Answered

Sonos Amp and Pro-Ject IR remote

• 15 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Amp and a Pro-Ject CD Box connected to line in. Is it possible to pair the Pro-Ject remote control (pictured below) with the Sonos Amp to control volume? If yes, how?

I also have a TV connected via HDMI ARC, and the only thing I manage to do is to pair the TV remote (Samsung) to control the Sonos Amp via IR, in addition to ARC, which is an almost decent workaround to control volume when listening to line in, without having to turn the TV on, but it would be really smooth to be able to do that with the Pro-Ject remote instead.

When I try to pair it now, the Sonos app just says it does not detect any IR signal. (And yes, the battery is OK, and the remote is fully functional).

icon

Best answer by buzz 15 February 2021, 20:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Test the Pro-Ject remote for IR output. Some digital cameras will respond to IR. Another way to test is to completely obscure the Pro-Ject remote and attempt to operate the Pro-Ject.

It is an IR remote, and it works with the CD player. I just thought it would be smooth to be able to use it for volume control on the Sonos Amp. The reason the remote has volume control buttons is that it is supposed to work with Pro-Ject amplifiers as well.

I do have a TV connected to the HDMI port, so I use the TV remote to control the volume when watching TV. Then I also set it up for IR control of the Sonos Amp, to be able to control volume when I listen to other sources.

Strange that Sonos Amp can learn TV IR remotes, but not an amplifier IR remote. There shouldn’t be any difference in the actual IR signal (except that it is a different signal of course :)

I’m not familiar with the Pro-Ject IR format. Typically, formats are similar enough that a broad range of equipment can interchangeably deal with codes, but there are some outliers. Note that AMP can only deal with one set of IR codes. One thing to try would be to set the TV remote to issue Pro-Ject Volume control codes, if this is possible, then train AMP to use Pro-Ject IR. As a generality, Asian built units usually use similar NEC formats. Euro manufacturers might use RC5 formats. Some controllers can use both, some not. However, NEC and RC5 are not the entire universe of possible formats.

Interesting idea. I might try that. Thanks.

By the way. You mentioned that the Amp can only have 1 IR remote paired. But can it have one ARC remote, and one IR remote (so to speak)? Two different ones in total?

I worded that poorly. What I meant is that only one set of IR codes can be defined, but you could have dozens of hand held remotes using that same set of IR codes.

A common annoyance is that the TV’s native remote will use TV Volume codes by default and these Volume codes will often result in unwanted TV screen pop-ups. The workaround is to claim that the TV remote is controlling a fictional (not present) home theater receiver, then train the SONOS unit for these codes.