SONOS and AirPlay2 Capability

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I understand we will soon be able to use AirPlay2 to stream audio from a variety of iOS devices to the newer generation SONOS speakers, such as the SONOS 5, Playbar and SONOS One. If I'm correct, this will include the ability to stream the audio to those SONOS speakers from videos being viewed on these iOS devices. My question is whether you will also be able to simultaneously cast that video to an AirPlay2 enabled monitor with it being in sync with the audio. I know it would be a stretch, but if you could cast the video via some other device like ChromeCast and simultaneously use AirPlay to send the audio in sync to SONOS speakers, I would then say you are GODS! I guess I can pray it will become so! 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Nobody knows yet. We will have to wait until the implementation is final.

Also, only the Playbase is Airplay 2 compatible. The Playbar is not.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for that clarification
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If google assistant misses out PLAY1 because it doesn't have enough processing power, after waiting probably a year, I will despair.
Badge
Google assistant won't come to Play:1 for two reasons: processing power, and the fact theres no microphones in the Play:1
However, I would assume that it will likely work in the same manner as the Amazon integration does, i.e. if you have a speaker that does have a microphone, you can use that to control your whole system. I suppose the real question will be if there's a "skill" that will allow you to use a google device that has a microphone to control your Sonos. I would assume yes, since that's the way it worked with Amazon.

It would be hard to imagine a different implementation.
Google assistant won't come to Play:1 for two reasons: processing power, and the fact theres no microphones in the Play:1

Then why can I control my Play:1 using an Echo? When Google Assistant comes, the Play:1 will be supported via a Home or a Home Mini, just like Alexa can control is via an Echo or Echo Dot.
If google assistant misses out PLAY1 because it doesn't have enough processing power, after waiting probably a year, I will despair.

Voice control is pretty much 99% in the Cloud. If Alexa can do it on all Sonos devices, so can Google Assistant.

But that probably won't stop you from spreading rumors that it can't.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Actually play 1 can be controlled by Google assitance through the yonomi app already. So it will work with Google assistant when it get that ability. I just can't see that being left out when there is a way to do it already.
Badge
Extrinsic support may work, but intrinsic support, the same as Alexa on the One, will probably require the newer hardware and microphones in the One, the same as Alexa
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You do know how Google assistant works right. You know ever command you give it. Goes to the Google server. These servers are where the skills are really kept. Since the Sonos Android app works. Google home will work as well the same way.
Badge
You do know how Google assistant works right. You know ever command you give it. Goes to the Google server. These servers are where the skills are really kept. Since the Sonos Android app works. Google home will work as well the same way.
And how do you suppose you get a voice command to that server from a sonos without a microphone? I understand the premise behind the extrinsic support from a phone/google Home/etc. But “baked-in” support on the sonos Play:1 won’t happen, there’s no mic
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Same way Alexa does it. You get a Google home mini or your smartphone. And that is you gatway to the play1 from the server. Voice command will work. You just use the mic from a Google home mini or phone. And you can tell the play 1 to play music. And if Sonos did their do diligence with the Google skill. You can have it stream spotify Amazon music and play music from you library. Okay Google play blah blah and it will play it. It does matter it is not internal. In all inherited purpose you added the mic to the play one with the intergration into Google home.

None of the smart home stuff out there had mics. Hue, tradffi, nest or what have you. But all of them can be voice controlled. And at the end of the day that is all people really care about. Even the one will do the same with Google assistance. The google server will tell the one what to play.
Badge
Yeah, external control should work, I’ve said that. All I’ve stated is the use of Google Assistant on the Play:1 with no additional device required, same as with Alexa on the One, won’t happen
Yeah, external control should work, I’ve said that. All I’ve stated is the use of Google Assistant on the Play:1 with no additional device required, same as with Alexa on the One, won’t happen

Who said it would? :?
My question is whether you will also be able to simultaneously cast that video to an AirPlay2 enabled monitor with it being in sync with the audio.

You can do this today with plain old AirPlay. Just send to AppleTV, HDMI out to your TV, TV’s optical out to Playbar. 100% in sync. AirPlay 2 will make it more reliable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm at a loss as to how people demand Airplay2 on older Sonos units. Your asking for an upgrade to devices produced well before the thought of Airplay2 even existed (and for that matter some before the existence of original airplay).

Sonos has given the ability to all the devices that are possible to get to run it (memory and processor considerations). There is not great debate over this. And we are lucky that Sonos continues to give us Free upgrades to support modern technology as it evolves. Having to buy a $199 Sonos One to give your whole system the ability to run Airplay2 is a reasonable need to get new tech added to old. I have seen some people say Sonos should have made some kind of hub just to support airplay/airplay 2 in the past. Heck the hub would cost $199 - so get yourself the free speaker included with it.

I find the demands hard to believe!!! Actually fairly ludicrous. Especially those claiming Sonos greed? Greed? its a free update!!! Oh I paid $2000 for this I deserve it .... really .... so you paid $2000 for an Airplay2 system ------ NO you didn't. I paid $90,000 for my Audi why the heck aren't they giving me a free Airplay2 - the nerve of them!

I have sympathy for the complainers on this board (like the CR100 guys) who complain "I bought Sonos for this functionality and your taking that away". Completely valid complaint/argument! You paid for something - its functionality shouldn't be diminished or compromised. But to claim that I deserve a free update to a new functionality that not only was not marketed to you when you purchased it ..... but DIDN'T EVEN EXIST.... it is ludicrous! And guess what ... Sonos is actually giving it to us for FREE as much as they are capable of doing. You just want to slam your head into the wall and give up on people!

I'm off to go badger Bose as to why my Bluetooth Soundlink isn't getting Airplay2 support .... unbelievable what people think they are entitled too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
P.S. And for those that want to claim without any technical knowledge or basis in fact that "Sonos could do it on the older models if they wanted to".

Just answer me one question "Why did they make the ability available to the Playbase and not the Playbar"

Any sane answer????

"Because Sonos wants me to update to a Playbase" - really why do they care if you buy a Playbar or Playbase. Seems to me if they were interested in selling Playbars (which they are) they would have added that ability if at all possible. Why would they purposefully favor the Playbase. They wouldn't.

It is absolute proof they can not have it run on older processors/memory configurations. Period. End of discussion.

Anyone care to answer the questions?
Chris's comments I completely agree with, but if all you need to add is a Sonos One to give all older hardware AirPlay2 availability I am all in! That is actually why I bought the Sonos One this past weekend. I have 7 Connect:AMPs to power my 7 rooms in my apartment where I had in ceiling speakers. If this one purchase of a Sonos One that exists in only one room could allow me to power via AirPlay to all 7 rooms I am a happy camper and $199 was totally worth it. Since I can't get the Sonos One device to be seen via AirPlay 2 yet I can't prove out the ability to bring all my rooms in view. I will report back once Sonos One starts working on AirPlay.