Sonos account now required just to add a speaker?!

• 16 December 2017
  • 55 replies

Why am I now being forced to create and link a Sonos account to the controller just to be able to add speakers to the system? There is absolutely no reason why this needs to happen.

Poor form Sonos. This should be an optional step. As such, I will no longer be buying any more devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Sonos' privacy policy states very clearly that they do not, nor will they ever, sell your data. Then they specifically state what they collect, how it is used, and how to opt out of all but the data used to keep your system running and/or support it in the case of a failure.

The policy is binding, and is under the jurisdiction of the FTC, who can (and have) prosecute(d) companies for violating their own privacy policies.

See these links:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

https://blog.sonos.com/en/sonos-privacy/
I see the point re not having access to the interweb, might be worth asking Sonos for a new feature about this, you can still operate a wifi router or sonosnet without connection to the outside world. I'd call it local mode or offline mode.

re the posts around policy. FTC has no jurisdiction where I live, data breaches appear in the press all the time (these are the big ones of public interest but there are many many more - 12 years working at Symantec I know - its not something any CEO willingly communicates) All i'm saying is be aware of how these emerging system work and don't play into their hands. look here is a actual example. Google will tell you, if location svs is enabled, how long your commute to work is, even if you don't tell it where you work it knows. it also knows how often and for how long your phone and another phone of group of phones become co-located. say its at 10am every Tuesday at your work address (using location Svs) google knows who your work colleagues are and trust me this is the data that is bought and sold every day. Its rife and unregulated. anyhow slightly off topic so sorry for that 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
re the posts around policy. FTC has no jurisdiction where I live,

No but they DO have jurisdiction where the data is stored and where you live will also have data regulations which may, or may not, be more onerous than those in the US
Fairpoint Stuart_W FTC is there to protect US citizens and yes they can include international investigations if, as you say, the citizen's protected data is located outside US boundaries.e.g. india or south america. I think my point is names, emails, addresses, phone numbers are all covered by data privacy laws to some degree. BUT lat and long (home address) , email details and header (sos used, body content IS scanned, buying patterns, demographic, associations, work history are all the same AND just as easily identifiable as you phone number or name. Biggest scam of the 21 century. Just be wise, do some googling get informed is my message to everyone 🙂