Answered

SMB1 - Need Official Response from SONOS

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have been trying to get an official response from SONOS on their continued use of SMB1 which will be removed from various vendors products.  I have been using SONOS since it was introduced with various SYNOLOGY NAS and Windows based computers to store my ripped music. When SYNOLOGY releases DSM V7 they have indicated that SMB1 will be removed and Microsoft Windows has deprecated the protocol. 

I will NOT purchase another SONOS product until they provide an official answer on their plans to continue to support streaming music from a NAS that does NOT require the SMB1 protocol.

icon

Best answer by controlav 8 April 2021, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This has been discussed so many times.

Nobody knows when or even if.

See previous discussions on SMBv1 for why it is not easy to do.

If you are concerned you can use any of the work-arounds like the NAS to SMBv1 Gateway to keep SMBv1 security flaws from becoming a problem.

Not buying a new Sonos is not really the issue.  Lots of vulnerable people already have Sonos equipment talking to servers and NAS boxes.  So when will Sonos support SMB2 so we can turn SMB1 off.  It has flaws, the last bitcoin hack exploited SMB1 to spread.  We need to turn off SMB1 and move on to SMB2.  When will the Sonos app support SMB2 ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Sonos folks really should come up with some type of public statement, if nothing else it would avoid all the unhappy folks feeling they are ignoring the SMBv1 issue.

So many possible solutions too. My favorite is just stuffing a SMBv1 to NAS gateway into a Boost box, maybe just on top of the existing Boost code. Might need a bigger/second memory chip to hold the code but no other changes needed.

They could go so far as to add a USB port to the above and make it also serve as the necessary Sonos NAS using any USB expansion drive, hard, thumb or SSD.

They might never make a profit on it but it would end this type of topic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Stanley, I view the solution as a band-aid to a bigger issue that SONOS will not address.

Bruce, I agree that me not purchasing any new SONOS is not going to hurt their bottom line. I have been supporting them since the very first SONOS product was released. I am challenging all reviews of new SONOS products to make sure that they properly detail what is required to use the current SONOS system with a local NAS. Most of the reviews just regurgitate the company press release instead for doing a technical deep dive. 

Thank you both for your comments. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why isn’t a NAS to SMB v1 gateway a permanent solution? Well nearly permanent.

Mine is happily sitting here running away with zero issues and I expect the hardware to last for many years. If it dies spinning up a replacement is a few minutes effort.

You’re most likely to get the same ‘official response’ as all the other threads regarding this issue have….none. In general, Sonos does not reveal their software/support roadmap, no matter how many complaints there are. 

Just because you’re going to stop purchasing or recommending their product isn’t enough motivation for them to change their stance on that issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The last post is NOT THE ANSWER - SONOS users are looking for the company to respond with how they are going to move forward when the NAS vendors NO longer support SMB1. I also do not consider a SMB1 Gateway a long term solution.

SONOS needs to let their installed base know what their future plans are.

I am no longer purchasing or recommending SONOS until they OFFICIALLY respond.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only statements I can find from Sonos on NAS usage are here, and pretty clear on the SMB requirement: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

After years of asking and a lot of digging into the underlying issues of why Sonos hasn’t updated I realized it wasn’t likely to happen. Then S2 came along and the odds got slightly better but it is still a massive project.

Much simpler to just avoid the SMB v1 security issue by not using it for anything that needs security. A simple NAS (any protocol) to SMB v1 gateway is cheap, secure and effective.

A Raspberry Pi Zero W is plenty of computer: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Yes, I still have some components that are S1, however I have stopped all updates to S2 components until I get an official answer on the SMB1 requirements and long term support for streaming music from a NAS. 

I’d imagine that @ratty is correct re S1 kit - it has long been speculated that the hardware just doesn’t have enough resources to run a later kernel. 

I wish you luck in your quest - but I wouldn’t hold your breath, if I were you...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yes, I still have some components that are S1, however I have stopped all updates to S2 components until I get an official answer on the SMB1 requirements and long term support for streaming music from a NAS. 

In order to convert my system to S2 I need to update three GEN1 Play 5’s.

You evidently have an S1 system. The chances of SMBv2/3 being introduced on S1 must be infinitesimally small.