Answered

Sonos app doesn't find music on my samsung s20

I have music stored on an sd card on my s20 fe 5g phone.

A few of the artists/albums are shown in music on this device tab..but like10%..these are stored in the same way, on the sd card.

How do I get sonos s2 app to see all the rest?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 January 2021, 10:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Are you sure that the tracks you are seeing aren’t duplicated in the music folder in internal storage?

A couple of suggestions to perhaps explore:

• A .nomedia file is placed in a folder to tell your smartphone that it doesn’t need to include the contents of that folder in gallery apps, music apps and other media players. Sometimes, by default, a .nomedia file is included at the root level of the microSD card and this will stop any files on the microSD card being picked up by a music player app.

• Each smartphone looks for music files in different areas – for example, the Samsung Galaxy S7 will search for any music files by looking for a ‘Music’ folder in the root of both the internal storage or the external storage. If a music folder isn’t available, or it’s been put inside another folder, the music players on the Galaxy S7 will often not be able to find the music. Whilst some smartphones will search the entire external storage directory for music, not all will, so it’s best to follow these rules to ensure your music can be found.
  1. Rename the folder with all of your music files in ‘music’
  2. Move the music folder to the root directory of your microSD card. Make sure that as soon as you enter the external storage section on the file manager, the music folder can be seen. An example directory would be external/music.
  3. A directory that may not work would be external/myfiles/music. Once you’ve edited your music folder to follow the two rules above, restart your smartphone and your music should (hopefully) now appear.

Great post Ken, whether it helps in this particular case or not.  I just learned several new things.

Cheers John - I try to keep learning from you and the other folk here. Everyday is still a school day for me.

Not sure if the suggestions will work, but will continue to monitor this thread to see what the answer is.

Hi johnb, 

There files are only on the sd card..the phone is new, no chance of cross pollination 

Ken,

My files are in a music folder, however I'll check that there is not a root problem as you suggest. 

Thanks both.

It would be good if you could post back with any progress or (hopefully not) lack of it.

A further thought… which music app are you using on your phone?  If nothing else helps it might be worth installing Samsung Music and allowing it to index.(although probably not!)

Have you granted storage permission to Sonos?  (I suspect you must have or nothing would have shown up.)

Is there anything different about the tracks that were found, e’g’ file type?

Hi,

along the line of Ken’s suggestion I reformatted the SD card, I’m now re-syncing it via my new phone to the music database on my PC...Which will take some hours, hopefully that will sort my problem.. I used the SD card on my old phone, so I think that Samsung may not have liked the old names.

I’ll post when I have a result if successful or not.

The file types were all the same as far as I could see, I’ll try your suggestion about Samsung Music.. I used MediaMonkey app, could see everything OK on it.

Good idea to try to reformat the disk

Hi,

Final roundup, after reformatting the SD card and syncing from MediaMonkey it seems like I now have a full library in Sonos App. Took a long time, but got there in the end.

Thanks for your help…

Just on final stupid question… how do I get the Artist list into alphabetical order? it is random at the moment..

Thanks.

Good to hear that you have resolved it.  That's not a stupid question. My Artist list is alphabetical and I didn't think there was any way to change this. 

In the absence of amy better idea you might try the default option  - turn the phone off and on again. You might like to combine that with uninstalling the Sonos app and reinstalling, choosing to connect to existing system when prompted. 

Sounds sensible..I'll give it a try. 

Thanks