Answered

Sonos 2 app won't install on Mac

• 30 June 2020
  • 9 replies

When I try to upgrade to the Sonos 2 app on my Macbook Air (using Mojave), it downloads and then when it tries to install, I get a failed message every time. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 July 2020, 00:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t know anything about Macs, but for someone to help you probably need to elaborate on “a failed message”.

OK, here’s what happens. I click to update the Sonos controller. It downloads the new software (Sonos 2) just fine. Then when it tries to install I get this message: “The Sonos controller update failed. An unexpected error occurred. Please try again.” I don’t think that adds much to what I wrote the first time but there you have it verbatim. And of course I’ve tried again, many times with the same result.

Have you tried to reboot the Mac?

Where are you downloading the controller from?

Why are you on Mojave, and not Catalina? Note, according to the supported OS FAQ, this shouldn’t be an issue, but I’m wondering if there might be something here that Sonos isn’t aware of.

Are you running any virus protection or firewall applications on your Mac?

What Sonos devices do you have?

Do you have a mobile device that can run S2?

For what it’s worth, I’m running MacOS 10.15.5 on a mid 2012 13 inch Air, and running the Sonos 12.0.1 (S2) app without issue. 

OK, here’s what happens. I click to update the Sonos controller. It downloads the new software (Sonos 2) just fine. Then when it tries to install I get this message: “The Sonos controller update failed. An unexpected error occurred. Please try again.” I don’t think that adds much to what I wrote the first time but there you have it verbatim. And of course I’ve tried again, many times with the same result.

I would perhaps try uninstalling the controller completely and then downloading the latest version from this LINK

On install choose the option to connect to the ‘existing system‘ and accept the firewall default setup settings, if prompted.

Hope that gets you back up and running with the latest software.

Thanks, Ken. That worked like a dream. I’m up and running.
David (aka googolman)

Not completely related but I don’t even see sonos 2 controller in the app store to download for mac…..

Not completely related but I don’t even see sonos 2 controller in the app store to download for mac…..

You can get the Mac Controller via this LINK, if you do need it?

Thanks Ken, That’s one step forward at least!

Now to get my sonos 1s recognised again!