Sonos 9.0 app update has broken various features

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I'd already been getting sick of the numerous updates to the controller app, but 8.6 did at least seem to have fixed a couple of things that were going wrong in 8.5. But the latest controller (android) update has been a farce and seemed to have broken various things that were working absolutely fine.
- "Show Lock Screen Controls" - doesn't work
- "Allow Volume Control on Home Screen" - doesn't work
- starting the Sonos controller when something is already playing - it says no music is playing/ selected.
I have of course uninstalled, reinstalled, reset it, and frankly am well and truly sick of the amount of dicking about required for what used to be so simple.
(edit): about 5 minutes after posting this I reset the controller again, and finally - 2 days(?) after installing - it's working as it should.

I have absolutely zero interest in Siri, Alexa or Dave the talking chimp. Please stop fannying around with the controller and just let us use our (quite expensive) speakers! If you must, fork the controller software so there's the "all the latest tech, but 40% of it doesn't work properly" version and the "no voice control, just does what it's supposed to, all the time" version for the rest of us.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't care about all the fluffy features they're touting. I just want the app to work like it used to!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It won't fix the features problem but the glitches can often be avoided by setting static/reserved addresses for your Sonos gear in your router's DHCP page.

You can also turn off the check for updates function to avoid getting nagged, you still should update once in a while but on your schedule and you can pick a time Sonos support isn't busy too.
Badge +1
I'd already been getting sick of the numerous updates to the controller app, but 8.6 did at least seem to have fixed a couple of things that were going wrong in 8.5. But the latest controller (android) update has been a farce and seemed to have broken various things that were working absolutely fine.
- "Show Lock Screen Controls" - doesn't work
- "Allow Volume Control on Home Screen" - doesn't work
- starting the Sonos controller when something is already playing - it says no music is playing/ selected.
I have of course uninstalled, reinstalled, reset it, and frankly am well and truly sick of the amount of dicking about required for what used to be so simple.
(edit): about 5 minutes after posting this I reset the controller again, and finally - 2 days(?) after installing - it's working as it should.

I have absolutely zero interest in Siri, Alexa or Dave the talking chimp. Please stop fannying around with the controller and just let us use our (quite expensive) speakers! If you must, fork the controller software so there's the "all the latest tech, but 40% of it doesn't work properly" version and the "no voice control, just does what it's supposed to, all the time" version for the rest of us.
My Sonos controller worked fine on Windows 10 until the latest update. Recurring problems since the update (none of which were present prior to the update):
1. Most Windows apps "remember" their window size when closed and maintain that size when reopened. No more. I maximize the controller window when using it, but each time I reopen the controller, it's a small window that must be resized. Clearly not fatal, but annoying.
2. Frequent sound drop-offs and transient "can't connect to Music Library" issues that did not exist before. Nothing in the home networking system has changed.
3. Occasional "aborted" start-ups. Open the Controller, it blinks for a moment, and then closes of its own accord. Open it again, and it works.

I'm of the opinion we need a maintenance release.
1) Sonos has indicated that they're working on this. I would expect the next release to resolve that, but can't promise that.

2) Might be wifi interference, or even a duplicate IP address issue caused by your router. Try unplugging all your Sonos speakers, then rebooting your router, and plugging the speakers back in, one at a time. This issue can be caused by the soft reboot of the speaker when the software is updated. If your router has lost track of what IP addresses it has handed out, it can give your speakers duplicates.

3) Could be an indicator of the wifi interference or duplicate IP address issue I addressed in 2).
It's not WiFi interference; it's not not a duplicate IP issue, either (I have checked carefully). That the issues should begin immediately after "upgrade" to the latest controller release is very telling. And given the current Neanderthal process to re-configure the Sonos system (unplug, plug, direct connect, establish connection, unplug, plug back in as wireless, reset speakers, etc.), it's not something I relish in any case. The coincidence is too great - worked before the upgrade, doesn't work after the upgrade. To a simple mind like mine, post hoc ergo propter hoc. 😃
I'm afraid post ergo propter hoc does not apply when the reboot process required for the update tends to expose network problems such as duplicate iP addresses. Easy to fix, but hey, you know it isn't a network problem. So good luck finding out what it is. Us folks who have diagnosed thousands of systems over the years will just go help someone else who is willing to give up preconceived notions.
As I said, and will repeat, it is NOT duplicate IP addresses, because I have checked that carefully. But thanks for all your useful help. I am sure you have done an excellent job on thousands of systems that allows you to comment on a system you have never seen.
As I said, and will repeat, it is NOT duplicate IP addresses, because I have checked that carefully. But thanks for all your useful help. I am sure you have done an excellent job on thousands of systems that allows you to comment on a system you have never seen.

You cannot "check" for duplicate IP addresses. By their very definition, the active, assigned one will mask the duplicate.

Do me a favor. Humor me. Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
No thanks. Static IP addresses are assigned. Nothing - NOTHING - has changed except the update of the controller.

Every tech board has at least one self-important blowhard who feels the need to tout his/her "resume" and address snarky comments to newcomers. I'm glad I found one this early in the game. Is there a "block" or "ignore" function for individual posters? Please use it on me, because further responses are not forthcoming.
So now you resort to name calling? I was simply trying to help you, and by the way, the snark started with you. But have no worries, I'll most certainly not comment again. Good luck getting your system running.