Question

Sonos android app using mobile data

• 20 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

Please can someone tell me why my Sonos app is using my 4g/ mobile data? Last month it used 1.12gb

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

The Sonos app does not use cellular data for streaming or communication between devices. Also, mobile data would be used only if a mobile device is providing the network (as a mobile hotspot) that Sonos is set up on.

The Sonos app *is* using mobile data. I noticed it said it was using data so I uninstalled it. You can see in the second image under "removed apps" it then continued to use data after reinstalling (50mb). And Sonos is not setup on a mobile hotspot!

Badge +3

“The Sonos app does not use cellular data for streaming or communication between devices. “

So, what DOES the Sonos app use cellular data for?  To bad it’s not like a PC, where you could monitor network activity to determine what IPs the data is going to, and then trace route it back to its source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It doesn’t use cellular data for anything, it uses your WiFi connection for everything.

What are you talking about? The screenshots above show that the sonos app was using my mobile data. Are you saying that the Android operating system is reporting it incorrectly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What are you talking about? The screenshots above show that the sonos app was using my mobile data. Are you saying that the Android operating system is reporting it incorrectly?

That seems to be the most likely scenario. To verify: pull out your SIM or turn off mobile data. You will see that Sonos still works just fine.

It may "work just fine" but it's obviously switching to mobile data at some point to do something!

All of the system runs on the speakers, the app on Android is merely a remote control to the app on the speakers. Unless you’re using your Android device as a hot spot that the speakers are connecting to, the only thing the app is doing is checking to see if there’s an updated app. 

As controlav, an app developer who has written several apps for use to connect to Sonos, suggests it is likely an incorrect report in the Android operating system. The app is not a music player, it is merely a method by which your device talks to the OS in the speakers, and tells them where to go to access the music. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@degsyh

All explanations are here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3092?language=en_US

Personnaly I disabled everything on my iPhone (location, microphone, mobile data...) except Background App Refresh and everything is working fine.

However Apple is not Android and they are pretty strict about an application can or cannot do.