Sonos Android app goes to sleep

Badge +1
how can I prevent Sonos app [only] on my android mobile from going to sleep?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Not an android user, so I’m not sure I’m all that much help, but why bother? The android is acting as a remote control for your Sonos, and doesn’t need to be ‘on’ while the Sonos is working.

The only situation I could potentially see is if you were streaming music ‘from this device’, in which case it’s not the app that should be keeping the android awake, but the settings in the operating system.

Let me know where I’m wrong, please, I’m anxious to learn more about the specifics of the android, and it may help others smarter than I figure out how to assist you.
Mine does the same. But on my iPad iPhone it does not. I though about it going to slee but I turned the standby off and it still stops streaming from the phone. Definitely an android problem
Badge
Mine does the same (disappears from notification tray or slow to open) with the recent update. Hopefully they can fix it sooner than later.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
which os is on your android phone, if it is the latest.
Go to setting, device maintenance, battery, scroll down to Unmonitored App, hit the add, and look for sonos. Select sonos, and hit done. Now the sonos app will not go to sleep.
Shoturtle - I'm on the Huawei P20 pro but do not see device maintenence. It is on the latest software. The option I found under battery was app launch, I have changed to manage manually. Is this what you are talking about? Really appreciate your time. Thank you
Badge +1
Thnx for your comments . . . .
To be clear the only reason for not want my android device to sleep when the Sonos screen is displayed is to view what music is playing, Spotify also has this annoying "feature" so no help there (as a premium integrated station). The stations from DI.FM (RadioTunes, RockRadio etc) can only be access through "Tunein URL's" but these apps (when played natively) do not go to sleep. I have an enforced unlock requirement when my phone sleeps, so its quite annoying (business phone!). "This is a good track - I wonder who it is?" type thought turns into a long winded process, especially if your hands are full/dirty etc. . . . .
For the other post - unfortunately (company phone) its a MotoG 3rd Gen - 6.0.1 Android and it does not appear to have the option mentioned.
I have tried various "apps" to stop the phone sleeping for certain apps (Tasker for example) but this does not seem to work
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Not familiar with Huawei. But it sounds like you are not on Nougat. Hit the 3 dots on the upper right in Battery. Is there a battery optimization in the drop down. If yes hit that. There should be apps that is in the not optimized drop down. Go to all apps, look for sonos. click sonos, and set it to not optimized. That will allow sonos to not go to sleep
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Thnx for your comments . . . .
To be clear the only reason for not want my android device to sleep when the Sonos screen is displayed is to view what music is playing, Spotify also has this annoying "feature" so no help there (as a premium integrated station). The stations from DI.FM (RadioTunes, RockRadio etc) can only be access through "Tunein URL's" but these apps (when played natively) do not go to sleep. I have an enforced unlock requirement when my phone sleeps, so its quite annoying (business phone!). "This is a good track - I wonder who it is?" type thought turns into a long winded process, especially if your hands are full/dirty etc. . . . .
For the other post - unfortunately (company phone) its a MotoG 3rd Gen - 6.0.1 Android and it does not appear to have the option mentioned.
I have tried various "apps" to stop the phone sleeping for certain apps (Tasker for example) but this does not seem to work

Look in the battery section, you can set any app not to be optimized. It is a core android ability. The different brands just put them in different section under different names.
Badge +1
Thnx, I thought you ere onto something there! however I found the "Battery optimisation" option, now Sonos & Spotify are "not optimised" - Sonos still goes to sleep and screen locks 😞
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The screen should lock, but the app is still running in the background. There is no way to keep the screen form going off, the best you can do is set it to stay on for 30min. It does that to protect the screen. And preserve battery.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
the only way you can set up a 4 hour before lock, is if your phone has smart lock feature. and add your home to trusted places. But you need to have gps on. It will not lock the phone for 4 hours if it knows you are at a trusted place.
Badge +1
OK - thnx for the advice anyway, you remember I said . . . .
"The stations from DI.FM (RadioTunes, RockRadio etc) can only be access through "Tunein URL's" but these apps (when played natively) do not go to sleep. I have an enforced unlock requirement when my phone sleeps, so its quite annoying"
So I know it can be done! - Sonos just need to add the feature within the app . . . .
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
OK - thnx for the advice anyway, you remember I said . . . .
"The stations from DI.FM (RadioTunes, RockRadio etc) can only be access through "Tunein URL's" but these apps (when played natively) do not go to sleep. I have an enforced unlock requirement when my phone sleeps, so its quite annoying"
So I know it can be done! - Sonos just need to add the feature within the app . . . .

The reason it does not lock on your phone, when playing natively is the phone knows it is using that app. On sonos, the phone only controls the sonos function of start, pause, and music selection. Once that is pick, all the streaming goes through sonos. So the phone thinks the tune in app is no longer in uses. I would also disable monitoring or optimize on the tune in app as well.

But the sonos app goes to sleep on the phone unless you change the settings.
Try installing WMA player app on huawei, it helped for my case.