Answered

Sonos app confusion

• 12 September 2018
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
kiss is my goal but per the usual app gyrations, Sonos app is anything but simple, for me. As the Dao talks about, everyone else is sharp, I alone am dull and have no end of confusion using this system. How do I find my likes across several devices that I use to control my play1 and 5? I’m talking real basic here as playlists and likes are scatter across 3 iOS, 1 Android, and one iMac.
icon

Best answer by John B 12 September 2018, 18:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

OK one thing first. Sonos playlists and favourites are stored on the players. All the apps give you is a view of what is there. Those things cannot be scattered across controllers (except for tracks physically stored on the devices themselves). So that is a key principle to bear in mind.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sonos playlists and favourites are stored on the players. All the apps give you is a view of what is

Stored on one speaker, all, or?:?

:?:?
Or does the data get stored in each speaker?
does the data get stored in each speaker?They're mirrored to each and every player.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Mirrored?
Mirrored?Replicated, copied.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
So the data gets synced to each speaker simultaneously? And I could take one speaker to another wifi and setup my playlists and so on. Or would I need to start fresh with the new wifi connection?

Moving sonos to new wifi has proven difficult for me. I have done it but duplicating proves nothing short of slaying the dragon
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Yes, you can take an existing speaker from your current Sonos system, and add it to another LAN, by connecting the speaker with an ethernet cable to the router, and "connect to an existing system", and all of the data would be there.

However, if you were to take your speaker to another wifi and "add a speaker" or "create a new Sonos system", then your speaker's information would be erased, and it would be as if you had factory reset the speaker.

What do you mean by "proves nothing short of slaying the dragon"?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The dragon talk was a reference to my failure to setup the speaker at the new site. So if we bring a speaker to a friend's place and set it up on the new wifi, we will lose our saved data playlists and such? I did not know that.
The dragon talk was a reference to my failure to setup the speaker at the new site. So if we bring a speaker to a friend's place and set it up on the new wifi, we will lose our saved data playlists and such? I did not know that.You need to read again what Bruce said. You don't need to do any setup if you are using just the speaker you have brought and connect it by Ethernet. On the whole,, though, moving Sonos speakers around can get messy, and produce unintended consequences if you don't really know what you are doing.
I've slightly edited my post to replace the word "wifi" with LAN....since if you're connecting with an ethernet cable, you're not actually connecting to the wifi, but instead connecting to the LAN.

But I concur with John. You've misread my post.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes, I was reading again and saw my error right away. Double yes to the unintended consequences. Almost as tricky as setting up Google anything.