Sonos app going downhill

• 9 August 2018
  • 8 replies

It's annoying enough to have nagware pop up 'DO YOU WANT TO UPGRADE' every time I pull up an app, then tell me I need to create an account.

No, I want to listen to my music, I don't want to upgrade. I also do not want to be forced to create an online account to get the functionality I've had for years with my Sonos Connects.

In addition to nagware, the recent app upgrades for my android devices leave the controller hanging often.

This am it took 4 app restarts across 2 devices(Galaxy S7, Galaxy Tab S2) to get a functioning sonos app, which after I hit play, subsequently froze.

Requests:

Turn off the nagware, 'click here for other options' how about you go back to just pulling up the controls?

No one started the app for the opportunity of upgrading things.

Think of this another way, how would you like your TV to pop up 'YOU NEED NEW FIRMWARE' every time you turned it on, then made you create an account at samsung/sony/whatnot before you could watch a program?

Better yet, how about your car refuses to work if it detects you are one mile past the recommended oil change mileage?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Pasko,

I'll pass along your feedback regarding the app and updates. If you'd like, you can disable automatic updates in the Sonos app's settings menu under system updates. Also, you can disable automatic updates in the app store. This should prevent the pop-ups from letting you know when there's an update available. I'd recommend checking manually on a regular basis when you have a minute or two free.
Hi Pasko,

I'll pass along your feedback regarding the app and updates. If you'd like, you can disable automatic updates in the Sonos app's settings menu under system updates. Also, you can disable automatic updates in the app store. This should prevent the pop-ups from letting you know when there's an update available. I'd recommend checking manually on a regular basis when you have a minute or two free.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the disable update tips.

At this point, I've updated to latest, bowed to the 'you need to create an account' crap, and I'm actually looking forward to the next waves of updates to hopefully get the app back to as stable as it had been for the past several years.

Getting the app to connect successfully seems to require restarting the Sonos app multiple times on either my Galaxy S7 phone or my Galaxy S2 tablet to get the Sonos app to do anything but hang.

Unfortunately, I'm accumulating more 'it froze' screenshots than good-music time these days.

Yes if I restart the app I can get it working in 3-5 minutes typically, but this is not premium product behavior.

For years I've advocated for Sonos with the notion 'yes, it's a bit pricey but it works sooooo.....well, it's totally worth it'

Can no longer recommend something that fails to work over half the time.

Hoping updates bring back working-stability.
The app is just a controller and is perfectly stable. These are network connection issues and I suggest you start by submitting a system diagnostic and posting the number back here..
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
It’s worth me mentioning here that there is a software problem at the moment that is causing me and other people problems with both the ios and Android apps.
It’s worth me mentioning here that there is a software problem at the moment that is causing me and other people problems with both the ios and Android apps.That is worth mentioning but @pasko's problems seem to be different in nature and not specific to latest system software.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Pasko,

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the disable update tips.

At this point, I've updated to latest, bowed to the 'you need to create an account' crap, and I'm actually looking forward to the next waves of updates to hopefully get the app back to as stable as it had been for the past several years.

Getting the app to connect successfully seems to require restarting the Sonos app multiple times on either my Galaxy S7 phone or my Galaxy S2 tablet to get the Sonos app to do anything but hang.

Unfortunately, I'm accumulating more 'it froze' screenshots than good-music time these days.

Yes if I restart the app I can get it working in 3-5 minutes typically, but this is not premium product behavior.

For years I've advocated for Sonos with the notion 'yes, it's a bit pricey but it works sooooo.....well, it's totally worth it'

Can no longer recommend something that fails to work over half the time.

Hoping updates bring back working-stability.

An email account has always been required in order to use music services or receive updates. It's possible to have set your system up with a fake email, or to have someone set you system up for you, using their own email. In recent updates we've added a password to the registration email so that it is more secure. If you used a fake email, that would make it hard to authenticate, so it may seem new.

At any rate, if you're having the app lock up, or take many attempts to start, it may be best to work with our phone team who can troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number here.
The app is just a controller and is perfectly stable. These are network connection issues and I suggest you start by submitting a system diagnostic and posting the number back here..

If the app freezes when I pull it up, and fails to control the Sonos application, is it stable? My network connections are rock solid in the house. I have a wireless router that can pretty much fry a chicken, and I can stream HD video to the farthest corners with no issues. This is the same home/network setup I've been using for a long time, and the app has gone from flawless to not working very well. Seems the best course of action is to book some time, and call Sonos.
I have had that reply numerous times numerous times and it always turns out to be networking or device related, not an app software fault. There are millions of Sonos users using the app without a problem. I hope you resolve your issues. Please post back to tell us what it was.