate you taking out to share your experience with us. Regarding this issue, We also refer to our team who develop and made the Sonos system Requirements for the controllers to work with the certain OS version, as Apple and Sonos cope up as well with updates for a better experience for updates and bug fixes on the App. You may check for more information about updating to a Sonos compatible version if your device supports it if there is an available update for your iPad.

The Sonos Community is always here to help