Answered

Sonos 2 Won't Update Music Contained on Galaxy S21 Phone

• 22 February 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge

Title pretty well sums up the problem. I’ve been playing music through the JDT Rocket Player on a Galaxy S21. I’ve done some substantial updating of my library played via Rocket. None of these updates are showing up when I select to play music from my local device.

I tried rolling back to previous version of the Sonos app as recommended on a previous string addressing this problem. Chrome is preventing me from installing the download.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Dan Taylor 

icon

Best answer by John B 24 February 2021, 09:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Badge +17

Hi @nextleveldan, welcome to the Sonos community.

I’m unfamiliar with the Rocket Music player app, but it appears to be a media player with some extra features built in. 

What sort of updates have you done to your library that aren’t showing in Sonos? It seems like this app is able to edit metadata on tracks - are these the changes that aren’t reflecting in Sonos?

If so, I would make sure that the metatags have updated on the files themselves, instead of just changing how they display inside Rocket. 

If it’s something else, please let us know.

It may also be useful to know where the files are stored on the phone - internal memory or SD card?  Are they held in a folder called ‘music’ in the root of whichever storage location is being used?

Is there any possibility you have two libraries, one of which you are editing, and the other is where Sonos is looking?  (e.g. one on internal, other on SD card?)

If you delete a track in Rocket Player and then attempt to play it on Sonos (assuming it still appears on Sonos), what happens?

Badge

James, I am using my iTunes for Windows app as a master source. I update and add files in iTunes. Then, I sync with an app called iSyncr which is an app from JRT Studios, like the Rocket Player I am using. iSyncr is used to sync iTunes libraries with Android devices.  Rocket Player is integrated with iSyncr. I don’t know how to check to see if the metadata is being updated. Any suggestions?

To John, my Galaxy S21 has no SD card, not a slot to install one. My questions, how to determine where the music files are located on the phone?

Thanks for both for your suggestions. Standing by.

Does your updates include new music files, updated meta data, or both?  If you disconnect your phone from WiFi, are you seeing the updated music, either type, in the Rocket player?  If you look at the setting for Rocket player, does it allow you to see the folder where music files are stored?

@nextleveldan . In light of your latest post, my main piece of advice would be to set up a Sonos Music Library pointing to your music stored on the PC and just use your phone as a controller to play it. I abandoned playing music stored on the phone long ago. 

Re where your music is stored…

Does the player have a Folders view (as well as Albums, Artists, Genres etc)? That would show you. Or download a File Manager app.

Badge

John, yes the Rocket Player has a view to see Albums, Artists  Playlist, etc.

John, yes the Rocket Player has a view to see Albums, Artists  Playlist, etc.

But is there a Folders view? That is what we are looking for. 

Badge

John, I decided to follow your advice to just create a manual connect to the shared iTunes music library on my PC and to forget about the third party iSyncr and Rocket Player. I am certain that iTunes is configured to share its Media file and that Windows 10 is configured to share that file with anyone on my private network. I followed the process outline on Sonos support for configuring Norton 360 to work with Sonos. Since making these configuration changes, I rebooted both the PC and the Phone.

Long story short. When I attempt to manually connect Sonos to the shared library, I get the error message that my computer is not responding.

Any ideas from you or anyone in the Sonos community would be helpful Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

John, I decided to follow your advice to just create a manual connect to the shared iTunes music library on my PC and to forget about the third party iSyncr and Rocket Player. I am certain that iTunes is configured to share its Media file and that Windows 10 is configured to share that file with anyone on my private network. I followed the process outline on Sonos support for configuring Norton 360 to work with Sonos. Since making these configuration changes, I rebooted both the PC and the Phone.

Long story short. When I attempt to manually connect Sonos to the shared library, I get the error message that my computer is not responding.

Any ideas from you or anyone in the Sonos community would be helpful Thanks!

Norton is junk IMHO, disable it entirely until you get this working.

Badge

controlav, thanks for the suggestion about Norton. I uninstalled Norton, rebooted the PCm and again attempted to connect with Sonos 2 over the phone as described above. Still the same error message. So it doesn’t seem to be Norton.

Can I just confirm?  You are following the instructions at the following link to set up the music library, and you are doing so using the Sonos controller for Windows on the computer where your music is stored?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

Badge

John, I’m feeling both foolish and frustrated after reading your question. I was attempting to set up the shared music library using Sonos on my cell phone, not on my PC. I read the article you attached and the setup went without a hitch. Sonos is in the process of updating music library files. I’m assuming this will take some time as there are almost 3000 songs on iTunes. While the update is going on, will I eventually be able to control and play this shared library using Sonos app on my cell phone? If so, will I still need to enter the address path to the shared file on my PC? This is really helpful. Thanks! 

That’s great news.  You can control from your cell phone app.  Once it is done it is done.  If you add more tracks just update the Sonos library, which can be done from any Sonos controller.  Or schedule a regular update.

The one downside to this is that the computer has to be on to use the library, so lots of users graduate to holding the tracks on a network drive.  For me the advantages greatly outweigh this anyway.

See how it goes.