Siri Remote

I have four Apple TVs. One is connected to a Sonos Beam, one uses the speakers in the television, and two are connected to Sonos Playbars. Two of the Apple TVs use the new Siri Remote — one connected to a Playbar, the other to the Beam. Yesterday, July 29, both remotes ceased to control the volume on their connected Sonos products (Playbar and Beam). The remotes continue to control functions like power and navigation on the Apple TV, but not the volume. The Apple TV that is connected to the Playbar, but uses the older style remote continues to function properly. The only thing I can deduce is that for some reason, the newer remotes are no longer sending a compatible IR signal to the Sonos Beam and Sonos Playbar. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

4 replies

Double check that they are still set to be IR in Apple’s menu, then try re-setting them up in Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Recent Reddit threads say that you need to reboot the remote. Yes, even remotes need rebooting these days apparently.

I was completely unaware that this was possible :)

Here are the instructions on how to do this. 

Remote reboot + choosing “IR” instead of “Auto” for the remote function on the Apple TV did it for me. Thanks!