Question

Sonos and Alexa/Echo... who is as excited as I am? Anyone else want to be in the public beta?

• 2 September 2016
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
For what it's worth, I have 6 Sonos zones (2xZP80, 2xZP100, 2xPLAY:3), and 2 Echo's (both of which happen to be right next to my kitchen and MBR Sonos PLAY:3's). I adore both products and have been dreaming of this announcements. I almost held off on purchasing the last 2 PLAY:3's because I was loving Alexa so much, and now I'm glad I didn't. The combination will be great.

Now all i want is to be able to be on the private beta 🙂 I've been a Sonos heavy user since 2006, and I've been an Alexa heavy user for a little over a year. They play slightly different roles in my life today... I do find myself asking Alexa to shuffle music, which is annoying, since it doesn't know about my local Sonos library and playlists. I ask Alexa to play the news and podcasts, which is great, but it doesn't play throughout the house - which is annoying. They just should play together. And now they're going to. Peanut butter and jelly. Chocolate and peanut butter. Sonny & Cher. Good stuff.

So Sonos... I know you really mean it's a private beta, but I live in Boston not far from your office, I'm a longstanding booster (see my old forum profile under john_ops), and I really want in. I get it, you're not going to reach out to me publically, but if you want to reach out to me privately... I'll be at home, listening to "Shuffle Jazz" - either on my Alexa, or on my 6 zone Sonos, but right now not on both! I'm a great beta tester...

John

PS... anyone else?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
It's great news. However, considering the length of time we have been waiting to get Audible back, I suggest patience might be in order.
Badge
It is going to be interesting to see what is delivered. I would be very interested in the Beta - but I have many many questions (that reflect my vision for how this would work)

1. I have 1 Amazon Echo - and 1 Amazon Dot. What I would like to see is an option that when I speak to the Dot - that the response is played over my Sonos's speakers. For example in my bedroom I would want the Dot and a Play 5 - I don't want the Dot itself responding to me - I would want the sound thru the Play 5

This way, I can have a loud alarm (louder than what the Echo could give )

2. Room by room control - Lets say I had 5 Amazon Dot's throughout the house. Same idea as above - I would want to align a specific Dot for Alexa Sound responses

3. I like what I saw in the Demo Video - Hopefully the ability to select Radio Stations as well as Songs/Playlists is included as well
Can't wait! Would love to get the beta please!
Yes - Let me play XM radio on the Sonos players without a problem.
Userlevel 2
@captainkaboom : for info, number 1 on your list already works with at least the Dot (when using line in on a 5).

2 and 3 : - agree but perhaps something even better is planned.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
YES YES YES - this is the ONE thing that has stopped me expanding my Sonos system for the past year. I've been a user since 2008 and decided last year that I would buy no more Sonos until I could use voice control. Looks like I can get planning my updates 🙂 Very excited and would love to be part of the beta.
Badge
With 3 weeks left in the year, a bit disappointed we haven't heard/seen anything specific to the Beta yet.
Badge
@Benja - I don't have a 5 (YET)

Better said - and to borrow from George Costanza's Father from the Festivus episode - I find wires distracting ..
With 3 weeks left in the year, a bit disappointed we haven't heard/seen anything specific to the Beta yet.

As stated in the press release, the end of 2016 beta is a private beta, thus it falls under an NDA. If it exists, nobody can talk about it anyway. Hence the title "private beta". You will not hear anything until the public beta (assuming there is one) is announced.
Badge
Curious if there is an opt-in for beta or do they just pick randomly?
Curious if there is an opt-in for beta or do they just pick randomly?

Private beta is by invite. Public beta is opt-in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I assume logically if they want to test say spotify, they would ask all beta testers if they use spotify, with what controllers etc.
So logically if you own an echo you are first in the list for testing it.
Looking to be added to the Beta for Amazon Echo integration as well. Have a Play:5, 2xPlay:1, 2xPlay:3, Playbar, Play Sub. I have 3 echo's and 1 dot in my house. When is the public release and if we are still weeks out, anyway to get into the Beta?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don't know how they are selected maybe ask a moderator directly
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We don't even know if there is a beta with Echo support even out there yet.
Badge +4
For what it's worth, I have 6 Sonos zones (2xZP80, 2xZP100, 2xPLAY:3), and 2 Echo's (both of which happen to be right next to my kitchen and MBR Sonos PLAY:3's). I adore both products and have been dreaming of this announcements. I almost held off on purchasing the last 2 PLAY:3's because I was loving Alexa so much, and now I'm glad I didn't. The combination will be great.

Now all i want is to be able to be on the private beta 🙂 I've been a Sonos heavy user since 2006, and I've been an Alexa heavy user for a little over a year. They play slightly different roles in my life today... I do find myself asking Alexa to shuffle music, which is annoying, since it doesn't know about my local Sonos library and playlists. I ask Alexa to play the news and podcasts, which is great, but it doesn't play throughout the house - which is annoying. They just should play together. And now they're going to. Peanut butter and jelly. Chocolate and peanut butter. Sonny & Cher. Good stuff.

So Sonos... I know you really mean it's a private beta, but I live in Boston not far from your office, I'm a longstanding booster (see my old forum profile under john_ops), and I really want in. I get it, you're not going to reach out to me publically, but if you want to reach out to me privately... I'll be at home, listening to "Shuffle Jazz" - either on my Alexa, or on my 6 zone Sonos, but right now not on both! I'm a great beta tester...

John

PS... anyone else?
Badge +4
I'm with you!! SONOS since 2008 - ZP90, ZP100, ZP120, Play1, Play3, Play5, (several CC100's) and 2016: Echo, Tap & Dot... dying to get these to work together without resorting to existing hacks.
I want to be in this Beta!! I'm a big echo fan and bought my sonos speaker because sonos said it would be working with echo. I think it could be a super combo and want to use it sooooo Much.
Userlevel 4
I have both but I'm not excited because I think they will stuff it up by just making the Echo a controller device, and not a participant in the local Sonos mesh as also:
a) a music source, or
b) a Sonos speaker.

Both would require Sonos's proprietary software to be actually onboard with the Echo.

Part (a) would then be a no-brainer, even from a commercial perspective, and the user experience would be awesome. I have tried hooking an Echo Dot to a Sonos Connect, it works but I would never deploy it for normal humans to use.

Part (b) would however directly cannibalise sales of the Play:1 or the Connect. I would be prepared to pay a license fee for an activation key that made the Echo into a Sonos speaker. But I don't expect this to happen, the product segmentation marketing people would fear it, the IP lawyers would have a hissy fit about loss of control, the support team would be irked by having to learn and support Amazon's device, and the engineers would, I'm sure, much rather build their own speakers.

Judging by Sonos's job ads they are focused on building their next generation as cloud-controlled IoT devices, which suggests the Echo will be a controller not a music source. File under "meh" along with the similarly uninspiring Spotify integration.
Can i throw my hat into the ring to be a beta tester please? Have a play3,play5 and a playbar.
I stream from Spotify and i'm just about to take delivery of two Amazon dots and a play1.
I would love to be invited to the private beta, please!!! I have a Sonos Playbar, Sub, Play:1, and Play:3. I have two echo dots. I've been waiting for this integration since it was announced. Because of Sonos' commitment, I've bought additional Dots and Sonos speakers. Please?!