Sonos alarm/clock - display the time

• 8 November 2012
  • 66 replies

It would be great if SONOS made a sonos 2 clock radio with a digital screen showing the time and all the normal features. A smaller bedroom version of the sonos where if you wake up at 5am and wanna know the time you can just look yet also have all the great features that sonos otherwise brings. Got to be a good seller and far cheaper than buying the controller to just keep in the dock showing the time!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Hi,
I looked into a way to install a play:3 as an alarm clock.
I got stuck at some points and wondered if you could consider making an alarm clock player.
Here are the features I lacked:
- It should have a nice clock, with a controllable light density.
- It should be possible to set of a scheduled alarm.
- you should be able to see the next alarm time on the screen.
- It would be nice if the sound could fade in (adjustable).
- Link a playing list or radio station to the alarm feature.

Thanks for listening,
and keep up the good work!
A big Sonos fan from Belgium.
Tom This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled alarm clock player.
Is this under consideration... or has it fallen off the end of the list?
Absolutely! It doesn't have to be fancy or conflict with your minimalist design paradigm. It just needs to be a solid alarm clock: a clock I can read while I'm half asleep, a snooze button I can use while I'm half awake, and some form of battery-powered backup so I'm not late for work when the power goes out. The "off button" can be in software-- if I'm getting up I won't mind that, and would probably be checking email, anyway.
This really seems like a no brainier. I'd love, no LOVE, to be able to replace the old alarm clock radio on my bedside and in my bathroom with a sonos "clock" component!!!
Userlevel 1
Same here, will buy 2. Thw wife and me, when playing group and have stereo 🙂
+1. Not a Sonos customer yet, still glued to my Squeezebox. I've been wanting a reason to switch, but I just can't do without a physical clock. I want to actually know when I'm late, no finding my cell phone, no walking, a place I know where I can find the current time. I get this plus the internet radio features with my Squeezebox. I've been wanting to try Sonos, but I just can't replace my Squeezebox with no clock.
I bought a Play:3 to use bedside and planned to used the alarm feature to replace my old alarm clock. However, the lack of snooze feature and clock display made me relocate the Play:3 elsewhere in the house and bring back my alarm clock. I would LOVE to have a Play:clock 🙂 or something like this. Would probably buy a couple of them, two for me and my wife, and another 2 for my kids. I could see an modified Play:3 or even the upcoming Play:1 (I saw that FCC label!!) Please sonos, make it happen!
Absolutely! It doesn't have to be fancy or conflict with your minimalist design paradigm. It just needs to be a solid alarm clock: a clock I can read while I'm half asleep, a snooze button I can use while I'm half awake, and some form of battery-powered backup so I'm not late for work when the power goes out. The "off button" can be in software-- if I'm getting up I won't mind that, and would probably be checking email, anyway.
Agree. Would be nice and does not to be made complex. Simply need a snooze bar/button on top of the standard buttons and, of course, a nice display that show the actual time and if an alarm is active.
Expanding, a little. In software, the alarm could be made to start at a low volume playing from just the clock unit. Slowly, it could then start playing from other units in the same room and increase in volume. A very gentle wake-up. Or just blast the entire house at full volume. Reveille!
I'll $$$$$$$$$$$$ BUY (at least) ONE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Yes, it should have 2 alarms, too, like the Bose Wave radio. And here are more ideas for you: . configurable as a stereo pair (think his & hers units) . configurable as video surround speakers for our bedroom TV. . battery back-up feature (power does go out here overnight from time-to-time) C'mon Gordon, you can do this!! Bring 'our' ideas to the planning meeting. We're counting on YOU!!! Thanks 😉
Put me down for at least 3!
Sonos 1: almost there - but where's the clock?
Userlevel 1
I had the same feeling, nice size but no clock... for me a very simple 7 segment display would do (preferably red). NO LCD, as I had this on a streaming device (Tangent Quattro MK II) and with the backlight level set to 1 still way to much light but not able to read it, with backlight set to 3 good to read, but also able to read a book. Good replacement for the Play 3 I currently have on my bedside table it is a bit big. 2 of these will do really nice.
...and to keep the thread alive:

I also had the idea of a smart clock for the bedroom and luckily found this idea already listed :\

Here are some ideas from my side:

• Definitely needs a battery backup in case of power loss
  • Smart (preferably light white) LED display with adjustable brightness, LCD with backlight sucks, as mentioned above)
  • Doesn't need to be as big as the Play:1/3, but same form factor would be nice, too
  • Doesn't need to be as powerful as the Play:1/3, I wannabe waked up, not scared  - thus a slow increase of the volume would be nice (already listed in one of the above comments)
I guess, that's it. When can I beta test the new alarm clock or place my order?

Dear Sonos team, we appreciate your announcement of the new hardware! 
Userlevel 1

...and to keep the thread alive:

I also had the idea of a smart clock for the bedroom and luckily found this idea already listed :\

Here are some ideas from my side:

• Definitely needs a battery backup in case of power loss
  • Smart (preferably light white) LED display with adjustable brightness, LCD with backlight sucks, as mentioned above)
  • Doesn't need to be as big as the Play:1/3, but same form factor would be nice, too
  • Doesn't need to be as powerful as the Play:1/3, I wannabe waked up, not scared  - thus a slow increase of the volume would be nice (already listed in one of the above comments)
I guess, that's it. When can I beta test the new alarm clock or place my order?

Dear Sonos team, we appreciate your announcement of the new hardware! 

I'd buy one. And if you added a decent tuner, and perhaps a CD player, it becomes a line in for the rest of the sonos components around the house.
I also would love the alarm clock product and would buy one immediately. Please Sonos consider bringing this out soon.
My daughter wants one for her birthday!
Me, too!!! :)
Start simple: clock with dimmable light, snooze/alarm-off button, backup-battery, configuration via Sonos app.
Then expand with volume control, integrated radio, configurable for TV surround ...
Matthias
Me too. I would buy it.
I would so buy that as well.
Yes Please!!!! I would buy a couple as well!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'd buy one for each bedroom.  If you could throw in a small RF (longer range, can send commands to legacy sonos devices), hard buttoned, no screen remote as well with the following functions.
  • 8 presets - can assigned via the app to favourites
  • 4 zones - can switch which zone the remote can be used for (incl the legacy devices)
  • basic track navigation
  • volume
...that would be the cherry on the cake.
Come on Sonos after my original suggestion so many requests surely you can sort it out for us and send me one to test 🙂
An alarm clock is the missing link.