Answered

Some devices not detected anymore after update

• 22 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Good morning,
in my house I have 2 Play 1 (in two separate rooms), 1 Playbar, and 1 SUB (in living room).

This morning the Sonos app asked me to update the software to the last version (I understood that is an update for adding Playbase features).

At the end of the installation it returns me an error (no specific number) and now i don't see anymore the Playbar and the SUB but only the two Play 1 devices.

I didn't change anything to the previous configuration (e.g. router or something else).

I Tried also to install them again but they are not detected anymore...what I have to do?

Please help me!

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 March 2017, 19:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Couple of suggestions.

1) Connect the "unseen" devices to your router temporarily with an ethernet cable, and make sure that they were updated properly.

2) Once you've done that, submit a system diagnostic so the folks at Sonos can take a look at the log files that get included to see if there's a particular issue showing up. Be sure to post the number here so they know which one to look at.
Thank you Airgetlam, I do really appreciate your help!
After few tentatives (e.g. re-install sw, connect devices with ethernet, etc), I was able to see again my unseen devices. I don't know what exactly happened, but for sure was related to the error after the installation of the new software update.
Most of us subscribe to the idea that it's rarely the update that causes the problem, but the fact that it forces a reboot of the speakers (necessary), which exposes issues in the local wifi network. Since it shows up immediately after you update, many people focus on that, since they're unaware of the reboot process. Working through the network stuff is almost a mandatory response here.

Many of us also recommend setting up reserved IP addresses for devices on the wifi networks, which will help keep these kind of issues from reoccurring. Since each router company handles it differently, it's hard to put together a guide, so we tend to point people at the manual for their own router. It's a few minutes of reading, comprehending, and about 30 seconds of effort, but most rewarding.

It is interesting to me that speakers tend to be much more sensitive than almost any other device to duplicate IP address issues, but I'd expect the same thing from a video streaming device, too. Computers rarely need a constant stream, only video and audio work in that fashion, even with occasional buffering.