Question

Siri Integration

Siri is used by so many people, and now that HomePod is being released how will you compete with that Siri integration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Well, they've already announced their integration with Amazon's Alexa/Echo system, which appears to be coming out soonish. I suspect once they've finished that, and rolled it out, they'd be happy to work with another partner, be it Google or Apple, to do a similar thing, but it really relies on the other company, not Sonos, since there is a large amount of work on the other end to make the whole thing work. And I suspect, just like all of the music streams they've integrated, they can't go out and "steal" from a company, it requires cooperation on both sides.
Siri is pathetic compared to Alexa for home use. No contest. Thankfully, Sonos wisely chose to go with Alexa first.
If I were to guess, it had a lot to do with which company was willing to expend the engineering resources to work in parallel,.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm assuming Apple would be concerned about security when using siri, as we know amazon and google really don't give a damn about user privacy.
I'm assuming Apple would be concerned about security when using siri, as we know amazon and google really don't give a damn about user privacy.

Ask Jennifer Lawrence how she feels about Apple security and how they give a damn about user privacy. :8
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yeah, you probably haven't done much reading up on what actually occurred with "the fappening". It had nothing to do with Apple not giving a damn about user privacy, it was all about people being easily fooled ;)

It’s highly unlikely that the “hacker” was able to breach Apple’s security in general, but instead targeted specific victims using social engineering. They could also have used other less technical methods (it’s usually the non-tech method that turn out to be the culprit, btw).

Jennifer Lawrence was once quoted in a Time article about her email address containing a key word. Not a wise move. Never give clues in the public domain. Once an email address is known, a hacker could email the target person purporting to be something else. The target puts their email and password into the hacker’s fake page. Voila.

In the original “Fappening,” the hacker, identified as Ryan Collins, hacked around 50 iCloud and 72 Gmail accounts via a simple phishing scheme. From 2012 onward, Collins sent his victims emails that looked like notifications from Apple or Google in which he asked them to re-enter or provide their login data. It was that easy. People fell for it, and their privacy was violated.
*YAWN*
Userlevel 1
Badge
exactly 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How is the fact that a hacker was able to phish details of logins from various people evidence that Apple cares about security but Amazon and Google don't?
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you are speaking to me, I never said phishing was evidence that Apple cares about security, another user seems to believe phishing attacks that target the user and not the security put in place somehow equals Apple not caring about security. If I were to to provide evidence I would simply point to homekit's requirements:

"Apple requires device makers using both WiFi and Bluetooth LE to “use complicated encryption with 3072-bit keys, as well as the super secure Curve25519, which is an elliptic curve used for digital signatures and exchanging encrypted keys.”"

"Apple has spent time thinking this through. This is why it insists devices sold as being compatible with HomeKit implement tough security and privacy protections. These include end-to-end encryption, secure chips, and a range of other security measures. Apple wants you to know that when you do use HomeKit kit you are less likely to be attacked, or to see information about you subverted in unexpected ways.

"The benefits of this approach are tangible. Your kettle is unlikely to start emailing you advertising; your fridge probably won't be distributing fizzy drink and factory-farmed burger discount codes to your children, and hackers won’t be breaking into your bank account or home. Even with Apple, the connected age demands constant vigilance, you need to keep products updated and secure, however, unlike some others in the space, Apple wants to make it easy for you to do so."

"It's also unclear if Amazon vets the security standards of third-party devices before it lets them work with Alexa. With an open API designed to make it quick and easy to create an Alexa skill for specialized smart home control, the emphasis seems to be on growing the platform quickly, and not necessarily on ensuring that things are as secure as possible. There doesn't, for instance, seem to be much stopping the makers of the kinds of devices that got swept up in Friday's botnet attacks from jumping in with an Alexa skill of their own.

In other words, don't assume that a device has high security standards just because it works with Alexa."
Sounds like a lot of excuses for keeping a closed architecture than anything about security. There is absolutely nothing about a closed architecture that cannot be implemented in an open architecture, and I find the extremely vague "It's also unclear if Amazon vets the security standards of third-party devices before it lets them work with Alexa" to be speculative nonsense couched in carefully vetted legalese. Certainly Amazon's vetting process would be public and available, yet Apple is "unclear" on the subject? Just another Apple hit piece lapped up Apple fans.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Higher encryption sounds like excuses? smh....well, if that's the way you want to look at it 🙂
Userlevel 3
yawn